Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for June

• 21-04-2011 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

English: Boland, Dickinson, Cultural context
    Business: Contract law, Breakeven charts, insurance, legislative measures regarding the consumer
    Economics: Oligopoly mixed with other market structure I think imperfect, international trade, taxation national debt, a Q on the census or IMF or Nama
    History: Economy under Stalin and Lenin in soviet union, Hitlers foreign policy, question based on armed conflict in Korea and/or Vietnam, civil rights movement
    Geography: plate tectonics and earthquakes, learn sketch maps like the back of your hand, land use models adapt to Dublin, effects of emigration on a donor region

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd second those English and Business tips except i'll add Wordsworth as a very possible candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

How do youz know?

We don't! They're just predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

What are you basing them on though?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

Intuition and epiphany
    Another for geography geoecolgy Q: human interaction with a biome

• Advertisement

Whiskey757 wrote: »
    What are you basing them on though?
    Educated guesses of ourselves and our teachers (Well that's what i'm basing mine on anyway :D)

I don't really focus too much on them though. Far too dangerous to try and guess what will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Business: Contract law, Breakeven charts, insurance, legislative measures regarding the consumer
    Economics: Oligopoly mixed with other market structure I think imperfect, international trade, taxation national debt, a Q on the census or IMF or Nama
    History: Economy under Stalin and Lenin in soviet union, Hitlers foreign policy, question based on armed conflict in Korea and/or Vietnam, civil rights movement
    Geography: plate tectonics and earthquakes, learn sketch maps like the back of your hand, land use models adapt to Dublin, effects of emigration on a donor region

Err.. What? Like the laws?

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Err.. What? Like the laws?
    Consumer rights and all the legalities that relate to them. Small claims court e.t.c. Not just the laws.

Consumer rights and all the legalities that relate to them. Small claims court e.t.c. Not just the laws.

Ah yeah that's what I meant! My teacher tipped that for the ABQ, but she's been tipping a lot of stuff for business..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Accounting
    2. Published
    3. Tabular
    4. Reval
    5. Ratios
    6. Incomplete(CB)
    7. Club Accounts
    8. Marginal/Flexible (60% v 40% or something like that)
    9. Budgeting or Flexible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

English;
    • Boland,
    • Dickinson,
    • Frost,
    • Wordsworth.
    Do 6 completely different essays for paper1 now & you'll be nearly garaunteed to be able to work one of them in!
    Economics;
    Imperfect competition(50-60 marks) with a small role for perfect competition(15-25marks).
    Oligopoly is always thought to be coming up has been tipped since 2008, if it comes up will likely be an independent (75 mark)question. Oligopoly wouldn't be a great topic to mix with imperfect aswell.I'd agree with the NAMA, IMF, CENSUS assumption one of them is likely to come up.

Geography;
    • Waterfall.
    • Karst landscape.
    • Human interaction rock cycle.
    • either igneous or sedimentary rock formation.
    • Secondary activities europe.
    • Primary activities ireland.
    • Culture sub/continental.
    • Migration.
    Business;
    Expect Management to dominate paper, just make sure you know units 3,4 & 5 exceptionally well & it's easy to get a B. If you're trying to push for an A i'd recommend covering unit 6 well too.
    Short Questions; Just do the last 12 years then make sure you know the institutions of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

DaveMur1 wrote: »

Do 6 completely different essays for paper1 now & you'll be nearly garaunteed to be able to work one of them in!

do not do this as they will see a mile away that you ad it prepared and will therefore mark you a lot harder

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Don't bother predicting for business. Its a waste of time. I thought debt/equity ratio wouldn't come up 2 years in a row and it did. Cost me my A1. take a look at this video of predictions and then take a look at the 2010 paper and see how much of it came up

Some came up but most didn't and this guy was really good at the predictions bar the whole "Boland" thing.

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC033ALP000EV.pdf (Last years business paper)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I think if there's one thing people should have learned from last year it's not to bother predicting the poets for English. Through this site, my friends, and my teachers; I've heard countless different combinations of "dead certs." It pains me to say it but we might as well just learn 5 and give ourselves no question of getting a poet we've studied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I think if there's one thing people should have learned from last year it's not to bother predicting the poets for English. Through this site, my friends, and my teachers; I've heard countless different combinations of "dead certs." It pains me to say it but we might as well just learn 5 and give ourselves no question of getting a poet we've studied.

Reason Bolan didn't come up was because her grand daughter sat her leaving last year. Was on RTE after the English papers last year I remember.

If you studied, Boland, Dickinson and Frost.... and none came up, I'd be amazed/

Dunno why people got so fixated on the poetry though. It's not worth the most marks, you have a better idea what is coming up anyways. Stop wasting your time and focus on something more productive like Hamlet. Poetry is simply learn off a few quotes for each poet, know the poems, know the poets style and be able to write good English.

Every year people panic about poets... laughable really when you consider the amount of work needed for other aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Learn Boland, Dickinson and Rich and you're guaranteed 1 of them. Feminists would raise a shít storm if a woman poet didn't come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

In my own opinion, it's most likely to be Dickinson, Boland, Frost and either Hopkins or Wordsworth.

If Boland does show a face this year, I really doubt it's going to be a nice question. People are expecting her back this year so they'll probably throw out quite a difficult question. I remembering seeing something about Mythology in her poems. I stayed well away from it...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Why do people think Hopkins won't be coming up?
    I think it's going to be either Boland or Frost, but not both.

Keano! wrote: »
    Reason Bolan didn't come up was because her grand daughter sat her leaving last year. Was on RTE after the English papers last year I remember.

I remember hearing Boland was on the first paper (as in the paper that got handed out early and had to be re-colected and changed). Could be wrong though?

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I remember hearing Boland was on the first paper (as in the paper that got handed out early and had to be re-colected and changed). Could be wrong though?

Wasn't that 2 years ago?

• Advertisement

You're right. :o My mistake!

Boland is so likely to come up.

But that may either mean she will actually come up or the SEC might purposefully not put her on the paper to throw people off.

Even if she is on the paper you're guaranteed that the question will be awkward to prevent people from regurgitating essays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Two topics likely to come up covered with free notes by Nina Noble online, handy for any economics heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

For history I dont know if stalin will come, he came up last year , surely mussulini is due an apperance or even britain. Im expecting the civil rigths for america or the decline of american foreign ploicy. What type of hamlet qestion can we expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I've a funny feeling Boland won't come up.

She's on the course for next year too, meaning they could not put her on this year, teaching the lesson that, once again, it's a bad idea to put all your hopes on one poet, and then do it again next year (or put her on this year or next year).

She COULD come up this year, but I don't know how people are getting the idea that it's a certainty, it isn't by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

It's probably easier just to leave Boland out. If she does come up it will be a horrible question about mythology or women's perspective's on society.

It's actually probably better to leave all the woman out,if you look over the last few years the questions on women are nearly always harder than the male's questions.

Study Frost & Wordsworth well & i'd say your probably sorted for the poetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

RMD wrote: »
    Learn Boland, Dickinson and Rich and you're guaranteed 1 of them.

That's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Maths: only do the minimum 6 questions. choose your best 6 and do them and only them. if you have half hour at the end look over what you have done. if your unsure what your best 6 are look at all the parts and tick off the parts you can do and then do the ones with the most ticks.

Physics: pretty much the same as the above. choose your questions wisely and only do the minimum. make sure you do each part of each question as they are not numbered it is easy to miss one. i did last year. so i'd advise numbering each question on the paper and then put a X beside it when you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

IMO:

History: Hitler Foreign Policy, Anti Semitism by Hitler, Growth of Fascism in Europe, Causes and consequences of Easter rising 1916, Impact of WW2 on the city of belfast Coleraine Contraversy

***Hitler and Mussolinis relationship maybe?

English: theme or issue, cul context, frost, boland

Biology: Respiration, DNA experiment, enzymes, osmosis exper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Two topics likely to come up covered with free notes by Nina Noble online, handy for any economics heads.

Where can I find this? :) I typed in Nina Noble online in google, but nevertheless, I didn't really find what I was looking for :D

Advertisement