Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking in Alps

Options
  • 21-04-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have been thinking of hiking Mount Blanc this summer with a guide.
    However, I am not sure how technical/demmanding this is.

I have hiked in Ireland and Scotland and did Kilimanjaro a few yrs ago.

Should I build up my experience and skills before tackling Mt Blanc? Any recommendations on where to begin?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have been thinking of hiking Mount Blanc this summer with a guide.
    However, I am not sure how technical/demmanding this is.

I have hiked in Ireland and Scotland and did Kilimanjaro a few yrs ago.

Should I build up my experience and skills before tackling Mt Blanc? Any recommendations on where to begin?

Thanks!!

Very doable really, condider doing one of the many 'alpine week' courses which usually finish with summiting Mt Blanc. Have a search here as I'm sure this came up last year too. Well worth it, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The MCI alpine meet is in Argentiere this year (i.e., one of the towns under Mt Blanc). You could go out and do a course with them, get acclimatised and then they're leaving a few days at the end of the meet to climb Mt Blanc at the end. Should be plenty of gringos there nad you'd prob do it a lot cheaper than if you hired a local guide on your own.

Check out mountaineering.ie and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Esel

K09 wrote: »
    . . I have been thinking of hiking Mount Blanc this summer with a guide. . .
    You don't hike Mont Blanc, you climb it.

Even with a guide, who could supply you with a harness, ice axe and crampons, you would still need all the appropriate personal gear, as well as a very good level of fitness. It is a long, continuous climb, and the guide will set a fast pace.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement