Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants or Funding for MAsters in England???

Options
  • 21-04-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi all, so basically I'm a third year undergrad student but am looking at my opitions to go onto a masters after 4th year as at the moment the is almost zero work in my field of study!!
    Necessary grades etc. should not be a problem; but I'm confused about what funding options would be available....to VEC's or Conty councils still provide grants for postgrads in England or only in Ireland???
    If not are there any other funding options?
    I really have my heart set on an Msc in Durham, but need some form of funding or scholarship as i also have a young child and honestly in the current economic situation i dont think i would be granted a loan big enough to cover fees, living expenses, childcare etc for a whole year!!!
    Just Thought someone out there might know whats available???

Thanks all :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

You won't be covered for a grant or fees in the UK. Only Ireland and Northern Ireland is covered for both.
    Not sure whats on offer over there. You need to contact your college to see whats available. I feel you need to be a resident in the UK to be eligible for any funding there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Most universities offer bursaries/scholarships for postgraduates. They're normally advertised on the website under funding. They range pretty widely in terms of amount and you'll need good marks. There's also the research councils, but I'm pretty certain you'd need to be doing a research masters and you'll only be eligible for fees unless you've been resident in the UK for three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sligo22

Thanks for you're replies; this has pretty much confimed what i had come across already by searching the internet! Grades would'nt be a problem my GPA has always kept me at a 1st class honours level, but it Seems i may have to stick to Ireland!! Oh well, there an MA in Cork that is very promising as well, and at least that way i will definately get my fees paid and keep my grant that way :)

Advertisement