Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Syrian Hamster and cage.

• 21-04-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Today I went to The Pet Supermarket by the Tipperary Roundabout and there was no hamsters for sale. Then I went to Petmania but they were a rob.. 15 Euro for a syrian and with only two available for selection. **** cages were available for 50 euro plus. :mad: Pa's Pet and Grooming had Roborovski Hamsters for 12 Euro but I'm looking for a Syrian Hamster.. Do you know any breeders or suitable pet stores? Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

foxes bow in city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chea

What's the best shop for a Syrian hamster? I need a cage the hamster and everything else such as food. I have a budget of 85 euro but the cheaper the better. I've tried the Pet Supermarket by the Tipperary roundabout, Petmania by the Ballysimon Road and Pa's Pet and Grooming but none of them were great. The Pet Supermarket had fish and other aquatic creatures but nothing else other then supplies. Petmania was okay,but the cages were average and completely overpriced.. There were two Syrian hamsters available but I want a bigger selection :( Pa's Pet and Grooming had Roboroskii's available for 12 Euro but I'd definitely prefer a Syrian hamster. I'm willing to go to breeders and thanks in advance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Chea wrote: »
    What's the best shop for a Syrian hamster? I need a cage the hamster and everything else such as food. I have a budget of 85 euro but the cheaper the better. I've tried the Pet Supermarket by the Tipperary roundabout, Petmania by the Ballysimon Road and Pa's Pet and Grooming but none of them were great. The Pet Supermarket had fish and other aquatic creatures but nothing else other then supplies. Petmania was okay,but the cages were average and completely overpriced.. There were two Syrian hamsters available but I want a bigger selection :( Pa's Pet and Grooming had Roboroskii's available for 12 Euro but I'd definitely prefer a Syrian hamster. I'm willing to go to breeders and thanks in advance :D

How many times have you posted this? Who are you - Richard Gere? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ask Dave in Paws N Claws or if you can go further try the Garden centre/petshop in Croagh.

Or try Kevin in Petcrafts and Aquatics which is in the Castletroy Shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublingal20

Definitely definitely get a syrian Hamster... I got one a few months ago her name is Sabrina and she is class, the dwarf ones make 2nd rate pets in my opinion. plus she's never bitten once, the little ones are nippy feckers...

With regard the cage you should get the biggest one you can afford, consider things like depth and height over surface area as they love to climb the bars and burrow loads! Also a few little things for them to hide in (like toilet paper holders etc.) I got my two story cage with tubes, wheel, bowl and water bottle for about forty euro in petworld in Galway (you'll probably need to buy him a new wheel when he's fully grown!) and I got Sabrina for 10 euro in Tuam... About fifteen euro is probably what you're going to end up paying... there was actually a shortage of syrians there recently and prices jumped a little :( Have you tried ebay for cages? Start up can be dear but feeding, bedding and treats are relatively low cost! :) Breeder is best in my opinion if you can find one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your replies :) I joined Boards.ie yesterday so I didn't know I'd be opening a new thread when I replied to a thread :D And no I'm not Richard Gere (whatever you meant by that :rolleyes:) I've been reading through other forums and a lot of people seem to be recommending the pet stores that you recommended :) Hehe I knew Syrian hamsters would be the best option so thanks for clarifying that :) I'm willing to pay 15 for the hamster but 70 for an average cage is madness :pac: I'm looking at the cages in Argos tomorrow so i'll see how that goes :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

would u prefer a chinchilla they are much cooler and I know someone selling one with cage cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I got mine in petmania (well someone bought it for me) and he's cool, my sister has a dwarf hamster and they're much more skittish, its a little ball of fuzzy hyperactivity. def try foxes bow the petshop there usually has a few of them. just make sure you only get one, syrians fight when paired in the same cage.

I've nothing against Chinchillas but I'd much rather a hamster.. Thanks though :)
    I don't actually mind getting my Syrian at Petmania it's just that there was only one out of the two Syrians there that I liked.. I'll try foxes bow for sure since everyone is recommending it :D Would you advise me to check out the Petmania out by Jetland? I'd say it's the same price-wise for cages but if there is other hamsters there it may be worth checking out.. :cool:

I found this cage on eBay but I'm not sure if it is big enough and the seller didn't give specifics with regards to W x H x L so I don't know if it's suitable.. What do you think? : http://cgi.ebay.ie/Syrian-Hamster-Cage-and-Accesseries-NEW-/270737026652?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3f092f2e5c#ht_500wt_1156

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Chea wrote: »
    I've nothing against Chinchillas but I'd much rather a hamster.. Thanks though :)
    I don't actually mind getting my Syrian at Petmania it's just that there was only one out of the two Syrians there that I liked.. I'll try foxes bow for sure since everyone is recommending it :D Would you advise me to check out the Petmania out by Jetland? I'd say it's the same price-wise for cages but if there is other hamsters there it may be worth checking out.. :cool:

I find the jetland one has way more choice than the ballysimon road one. they've got some cool snakes out there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

RonMexico wrote: »
    How many times have you posted this? Who are you - Richard Gere? :D
    LOL, or Abraham Lincoln in the Electric Six video...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

langdang wrote: »
    LOL, or Abraham Lincoln in the Electric Six video...

LMFAO.. I'm not like that at all X) Trust me, if I could get a dog I would. If I could get a fish I would. I hate cats. The pet has to stay in my room because my mother hates animals. And as I said, I have a budget of 85 Euro which has since gone down to 75 Euro..A Hamster is better than nothing rofl.. :cool:

Well I decided to get this cage unless anyone has any objections : http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8707116/Trail/searchtext%3EHAMSTER.htm Now I have to clear 12 Trojans off my computer before my father gets home so wish me luck :D

Actually that cage is a very good deal for a dwarf hamster :) It's too small for a Syrian though.. This cage looks a good deal but I'm not sure if the size is right and I'm waiting for dimensions from the owner :rolleyes: What do you all think? Remember the cage has to be big enough for a Syrian hamster http://www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/hamster-cage-and-hamster-food/532577

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

campo wrote: »
    would u prefer a chinchilla they are much cooler and I know someone selling one with cage cheap

And they make great coats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hi OP,

That cage on ebay is way, way, too small for even a dwarf hamster to live comfortably with sufficient exercise and things to explore. I only use those cages to house my guys while I'm cleaning out their cage.

Any of the cages on sale in Petmania or Foxes Bow are also too small. Personally the only cage I would consider for a Syrian is the Savic Hamster Heaven. You can only get them in Maxi Zoo in Limerick. They are thirty euro cheaper on Zooplus at the moment and you'll get free shipping.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/cages/hamster_mouse_cages/197363

The wheel in the picture is also much too small and will strain your hamster's back - look for a big silent spinner, or better still, a Wodent Wheel.

Also be very careful about the hamster you choose. In the petshops you have no clue in what conditions they've been bred. (I have, as I work in rescue, and it's horrifying.) The only thing you can do if make sure to pick a hamster that looks bright eyed, plump, no bare patches in the coat, no diarrhoea around the tail, no obvious injuries.

You seem to know what you're talking about boomerang :cool: I've agreed to get this cage http://www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/hamster-cage-and-hamster-food/532577 .. It seems to be okay. I mean it fits in with my budget range and its dimensions are 49.5L x 28W x 31H which is just about big enough according to my book and other online guides.. I can easily move the ladders and platforms and ladder up higher to allow for more ground space if you look carefully and according to the owner, she had a Russian White dwarf which is 1 or 2 inches smaller than a Syrian and it had plenty of room. Do you know any breeders that I can get a Syrian from? As I said earlier there's only been one Syrian out of two that I actually liked in Petmania by the Ballysimon Road.. Where would be the best place to obtain a Syrian? Thanks in advance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

so any luck with the syrian hunt? im after one myself now

Just checked pet mania in Tralee... no syrians, just dwarf. When i asked the guy he said the last batch of syrians were diseased and that they were changing supplier and couldn't say when they'd have them again.

Banking on foxes bow on saturday now.... ps whats the cage selection like in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement