Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Alert - Swords - Suspicious Device

Options
  • 21-04-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭

Anyone in the Swords area, be careful to avoid the main street for safety reasons and also in regards to traffic restrictions/ congestion.

A suspicious device strapped(?) to the bottom of a car was driven up to the Garda station about an hour ago.

Army bomb disposal are on their way.

Piece on RTÉ here http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0421/swords.html
    The main street in Swords, Co Dublin has been closed off following the discovery of a suspect device under a car.
    A man drove up to Swords Garda Station at around 2.30pm this afternoon and told gardaí there was a suspicious object under his car.
    The garda station and the surrounding shops and businesses have been evacuated.
    The area has been sealed off and the army bomb disposal team has been called in.
    Gardaí are warning motorists to avoid the area until the security alert is over.

Although, nothing has been confirmed yet... it's a pretty scary thought for this to happen in such a populated place. At least the second such incident in the past 3 - 6 months as well... (device found under a car near the Wright Venue).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

edit: forget it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

he saw a suspicious object under his car and drove it to the cop shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Wait, let me get this straight, he saw a "suspicious device" under his car so he decided to get in and drive it into the town to the Garda station!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pavilons affected? Want to head up there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Bonus points to anyone who shoots the defusing with a fisheye!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

People this thick shouldn't really be allowed drive. Or use metal cutlery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

A man drove up to Swords Garda Station at around 2.30pm this afternoon and told gardaí there was a suspicious object under his car.

maybe he ran over a detective :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

All normal again now, everything reopened.

About an hour ago:

1b904.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Had to evacuate Penneys. Didn't get to buy new shoes! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

i know im jumping the gun and all but yet another example of scumbag drug dealers, directly or indirectly holding us all to ransom. not content with the fact that theyre peddling misery and death, they now feel the need to peddle it in another way affecting thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

What kind of p7onker drives a bomb to a dense urban area with a bust junction nearby? LOL, any chance we could bring back hanging for a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

PCPhoto - do not post in this thread again.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Its terrible people are getting nervous,driving the car though to the Garda was a bit silly.Should have walked away from the car and got security to clear the streets away from it.Not turn engine on and drive it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

RTE wrote:
    No explosive content was found.

Strange event so
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    PCPhoto - do not post in this thread again.

HB

in fairness to him he was only offering to facilitate anyone who wanted to get photos to newspapers as per previous news event where users successfully got half a dozen photos in national newspapers (some front page), he wasn't getting anything business-wise from it himself

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

in fairness to him he was only offering to facilitate anyone who wanted to get photos to newspapers as per previous news event where users successfully got half a dozen photos in national newspapers (some front page), he wasn't getting anything business-wise from it himself
    If you have an issue with moderator actions, PM the mods - do not respond in-thread

Thanks

Beasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I heard that when the guards asked why the guy had driven his car when he thought there was a bomb under it he replied "isn't that what insurance is for"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

This was some kind of farce or hoax. I heard from a Garda I know that the whole thing was a loose exhaust. If thats the case this individual should be tarred and feathered and made to sweep the streets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I was in airside the other day and seen a guy, in TAxi...use a mirror on a handle to inspect under his car.

Just wondering , is this something we should be conserned about.I was wondering what he was doing, than the following day I read this thread.
    Strange stuff.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't think this is anything the general public should concern themselves about, and I'm certainly not going to start looking under my car for "suspicious devices".

It seems to me that the very small number of "real" incidents to date have targeted individuals who probably knew they were involved in activities that could make them a target of someone.

I am sure there would be some official statement if anyone in authority thought there was a risk of random attacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

It was his wife. Turned out it was a tracking device on his car. Actually quite common I hear in divorce cases in Ireland when you want to settle out of court. The things you can buy on the net!

Evening Herald
    By Cormac Byrne

Wednesday April 27 2011

A MAN who ran screaming from his car in Swords, thinking there was a bomb underneath it is believed to have been bugged by his wife.

The man, who is understood to be a Nigerian national, ran into Swords Garda Station in north Dublin to report a suspect object underneath his car.

The station and surrounding vehicles were evacuated while the army bomb squad made their way to the scene.

After the device was examined it was found not to have any explosive content but is instead believed to have been a tracking device.

The man now believes that the device was placed on his vehicle by a private detective hired by his wife who thought he might be having an affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cathy01 wrote: »
    I was in airside the other day and seen a guy, in TAxi...use a mirror on a handle to inspect under his car.

Just wondering , is this something we should be conserned about.I was wondering what he was doing, than the following day I read this thread.
    Strange stuff.

Yeah, I would think it is something to be concerned about.
    Why does a taxi driver do this?
    Generally these bombs are targeted for two reasons depending on location.
    1. Terrorism using religion as an excuse.
    2. Drugs gangs/criminals targeting each other.
    I doubt, based on where you seen this taxi driver that 1 was the reason he was worried about his car having a bomb under it.

One would be concerned as to why a taxi driver believes he may be the target of a car bomb and ask ones self would it be sensible to get into a car with him - knowing that he himself believes his life could be in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

[QUOTE=kippy;71919997
    One would be concerned as to why a taxi driver believes he may be the target of a car bomb and ask ones self would it be sensible to get into a car with him - knowing that he himself believes his life could be in danger.[/QUOTE]

I wasnt going to get in the car with him, I was waiting to get a radio fitted to my car.
    It was a strange thing to do.

Advertisement