Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure treated tongue & groove cladding?

• 21-04-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

Did a search and couldn't find an answer so posting this new thread...

I'm doing up the garden at the moment, deck, borders, etc. Have a section of block wall that I want to clad with timber, I like the look of tongue-and-groove cladding, but can't find T&G timber thats been treated for external use. Anyone know where I can find this, and prices? Its only a small section, about 2.5m x 1.8m high.

Any and all help v welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm doing up the garden at the moment, deck, borders, etc. Have a section of block wall that I want to clad with timber, I like the look of tongue-and-groove cladding, but can't find T&G timber thats been treated for external use. Anyone know where I can find this, and prices? Its only a small section, about 2.5m x 1.8m high.

hi, have you tried any of the sawmills up that way? im in kilkenny but the two sawmills locally both import treated cladding so theres a good chance someone in galway does too. be worth a phonecall anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

eosirl08. wrote: »
    hi, have you tried any of the sawmills up that way? im in kilkenny but the two sawmills locally both import treated cladding so theres a good chance someone in galway does too. be worth a phonecall anyway

No, I tried a couple of builders providers and the usual B&Q, Woodies, etc. Will check out the sawmills, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

people who make garden sheds also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Cedar T&G can be used externally untreated. Naturally it can be treated too! But it will last for years untreated, as will Douglas Fir or Oak etc.
    Have you considered the type of wood you want to use?

RKQ wrote: »
    Cedar T&G can be used externally untreated. Naturally it can be treated too! But it will last for years untreated, as will Douglas Fir or Oak etc.
    Have you considered the type of wood you want to use?

Cedar definitely looks nice, will have a look for that too. Checking out a couple of places on a day off tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Look for a thing called shiplap, it's treated and it's used in the more expensive garden sheds. it's about €8 - €10 a length.

Found a nice treated weatherboard in one of the local builder's providers, shiplap profile, 4.8m board is €8.59. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hi there

I would suggest that you put a 2"x1" batton on the wall and then fix the shiplap to the batton it will be easier than all the drilling with the shiplap

Irish Fire wrote: »
    I would suggest that you put a 2"x1" batton on the wall and then fix the shiplap to the batton it will be easier than all the drilling with the shiplap

Cheers, yeah I figured that too, had some left over 2x1s (treated) from another job so they're fixed to the wall now with masonry bolts, will be fixing the shiplap to these...

Advertisement