Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast of Wales

• 21-04-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Bit bored, waiting for 5 o'clock.

Was just wondering is there any place on the Waterford coast or up the Comeraghs that you could see the coast of Wales on a clear day with a good set of binoculars. I know there's parts of Wexford that you can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Bit bored, waiting for 5 o'clock.

Was just wondering is there any place on the Waterford coast or up the Comeraghs that you could see the coast of Wales on a clear day with a good set of binoculars. I know there's parts of Wexford that you can.

No. It's almost the same distance between the Comeraghs and Wexford coast as between the Wexford coast and Wales.

I've often been up in the Comeraghs, even in early mornings in winter when the air is really clear, and I've never so much as managed to see the Wexford coast from the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Whatever about seeing it but you can listen to Beat along the Welsh coast.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

They would want to be serious binoculars to see over to Wales from the South East!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

If you drive to Co Wexford and go to Forth Mountain near Wexford town (you can drive to the top) then on a really good day you can see Wales. You can also see it easily from any of the peaks in the Blackstairs mountains (White Mountain, Mt Leinster, Blackstairs itself) assuming the day is clear enough but this recent weather is terrible for visibility.

Surprising dayshah can't see the Wexford coast from the Comeraghs as you can see the Comeraghs from Wexford most clear days. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Im living near Kilmac, on high ground near me on a clear day you can see the smoke coming from the chimney in Belview Port, and when there is a fireworks display on, i can see it from the same high ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

bkehoe wrote: »
    Surprising dayshah can't see the Wexford coast from the Comeraghs as you can see the Comeraghs from Wexford most clear days. ;)

Perhaps I saw it but just thought it was the sky. I expect its hard to tell the sea from the sky from those distances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Last weekend, I was up at Mahon Falls and could see the northern coast of France, but then I lost signal and Google Earth froze :o

Advertisement