Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€250,000 make over for english market

Options
  • 21-04-2011 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Just saw on the EE that we are about to launch 250k at the english market for the queens visit.:eek:
    Just wondering who is footing this bill ?

Its ludricious in the extreme this in my humble opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

thehunter wrote: »
    Just saw on the EE that we are about to launch 250k at the english market for the queens visit.:eek:
    Just wondering who is footing this bill ?

Its ludricious in the extreme this in my humble opinion.

Who's footing the bill? You are ultimately but, as it's the City Council putting money into the city, it's a good investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thehunter

Though the whole thing about the market is how quaint it is , what will take 250k? paint? bunting? floor mats? just dont get it.

As a rate payer in this city i kinda object to this 'waste' of money.

No objection to the queens visit by the way but how long will she spend in there? 20- 30 mins perhaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

thehunter wrote: »
    Though the whole thing about the market is how quaint it is , what will take 250k? paint? bunting? floor mats? just dont get it.

As a rate payer in this city i kinda object to this 'waste' of money.

No objection to the queens visit by the way but how long will she spend in there? 20- 30 mins perhaps..

The only thing is I suppose whatever improvements they make will be there long after the visit and, as there will be a large press corps with the royal party, it would be nice to show the place looking it's best especially when it'll be going out live.

I wonder what stalls she will visit? I'd love to see her and Phillip buying tripe and drisheen or bodice rather than buying poncy olives or sun dried tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

It is a good investment i think. Sots of the queen in there will be beamed to prob millions on the bbc and such, which will in turn generate tourism. I love the market anyway, nothing like it anywhere else on this island (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I hope the investment doesnt change the 'feel' of the place. I love the English Markets character. I would hate for it to change.

Nothing beats the smell of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

long as the feel of the place stays the same, then it's just an investment in the English Market. regardless of why, that's good for the city, and good for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Hogzy wrote: »
    I hope the investment doesnt change the 'feel' of the place. I love the English Markets character. I would hate for it to change.

Nothing beats the smell of the place.

+1. 250K is madness. There is a lot more important things that need money that the queens visit..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Hear the market will be closed for the day to us ejjits... also the airport for the day ??

Hear the market will be closed for the day to us ejjits... also the airport for the day ??

Not surprising really, don't know about the entire day but no way will folks have free movement until she is gone. They have to presume there is someone trying to get to her and the easiest way to minimise the risk is to minimise the amount of folk close to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

true.. ,lunatics out there, but the airport ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

As long as they don't get rid of the mascot outside the side entrance by the Brogue:

true.. ,lunatics out there, but the airport ?

Only a few ways out of the airport, if they don't control who's in there it would make it all too easy for the looneys to try something. Lots of elevated areas too and a huge carpark. Disaster to have control over all that unless access is severely limited to screened folk who need to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

250k really isn't that much, and please don't complain about it when they haven't actually announced what exactly they will be doing.

The Market is still very large, and is in desperate need of being fixed up anyway, parts of the place is falling apart, and they have been looking for money to get it fixed up for quite a long time.

If they are using the Queens visit as a reason to invest and fix up one of the most notable parts of the city, then let them do it, it's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

evilivor wrote: »
    The only thing is I suppose whatever improvements they make will be there long after the visit a

You would think. Well I saw a tarmaced road way being dug up and taken away again after the President's visit to the Northside.

Locals were delighted with the road and were saying that, the following week I was up there to report on the missing road.

It's a waste of money, just take the older fish out for the hour, that's all that's needed.

gbee wrote: »
    You would think. Well I saw a tarmaced road way being dug up and taken away again after the President's visit to the Northside.

Locals were delighted with the road and were saying that, the following week I was up there to report on the missing road.

You make that sound like Harbour View road or Cathedral Road was resurfaced and then dug up :pac: Which wasn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

evilivor wrote: »
    I'd love to see her and Phillip buying tripe and drisheen

Are you for the pigbull tripetreshen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wonder if there will be snipers on rooftops, SAS troops hidden down back-alleys and the whole rig-ma-roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

English Market to get 250K but closed for the day of the Queens visit....I presume the market shops/stalls are getting compensated for the loss of trade? ;)

Advertisement