Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan or rent/buy a car in NZ?

Options
  • 21-04-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Im going to be arriving in NZ next March and im trying to figure out which way would be best to see the country. Im planning on being there for about 5 weeks and doing both islands.

Some people on here seem to swear by the campervan but it seems to be fairly expensive to rent one for any amount of time. Then you have to factor in petrol/diesel prices and the odd night in a campsite.

Renting a car is obviously much cheaper and probably easier on petrol but then you would need somewhere to stay most nights too which would add extra costs on that end.

Then there is buying a car, probably the cheapest option but then you could get a lemon and then your screwed too.

What are peoples views? What way would you recommend and what kind of budget should I be looking at?

The campervan seems like it would be the most hassle free, im just not sure its worth the cost.

Also I was reading up on freedom camping and apparently theyre getting fairly strict on that now. Whats the deal there? If I got a van id want to be able to find a place to park up most nights.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Before doing my trip a couple of years ago I figured out that the price would actually be virtually the same between renting a car or renting a campervan. The extra price you pay in terms of renting the camper you then make back in it being cheaper to park it for the night than it is to get a B&B/ hotel room.

Of course there is also how much you like the slightly more civilised staying in a proper bed, or if not having to re-pack your bags every time you move location is preferable to you.

Also I had skis to transport around with me so a car would have been far less practical or that and I went for a campervan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kiwishocker

Having travelled myself round New Zealand and being from there I would have to agree at the Campervan idea, you will always have a place to sleep as some places can be very expensive accommodation wise eg: Mount Cook or Franz Josef glacier, you can see the country at your own pace if money gets tight you can always boil up a snack of 2 minute noodles whilst admiring the view out your door! Many cafes or restaurants can charge the earth for the simplest of things, where as if you have a few supplies they can get you through the remote locations where people charge the earth just because they are the only chipper in coo-ee of anything civilized! Many places you can just park up (remote places), as you say you run the risk of a "lemon" car breaking down, Capervans that you hire would be very fuel efficient as they would probably be newer than anything you could buy. You can also choose petrol or diesel. We hired from HERTZ and found them to be most friendly helpful and very obliging when we wanted to extend our rental. It does depend on whether you want a traditional bed to lay your head or the flexibility of moving on whenever you want to... I hope you have a great holiday! Its a fantastic country!

Advertisement