Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone been road-biking in Algarve/South Spain

• 21-04-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Decided to head off for a week to cycle from Faro to Malaga over five or so days mid next month. I'm fairly used to distance cycling, hilly 65 to 120km per spin in wicklow would be fairly normal for me for more than a few years now, back to back days are fine but haven't really done any overnight touring as such.

Anyone been cycling down that part of the world have any tips for a suggested route? I'm thinking coastal but don't mind heading inland. Also gonna take my carbon focus bike just cause the mountain bike is wrecked after a hard winter and its too costly to get up to scratch and I hate cycling roads on it for any long length of time. Would my 25 ultra sport tires be ok on the roads there, maybe even my spare 23's? Too small for a slightly loaded bike or hot roads? Looking to keep baggage fairly minimal and light so no camping but any tips for anything totally necessary to bring along bar the obvious tools and tubes and suncream?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/372587

Reckon this would be fairly doable in Five days?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

Was cycling west of Faro last September/Oct. Lovely spot and in general the road surface is better than Ireland and Drivers where no worse. The main roads are ideal for road cycling and there is a poorly signed route that goes from the western tip of the Algarve to the Spanish border and beyond I believe. More Details here http://www.ecoviasalgarve.org/ . Once you get use of how the signs work and the blue strips on some of the road you can more or less make out the path. I am not sure this would be always suited to a road bike but on a tourer you would be grand. Lovely country,people and food. Enjoy.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The roads are good but 25s would still be better if carrying any load. One thing I would be concerned about is taking a carbon bike on the plane- you won't be able to bring a bike box as you will be leaving from a different airport, but I would not be so comfortable carrying a carbon racer unpacked. I would suggest packing it in a cardboard box like they come from the manufacturer, dumping it in Faro and then finding a new one from a bike shop in Malaga. Leave time for this, or ideally contact a bike shop in Malaga before you go. Many years ago I did similar and picked up a new box in Madrid without too much difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I haven't been to that part of Portugal so cant comment but I have driven the A-7 road from Malaga to Gibraltar and i wouldn't consider it a good cycle route, a lot of traffic and a very narrow margin / cycle lane.
    The views aren't great either. Have a look at it on Google Maps / Street View and see what you think.

If it was me, I'd prefer to stay inland from Medina, maybe Ubrique - Ronda - Malage. Much quiter roads and more scenic.

Thanks lads appreciate the input! really looking forward to this. Yea quite worried about my carbon baby alright, definatly looking into getting a box for the way over anyhows now! Mostly worried about the forks with no wheel in transit. Can only take a chance and hope it all works out. Thanks for that coastwatch, will defiantly look at trying a different route. Theres a part of me that likes the idea of somewhat flat coastal road and beaches but mountains are more fun :) cheers

• Advertisement

Just a question about touring solo... what do you do with your bike/gear if you were to say pass by a supermarket or want to pop into a shop for a bit? Lock it obviously is the answer but what about bags etc would rural towns and villages andalucia be high crime turn around and its gone style. Excuse my ignorance in advance!

You can get a spacer to put in the fork in any bike shop, they come with new bikes. A QR bar bag is a very good idea for popping into shops- put everything of value in that and then just click it off and take it with you into the shop. Also helps weight balance, on that bike I think you would want to keep it very light on the back with a saddlebag, no rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

coastwatch wrote: »
    I haven't been to that part of Portugal so cant comment but I have driven the A-7 road from Malaga to Gibraltar and i wouldn't consider it a good cycle route, a lot of traffic and a very narrow margin / cycle lane.
    The views aren't great either. Have a look at it on Google Maps / Street View and see what you think.

If it was me, I'd prefer to stay inland from Medina, maybe Ubrique - Ronda - Malage. Much quiter roads and more scenic.

Would have to agree with you there.the a7 is like cycling on the naas dual carriageway but in the sun. Am going to puerto banus for 10 days in June and am considering renting a bike for a couple of spins. ...inland of course. Anyone any ideas on renting a decent bike around that area?

cool, thanks a mill for the tips. I'm not hoping to bring too much except some clothes, some bike tools and spares and my camera with a few lenses. have a rack and just ordered a bar bag, hoping about 30litres will be more than enough. Thanks for that re route I have it down to this now which looks good now for a six day trip in the mountains so can spend some time doing a bit of exploring and hanging around, it'll be nice to spend a day on the beach at the end too.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/375692

I'm only gonna bring my good mtb shoes, there wouldn't be any problem with recessed cleats at the airport security? I should take the cleats off maybe?

I have often walked through security with SPD shoes, just take them off and put them through the scanner as they can set off the metal detector otherwise.

I wouldn't put a rack on a carbon bike that is not designed for it. Use a saddlebag that attaches to the saddle or seatpost, and keep it under 3.5kg.

For further weight saving you can go to the beach in cycling shorts and don't even look ridiculous unless they are bibs. In those temperature the pad will dry quickly.

• Advertisement

cool, yea wanted to get a saddlebag but them carradice bags are completly sold out pretty much everywhere ;( half thinking of using my 20 litre hiking back pack which is quite good and compact and fits snug around my body. Have done some long spins with it before. Will see what kinda weight it is when I load everything into it. But yea not so confident about this pannier neither! will probably be sending it back

Advertisement