Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips needed for desolate drummer

• 21-04-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've been drummin as a hobby now for 3-4 years and while I enjoy it immensely, I get hugely frustrated at my lack of endurance and speed. When playing up-tempo songs my arm gets VERY tired(Very quickly), starts to cramp and I lose control.

I've never got any professional lessons and i'm pretty sure this is playing a big part in my problem. My technique must be awful.

I really want to improve and and get to the next level!

Any tips/pointers/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Jimmy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I've been drummin as a hobby now for 3-4 years and while I enjoy it immensely, I get hugely frustrated at my lack of endurance and speed. When playing up-tempo songs my arm gets VERY tired(Very quickly), starts to cramp and I lose control.

I've never got any professional lessons and i'm pretty sure this is playing a big part in my problem. My technique must be awful.

I really want to improve and and get to the next level!

Any tips/pointers/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Jimmy

Sounds to me like you already have the answer! I don't play drums myself but find yourself a good teacher, get a few lessons and have them assess your technique. You could change the word "drums" above to any instrument and the answer would be the same.

I'd say check out www.drummingireland.com for teacher recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Lessons are vitally important and so is a good teacher. You are tensing up and getting cramps because you are not relaxing.

Happens when trying to play fast songs. When playing fast rock tracks like early Bloc Party or alternative/punk stuff I used to tense up like mad and I couldn't play fast as a result. I can play them with ease now. The lessons helped. It's very hard to develop as a drummer without a good teacher. You'll notice how relaxed the top drummers are in the way the sit at the drum stool no matter how fast they are playing. They can play all the fast rolls because of how composed they are.

You sound like you have been practicing a lot judging by the amount of years you have been playing. You sound good but you just need to learn the techniques to play fast without tension. The wrist action is way more important than hitting the drums as hard as possible. I can get a nice consistent beat hard beat and then when doing fills and rolls I relax my wrists as much as possible and I have really good roll speed now. Learn these techniques and you will improve a lot. Then you will be rocking like always wanted to be in no time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JimmyMagee53

Thanks lads, i've a lesson next week in Dundalk, sure i'll let ye know how i get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JimmyMagee53

Can anyone explain the difference between a 'single stroke four rudiment' and a 'single stroke roll rudiment'.They appear on a paper to occur on the same time and as if they should be played the same but SOUND different when played.

Why is this?

Regards,

Jimmy

Advertisement