Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninjamurai Hands on (New game from Mad blocker Alpha guys)

Options
  • 21-04-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭

In case anyone doesn't know the Irish developers Open Emotion studios, they are the team behind the brilliant Mad Blocker Alpha that came out earlier in the year, they have a new Mini game coming out soon called Ninjamurai.

I got a world exclusive chance to try it out yesterday :D. Its looking really good, below is my write up on it, this is the same text as on the site, but the link has some exclusive screen shots too if you fancy a look.

Ninjamurai is the next game in line for release on the PSP/PS3’s Mini’s market from the brilliant young Irish developer team at Open Emotion Studios. Earlier this year saw Open Emotion release their first Mini game, the critically acclaimed Mad Blockers Alpha which went on to receive a string of positive responses from both critics and fans alike, with its beautiful visuals, clever game play and excellent music.

If Mad Blockers pushed the idea of what I’ve come to expect from a Mini game, Ninjamurai looks set to totally blow all those preconceived ideas out of the water.

I was lucky enough today to get some hands on time with an early build of the game, and to say I’m impressed is an understatement.

Ninjamurai could be described as a modern take on an old classic. From the first moment you start to play this 2D side scrolling game you are reminded on the classic Shinobi series, with many subtle nods and winks to the retro classic, with its jumping crates, throwing knives and hacking sword play.

The more modern gaming influence become apparent later on, for example being able to change your attacking style to a much slower more measured approach allowing you to get in close and do some serious damage.

The game can be played using either fast or slow option and each approach has its own benefits, the faster option allows you to quickly avoid enemies and traverse large expanses and the slower option wields far greater power when faced with a fight.

The combat also has a few different attacking methods, from throwing daggers, to slashing sword attacks, but that’s not all you have to look out for. Levels are made up of lots of different obstacles, melting ice platforms, spikes and bottomless pits to name a few of the many different ways you can meet your demise.

The game is set to release with around 18 levels included in the story mode, with a number of tricky boss battles to face along the way. Once unlocked the levels are then playable in the time trails section where you have infinite lives and you simply try to beat the fastest time.

The game is looking really good, again they have used the lovely hand drawn back grounds and animation (similar to the style seen in Mad Blocker) which is all done in house along with the music and scripting. The gameplay is running smoothly now and the story looks intriguing, telling the tale of a half Ninja, half Samurai hell bent on revenge.

Ninjamurai will be coming out on the Mini’s market in the first half of the year so will be available to PSP and PS3 owners, and perhaps on other formats later in the year too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looking forward to seeing what the lads come up with next. its great htat an irish developer is getting some recognition, I think mad blocker went on the US psn store recently

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait for this, looking class so far and will def be getting it on release in May I think. Great preview as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

My preview is also available from http://bit.ly/jW05fo (with pretty pictures)

Ninjamurai Preview
    Limerick based Open Emotion Studios are back with a new title destined for the PS3/PSP Mini's market. Ninjamurai puts you in control of a young ninja/Samurai known as Ninjamurai, as he tries to outrun a number of evil forces.

The artwork is subtle, simple yet gives the impression of being carefully crafted. After seeing the artists at work at their studio in Innovation Works, it is evident that a lot of care and detail is being put into the work. Some recent titles to hit XBLA and, when it was active, PSN have shown that simple graphics can suit the game. This is certainly the case in Ninjamurai.

The gameplay is fluid and thankfully the controls are responsive. When the character is running at full tilt across dangerous, and sometimes collapsing, terrain the last thing needed is an input delay. Players of games such as N+ or Super Meat Boy will have to make a minor adjustment as there is no wall jumping up a single wall. As a player of such games, that was one of the first things I tried to do. Thankfully, there is usually an easier way to travel across and up a level. Learn from my mistakes!

Ninjamurai is set to cater for a variety of gamers. Rather than putting together a formula and hoping that all playstyles are catered for, Open Emotion Studios have implemented a few different features which should fit the bill. There are two stances: one is a running stance with slow attacks, while the other is a combat stance with less overall speed but quick and deadly attacks. This enables players to battle tooth and nail, or stealth their way through a level.

In addition, it is possible to unlock five outfits. Again, these can cater for or adapt the way in which a player plays. For example, one has less health points for Ninjamurai, but enables the player to inflict more pain.

The level designer is clearly fond of the classic "pit-of-death". While this keeps the player on their toes, it can also make it quite nerve wracking when told to wall slide down. It doesn't make it any more reassuring when that comment is from an Open Emotion staffer, I can tell you! However, the team has seen difficulties that players have faced and are actively working to rectify this issue. It is one of the few things that slows progress down, but if sorted will have players blasting through at a mile a minute.

The pit-of-death is a classic element that designers were fond of in the past: Remember Mario? That is not the only classic touch that a player will see. Certain gameplay elements and level features are a well implemented homage to old school games. A certain age group of gamers will feel that surge of nostalgia down the spine. Unfortunately, I have come to the realisation that I fit that age bill! Worse things could happen though; it allows me to appreciate these references.

Ninjamurai is designed to have people play again and again. A number of playmodes are on offer. These include a hardcore mode designed to test Ninjamurai skills, speed runs and a survival mode. Each is a unique take on the game and challenges the player to get better and better. In a novel touch, Open Emotion Studios has implemented in-game achievements.

Ninjamurai is shaping up to be an exciting release from a home grown development studio. The aimed release date is in May 2011, but the studio is keeping tight lipped on an exact date at this point in time.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Word from the Open Emotion Studio boys on Facebook that Ninjamurai is dropping later today on the EU PSN store. Will definitely be picking this up. Good Luck with the launch OES!

Advertisement