Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you use in your weedwiper?

• 21-04-2011 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

We have a weedwiper 15 years now. Turned away from using it much in the last 5 years as we bought a sprayer and it was faster and more efficient. Now with the price of fertilizer, i have sown a bit of clover and the weed wiper is the machine of choice to kill the rushes but protect the clover. Also, spray has become expensive and the weed licker is quite an efficient method of killing rushes.

So for anyone that has a weed wiper, what herbicide do you use in it? We have always used a Glyphosate (mostly "buggy") to great effect but it can often leave drip lines and yellow patches in the odd place. I have heard of people using mortone. Does it work as well as if you sprayed it on? Has anyone used MCPA ??? I have found MCPA to be far surperior to Mortone for spraying on - it has a faster kill of the rushes and does not stunt the grass as much.

So what do you use??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

reilig wrote: »
    We have a weedwiper 15 years now. Turned away from using it much in the last 5 years as we bought a sprayer and it was faster and more efficient. Now with the price of fertilizer, i have sown a bit of clover and the weed wiper is the machine of choice to kill the rushes but protect the clover. Also, spray has become expensive and the weed licker is quite an efficient method of killing rushes.

So for anyone that has a weed wiper, what herbicide do you use in it? We have always used a Glyphosate (mostly "buggy") to great effect but it can often leave drip lines and yellow patches in the odd place. I have heard of people using mortone. Does it work as well as if you sprayed it on? Has anyone used MCPA ??? I have found MCPA to be far surperior to Mortone for spraying on - it has a faster kill of the rushes and does not stunt the grass as much.

So what do you use??

never tried it anything in the licker other than roundup, it does end up marking the grass in spots though say maybe mcpa might be worth a shot, still the roundup works so well its hard to bother with anything else, i notice i have a few fields where there are rushes but not the big clumps, just these small light little ones that spread over a big area, you wouldnt notice them when there is a bit of grass and the licker doesnt really catch them..a job for the sprayer i suppose, just out of curiosity how much mcpa would you mix with a 400 L sprayer tank of water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

just out of curiosity how much mcpa would you mix with a 400 L sprayer tank of water?

Mine is a 600l sprayer and I use approximately 5 litres of MCPA for a full tank.
    (A 10l drum of MCPA makes 2 tanks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

I'm just about to use the weedlicker for the first time in about 5 or 6 years I'd say. Not because we've been completely free from rushes, (if they were a cash crop we'd be millionaires :D) but like yourself reilig, we found the sprayer to be faster. Have just a few small plots to do so I thought I'd use the licker, and with the weather being so nice, I'd rather be on the quad than the tractor!

We always used Buggy. Found it gave pretty good results. Would be interested to hear what other alternatives people use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

Hi Reilig.
    i use Gallop 360 mixed about 10:1, find it way better than any Rush spray when you are using a weed licker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Use a glyphosate (gallop) every 3 years mixed about 50:1.
    Mow or top rushes after 7 days and fertilize. gives great results every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I just bought a weed wiper last week and was wondering if I should top first and
    wipe th regrowth or can I just wipe and cut when they are dead
    I have enough work besides burning diesel and topping twice if I dont need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Never used one, but from reading about them and peoples comments if it's a heavy infestation you might get a better kill out of topping them first, wait for the regrowth then wiping them as you wouldn't be wiping old dead rushes as well and possibly missing newly growing rushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JRF

I used Buggy this year and it was not great with strong rushes. Would I be better with roundup or galop?

Advertisement