Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RF cable for snes

• 21-04-2011 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know where the best place would be to pick one on these? I dont think a universal one will do

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You don't want an RF cable, trust me. Your games are going to look like absolute piss. Get an RGB scart cable and thank me later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

In a pinch the same RF cable that the c64,mastersystem,NES, atari,and atari st use will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You don't want an RF cable, trust me. Your games are going to look like absolute piss. Get an RGB scart cable and thank me later.

Does the snes take a scart cable? If so will a generic one do

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nuxxx wrote: »
    Does the snes take a scart cable? If so will a generic one do

You've got to use a SNES scart cable. You can use a Gamecube one but you have to modify it otherwise you'll get a black screen. It's a very easy mod but you are better off getting the SNES RGB scart cable if you want to avoid the hassle. Plenty of them on ebay I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

You've got to use a SNES scart cable. You can use a Gamecube one but you have to modify it otherwise you'll get a black screen. It's a very easy mod but you are better off getting the SNES RGB scart cable if you want to avoid the hassle. Plenty of them on ebay I'd imagine.
    I use a Gamecube scart cable for both the SNES and N64, and no modification was needed. The picture comes out perfect on a CRT television.

• Advertisement

Redlion wrote: »
    I use a Gamecube scart cable for both the SNES and N64, and no modification was needed. The picture comes out perfect on a CRT television.

You're probably getting a composite signal then. Firstly the N64 doesn't support scart so you are definitely getting composite from it. If you are using the an RGB scart cable and not the yellow red and white composite cables then you probably aren't using the primary scart socket on your TV, some TVs only have 1 scart socket wired for RGB the rest will give you a composite signal. On a snes an unmodified gamecube scart cable will give you a scart signal for about 5 seconds before fading to black.

Hey again, got my snes. It came with a green white red connection cable. I got a scart plug and plugged them into it. Would an actual snes scart connection look alot better? Im using a pretty big tv.

Just looking for some clarification as the picture is not great and I havent had a snes in over 14 years or so

RGB scart will look astonishingly better than your current set up. No hyperbole.

RGB scart will look astonishingly better than your current set up. No hyperbole.

Thanks, Would you mind linking me to a suitable one on ebay or somewhere? Im guessing alot of them online arent of the best quality

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

Got my saturn stuff from this guy. He has snes RGB cables.

• Advertisement

Just been in touch with him, thanks for the tip.:)

Just a small update, I have to say the picture quality with this cable is incredible, the colours are amazing.

Composite really is shocking quality compared to this.

Thanks again retrogamer

Yeah RGB really is a massive leap over composite. Most people don't believe me until they try it, sure I didn't believe it until I tried! I refuse to use composite now and everything has to be at least RGB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im not up on my cables, but when you say RGB is this a scart connection type??

Also which one should i buy there are 4 on there..

PAL SNES (Super Nintendo) RGB and AV Scart cable with AV block

PAL SNES (Super Nintendo) RGB and AV Scart cable

SNES/SFC/GC RGB and AV Scart cable with AV block

SNES/SFC/GC RGB and AV Scart cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Also the cables only make a difference on a modern HD TV? No difference on CRT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Also the cables only make a difference on a modern HD TV? No difference on CRT?

They make a massive difference on both.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Im not up on my cables, but when you say RGB is this a scart connection type??

I bought "PAL SNES (Super Nintendo) RGB and AV Scart cable with AV block"

Solid guy to deal with aswell. He charged me 11.22 overall including shipping which is very reasonable, and it arrived quickly.

Yes its scart, on my two small crt tvs, when I switch between AV channels, it usually goes AV1,AV2,RGB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

nuxxx wrote: »
    Yes its scart, on my two small crt tvs, when I switch between AV channels, it usually goes AV1,AV2,RGB

The tv my sister has does the same thing, two scart sockets but an extra station called 'RGB'. I've never seen that before. Any TV I've had, RGB has just come through scart socket 1 as standard.

Advertisement