Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip off internet cafe on grafton st.

• 21-04-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

i have a good one for you. there is an internet cafe there on grafton street beside mcdonalds. the centralinternetcafe.

how much do you think they charge to print 1 A4 page of black and white text?

1.70euro! i asked was it a joke. they said no.

i walked out wondering if i had suddenly enetered a parallel universe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I think ya might have to cut the name out to avoid Problems for boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

If it's a fact, then there can't be any problems for Boards at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

i have a good one for you. there is an internet cafe there on grafton street beside mcdonalds. the centralinternetcafe.

how much do you think they charge to print 1 A4 page of black and white text?

1.70euro! i asked was it a joke. they said no.

i walked out wondering if i had suddenly enetered a parallel universe.

For that price it must be special paper from trees high up in the mountains where there is a 3 day trek to get to it. I know replacement toners and ink is expensive these days but 1.70 is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Thats nuts! Rip off Ireland at its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Miaireland wrote: »
    Thats nuts! Rip off Ireland at its best.

How is it rip off Ireland at work here? One shop doesn't reflect the whole country or whole industry. In fact I could name at least 10 other internet cafes that charge a lot less than what the OP was charged. That phrase is used far too often these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Well I guess it's a rip-off, and it happened in Ireland.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Rent on Grafton st is high.
    Price was advertised. You didn't want pay it so you didn't.
    What's the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

You should have gone upstairs - could have saved yourself 50 cents.
    Internet
    20min Internet Time on 1st floor - €1.50
    20min Internet Time on 2nd floor - €1
    Printing
    A4 Black&White – 20c
    A4 Full Colour – 60c
    A3 Black&White – 40c
    A3 Full Colour – 80c

http://www.centralinternetcafe.com/pricelist.htm

It's pricey enough, but Grafton Street rents are not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

GRAFTON STREET? INTERNET CAFE? EXPENSIVE?

who'd of thunk it?

I reckon an internet cafe on Champs Elysees, Oxford Street, or Fifth Avenue wouldn't come cheap either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Maybe the op needs to read the signs better or ask the question differently. The print charge is 20c not 1.70

The nods should amend or delete this wa its yet another false and malicious post about a good business. It's only s matter of time before boards gets into legal problems with such lies allowed to be published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Maybe the price for 1 page is made up of

1.50 for an hours internet time to find the page.
    20c to print it.

After all, you hardly expect them to allow you to use one of their PCs to print the page without paying for the PC use itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

maxer68 wrote: »
    Maybe the op needs to read the signs better or ask the question differently. The print charge is 20c not 1.70

The nods should amend or delete this wa its yet another false and malicious post about a good business. It's only s matter of time before boards gets into legal problems with such lies allowed to be published

you better watch it there sunshine. i dont take kindly to being called a liar in public. its fact, not false or malicious. i post the truth as it happened. i could not pay less than 1.70 for 1 a4 page black and white whatever way you cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Last year a friend of mine visiting from the States was so taken with the high prices of coffee in Dublin that he took pictures of all the signs/prices he saw - he was going to post them up on the web but didnt get round to it - he couldn't believe the prices - all he kept saying is jeez thats ? dollars - how does anybody live here. He thought it was hilarious and that people were actually paying 3 euros for a coffee in a paper cup :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

you better watch it there sunshine. i dont take kindly to being called a liar in public. its fact, not false or malicious. i post the truth as it happened. i could not pay less than 1.70 for 1 a4 page black and white whatever way you cut it.

Op could you clarify something for all the readers of your thread, was the €1.70 just for the physical action of printing the page, or was it broken down as €1.50 for computer use and 20c for printing?. Or was your bill €1.50 (internet) + €1.70 (printing)? which would give validity to your post

If the €1.70 included the use of their computer for up to an hour and the document was downloaded/typed prior to printing then your honesty is questionable, at the very least you are trying to mislead/hoodwink the readers. If the charge included computer use even for a couple of seconds then the actual print charge is 20c and no more.

Why did you go to an internet cafe in the first place?, a printers would have printed one A4 page for about 5c.

OP clarify this and stop badmouthing a business needlessly, and be brave enough to acknowledge that you were economical with the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

i could not pay less than 1.70 for 1 a4 page black and white whatever way you cut it.

because you used the internet for 20minutes (or part of) + the 20c for printing? which imo is completely justifiable for an internet cafe on grafton street?? or did they charge you 1.70 for the printing alone and no internet time, which would be completely contrary to the pricing structure they offer on their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 RoboSpud

I believe the last time I was in there, printing was 20c, but in order to print, you needed to pay the €1.50 for the 20 minutes computer/internet time as well. Which admittedly if you just want to print a document off an external USB drive is a bit steep.

RoboSpud wrote: »
    I believe the last time I was in there, printing was 20c, but in order to print, you needed to pay the €1.50 for the 20 minutes computer/internet time as well. Which admittedly if you just want to print a document off an external USB drive is a bit steep.

This is an Internet Cafe - not a print shop. The printing is an ancillary service to the main business.

€1.50 for 20min is excellent value considering is location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mayordenis wrote: »
    GRAFTON STREET? INTERNET CAFE? EXPENSIVE?

who'd of thunk it?

I reckon an internet cafe on Champs Elysees, Oxford Street, or Fifth Avenue wouldn't come cheap either.

There was one I use to frequent at the Tottinhamcourt Rd end of Oxford St which was £1 an hour, other ones around the corner were half that. Ypu would be lucky to last the hour with the heat of the place and the state of some of the computers. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Jeez mate, boards isn't a publication, its a public forum. What the users say doesn't mean its boards.ie's official standing on the matter. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

This is an Internet Cafe - not a print shop. The printing is an ancillary service to the main business.

€1.50 for 20min is excellent value considering is location.
    Do you work in this shop or something?
    150 for 20 mins is awful value.
    4.50 per hour for internet? Its not 1991 and grafton street is not fifth avenue.

Do you work in this shop or something?
    150 for 20 mins is awful value.
    4.50 per hour for internet? Its not 1991 and grafton street is not fifth avenue.

yeah of course I do. In fact anyone who defends any business on any forum works for that business. :rolleyes:

If you feel a business is making too much money, open up in competition to it. There are THOUSANDS of empty units around the country and there are no barriers to enter the retail / service market.

Go on, I dare you, please do it and see your money disapear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think it's reasonable.

You pay for the use of the computer, €1.50 for up to 20 mins, then 20c to print. I don't think I've ever used one cheaper than that..

Advertisement