Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for gifts for New Parents.

Options
  • 21-04-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Guys ,

I was wondering if people particularly Parents could remember back to when they had their first child and the gifts from friends and family they received .

Perhaps you received loads of Flowers , Vouchers for Dinner etc etc....

I was wondering if you could mention the gift that you have liked to have received or indeed did have received?

The people im getting the gift for have just had their first child, 2 days ago , they seem to have alll the gizmos and clothes but im betting there is something they will have forgotten.

So any Ideas would be very much welcomed.

thank you!!

Buck

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Ok. Let me tell you what I would have LOVED to receive.

TIME OFF, even to get a haircut or have a meal in peace for an hour. Or even a nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Basket of Baby goods.

Babybath
    Baby soap
    cotton buds
    vaseline
    baby wipes
    etc etc etc etc , the list is endless

All nicely done up in a basket.
    My 2 cents worth anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheBuck

Time off? Hmmmmm Im not a time lord but maybe a voucher to somewhere nice ?

Regarding baby stuf sounds good to me , im sure i can pull together a load of stuff.

Chreers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

TheBuck wrote: »
    Time off? Hmmmmm Im not a time lord but maybe a voucher to somewhere nice ?

Regarding baby stuf sounds good to me , im sure i can pull together a load of stuff.

Chreers guys

Vouchers are nice. I have one from 2010 Christmas I still havent been able to avail of. Have to wait till pre school.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd agree with metrovelvet: Babysitting vouchers.

Nothing cheaper to give and nothing more appreciated by parents who don't have the family support some lucky people have. Just today, my o/h decided she better give one of my friends' weddings a miss because we don't want to seem like we're taking advantage of the only family we have who can help out at times by asking them to babysit two months in a row.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd agree with metrovelvet: Babysitting vouchers.

Nothing cheaper to give and nothing more appreciated by parents who don't have the family support some lucky people have. Just today, my o/h decided she better give one of my friends' weddings a miss because we don't want to seem like we're taking advantage of the only family we have who can help out at times by asking them to babysit two months in a row.

There are such things as Babysitting Vouchers? You can tell I have no kids , or least none that I am aware of anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

TheBuck wrote: »
    There are such things as Babysitting Vouchers? You can tell I have no kids , or least none that I am aware of anyway.

She means make them yourself and offer to babysit for them!!!

January wrote: »
    She means make them yourself and offer to babysit for them!!!

Ahhhhh What a great idea!! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Each & every gift we received was very much appreciated & the generosity of people is overwhelming. butb y far the most welcomed gift in our house was a whole load of home made meals in individual portions all tupperwared up ready for the freezer - a gift indeed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I would imagine they are getting tonnes of baby stuff. I know I did, and I had a wee bit too much newborn stuff... so clothing for an older baby or an 18month old would go down a treat, or even a winter jacket for winter 2011 wouldn't go amiss either...

Or babysitting (as already suggested) would be superb, you've not idea how much they would love you for it. Offer to babysit and get them a voucher for a meal so they can have a break. You won't be able to wipe the smile of their faces!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

while i do agree that offering to babysit would be a lovely gift to have, it all depends on how close you are to the couple and what kind of people they are.

some poeple are very picky about who they allow to babysit (especially if its their first child) some parents can find it very hard to trust anyone other than very close family, which is understandable.
    but you dont want to make them feel like they're obliged to avail of the offer (by making a big deal of it being a gift). because there is nothing worse than going out and worrying about your baby all night. just something to consider. maybe even if you just put one in a card or something as a kind of side note. then again, it all depends on your relationship with them.

but i do think its a great idea to get something for the couple as opposed to the baby. or as well as if possible.

as difficult as it can be to find time to use vouchers, it may be a safer bet, depending on the couple and stuff.
    perhaps a general voucher- for a shopping centre or something- which they can choose how to spend (even if it does go on groceries/baby stuff).
    or a nice hamper with foods, dips, sauces, etc.

i remember getting a card filled with money from my uncle and the card just read 'a little something for you, just you.' which was very nice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A just-eat voucher or similar.
    Take aways are your best friend with a new baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Basket of baby-good for me too! Collected in bits and pieces during my pregnancy apparently - packet of newborn nappies, scissors, cotton wool, sudocream etc etc. Oh, and one of those Braun Thermometres!!!!

Actually, they are about 60euro in a chemist so even one of those on their own - I honestly used it once a week for the first year, and thanked god that my friend had bought it for me, many, many times.

He's 9next week, and I used it only last month when he got a high temp...so get one of those;)

Thanks Guys , this has really helpded me alot , this weekend ill do my shopping and i belive ill see them this weekend to give it to them so with all this info im sorted. Again Many thanks to you all.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

a river island voucher was what I got off my best friend. It was great as I was able to go buy skinny clothes again lol.

Maybe get her something nice, like beauty products or voucher for her fav shop. Baby gets loads I had to bring back half the clothes as so many 0-3 months even if i changed her twice a day there still would of been to much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

My mum bought me a voucher to get my hair & nails done!! A voucher cos she knew if she gave me cash I would get distracted in Mothercare (Well, It was 1987!) and come home with 3 outfits for the infant who had enough clothes to warrant her own walk-in wardrobe, still sporting the birds nest that marked me out as a new Mum!!

Then she shipped me and OH off out for the nite safe in the knowledge the Mum was on duty. Dad was chuffed too, he got his present later if you know what I mean!!

My first born will be 24 on Monday next, wow that went fast!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Pandora2 wrote: »
    My mum bought me a voucher to get my hair done!! A voucher cos she knew if she gave me cash I would get distracted in Mothercare (It was 1987!) and come home with 3 outfits for the two week old!! My first born will be 24 on Monday next, wow that went fast!!:p

That's what my mum done too, picked me up one morning, brought me to the hair dressers and took baby off while I got pampered :) Was delighted, baby was about 4 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

January wrote: »
    That's what my mum done too, picked me up one morning, brought me to the hair dressers and took baby off while I got pampered :) Was delighted, baby was about 4 weeks

You gotta love those Mum's they knew their stuff!! Did my apprenticeship with the best in the business!:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

Massage voucher for just or mum or dinner voucher for both.

well Firstly let me say thank you to everyone who replied , great answers and indeed I'm sure someone else will be in the same position and look over this them selves for ref.

In the end i got them something that I think was very useful.
    A Baby Monitor , that works with Infa-red, Sound and tempeture . I figured that they would be want to get time away from the Baby while She is sleeping up stairs so this would allow them some freedom of movement while still being able to watch over her.
    they love it and it kind reflects me too since I like my gadgets as well.

So thanks guys!!

Buck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

wow great idea actually! :D
    i never got one myself and the amount of times i said 'i wish i bought a monitor!', never got round to buying one though! thats a really thoughtful gift!

Advertisement