Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landrover Series IIA, Series III or something else

Options
  • 20-04-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on where to pick up an old defender such as an 80 Reg or there abouts. The plan is to buy an old defender with a good chassis, prob send of the chassis to be galvanised and then slowly do it up to a reasonable condition to drive on the road using hopefully a lot of its own parts and picking up bits along the way as needed,

Obviously the idea of getting an old land rover is to get vintage tax & insurance on it, I will still drive something else day to day but i want this as a fun vehicle for the weekends,

I am aware there will prob be a bit of work in it but thats fine, Dont mind at all and am in no panic,

I cant seem to find an old cheap defender though to get me started, want to spend as little money as possible on it and just spend money as needed over the next year or so,

So if anyone knows of a old cheap defender with a log book please let me know or else you might point me in the direction of where to look,

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

i think you will find a better selection in the UK. my friend looked into doing something similar a few years back but didn't find anything suitable in Ireland. he ended up getting 1 in the isle of man but also found a few in the UK - bristol area i think. goodl uck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Any problem getting it in from the UK and registered here with the correct year??

Am looking to spend as little as possible to get started so getting one in from the UK is going to cost money thats all,

Thanks though,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Pre 1980 will not be a Defender, I presume you need a Series 3 88 or 109 Land Rover (you need to get the terms right or you'll be searching for the wrong thing or getting flamed in certain quarters ;)). 110s weren't introduced until 1983 (and the Defender name in 1992)

They do come up on Donedeal regularly but condition can be very variable. Series 3 production went right up to 1984 so check the numbers carefully, ex military ones especially tend to get chassis plates swapped :rolleyes:

Rust will be your big enemy, unless you enjoy welding check the chassis and bulkhead carefully. Restoration is easy with a huge supply of cheap spares but it can soon all add up.

Also keep an eye on the Ireland forum on Land Rover Addicts, anything decent (and a lot of spares) will show up there http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php

Hi,

Just looking for some advice on getting a landrover, (maybe)

I want the ability to use it on the road when needed and even for a few long journeys like Dublin to Cork etc.

Mainly however it will be used off road, in the snow, bringing the dogs around etc,

I have been offered a Series IIA (1971) which seems to be in good Nic. I am debating should i wait and try and get a series III???

I will prob try upgrade to disc brakes, upgrade shocks, seats etc to try make it a little more comfy but would one be better than the other for this??

Lastly am i looking at the wrong thing all together, should i get a Landcruiser or something instead???

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Merged your threads, looks like you've been doing a bit of studying ;)

Series IIA if in good nick is quite desirable as a collectors item, some reckon it was the last proper Land Rover before they started using plastics :rolleyes: It will have no synchro in 1st or 2nd so I hope you can double declutch ;) The heater will be primitive as well.

Series 3 has a bit more comfort and a plastic dash but we are then in to the BL years when they didn't care and used crap steel so you have to check for rust carefully, you don't find many 75 -79 ones still on the road.

Not sure I'd want to use one on long runs although parabolic springs, decent seats etc can make them more comfortable. You can get kits to fit disc brakes but they are expensive, drums are fine if maintained properly.

It's a budget way of getting an off-roader with vintage tax and if you enjoy tinkering with mechanical stuff, otherwise if you just want to turn a key and go, look at something like a Suzuki Vitara

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the replies,

I have an old Vitara (not road worthy), Its an 89 so no vintage tax and it wont pass an NCT every year,

ye i like tinkering away with Mechanical stuff so dont mind that part.

Would you think a Series IIA or Series III would be a better job for what i want???

Thanks,

Both will do the same job, apart from the 1st/2nd synchro issue they are mechanically the same. IIA has more character (although a 71 will have headlights in the wings, not the grille) but less interior trim (ie none :D)

Spares support is as good for both and can be made more useable without affecting their character. For example, dropping a 200Tdi in without the turbo is a popular engine upgrade.

Another thought to put to people,

Would an old range rover be a better job for what i want, As i said i am not particularily into vintage land rovers and dont care too much what they look like.

If i got an old range rover and added some defender parts would i have a machine more suitable for what i want???

Problem with older Range Rovers (pre 94 are now referred to as Classics) is the body frame, rear floor and inner wings can rot badly but you won't find a more comfortable ride. The majority will have started life as V8 petrols (a diesel version didn't appear until 84) so there's a lot of poor diesel conversions around (no better than noisy high speed tractors :rolleyes:) as well as a few good ones.

There are also a few classics on ZV plates that shouldn't be, nothing wrong with a properly done re-body on an early chassis but there's some that aren't what they appear.

Classic Range Rover suspension and chassis is not a lot different to Defender. Spares support is also very good.

Sorry to keep asking questions but with your experience or advise for what i am looking for would you go for a Series Landrover or a Old RangeRover????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

For mucking about on a farm, the series would be better - dings and stratches are no problem, and wings and the like are cheap, indicator lenses for 3 euro each etc.

If you are doing lots of long haul the RRC with a diesel is the better option. Though the series is better on long runs than many believe - so long as you get the mindset of being in the slow lane, and you'll be there when you are there. A diesel series really tops out at about 45 mph.

My petrol 109 can do 70 with overdrive.

Don't get hung up on the differences between the series, I look after a 1956 series 1 LWB, and there is very little difference between that and my 1981 series 3, even the non syncromesh gearbox is something you get used to very quickly.

They are all very basic machines -even the wiring is a 1 page wiring diagram. The most complicated part would be the differential, and most people just swap a new one in if there is trouble.

I suggest you get your 2a, and if you don't like it you can move it on.

Sounds Good,

Is there many options to swap out the diesel engine on the IIA for something with a little more power,

Or even swap the gearbox and engine???

You'll get a bit more than 45 out of a 2.25 diesel unless it's shagged, 50 -55 before it gets way too noisy! Fitting an overdrive will help on long runs.

The best engine conversion for easy fitting is a 200tdi out of a disco but with the turbo removed, you end up with a more modern version of the original engine, will be just as noisy though! How to -
    http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/200di.htm

A popular UK conversion is a Perkins Prima from a Montego but that would be hard to find here. Fitting kits for other enginbes - http://engine-conversion.com/content/view/14/28/

Changing the gearbox as well is a lot of work, I'd leave it alone.

Try and get a drive of a series Land Rover before you buy, it may be a bit of a culture shock. There are plenty though who use IIAs everyday in the UK and who think coil springs and plastic is strange voodoo magic to be avoided!

Thanks again,

Yes i will try get to drive a few before i buy, I want it as a second car so im not to concerned. I have driven the more modern defender a bit and think its grand so i reckon i wont mind too much,

I was looking at sound proofing kits etc so may fit one of those, a lightbar and a few bits,

Do you know of any cheap winches that i could get on to a series. I have searched around and cant seem to find any winches anywhere for series vehicles??

Any winch will do, they are all the same. A generic Chinese made 9000lb winch like Tmax, Champion etc can be had for not a lot. You do need a winch bumper for it though and there's not much choice for Series. If you are a very good welder you could get a winch tray and make your own.

Some good stuff here - http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/
    http://www.firstfour.co.uk/
    http://www.winchsolutions.co.uk/home.asp

Advertisement