Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage Roller Shutter Installation

• 21-04-2011 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience of installing electric roller shutters, of the type for a domestic garage.

I've picked up a second hand one for the garage and am going to install it tomorrow. The only bit i'm not 100% sure on is how to tension the spring units on the axle. I assume the spring units are supposed to be under tension when the shutter is down and hence they assist in the lifting process. Do I use the motor to pre-tension these? Or just wind each spring a few turns at a time and lock in place....

What's the correct sequence for installation
    1) Install guide rails (not too bad)
    2) Drop curtain into guide rails (should be fun ;-) )
    3) Install Axel / motor
    4) Pre tension springs (wind each spring manually? or is it possible to do using motor??)
    5) Connect curtain to Axel
    6) Set end stops etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I don't think there are any springs in the electric version ?
    Make sure you use momentary action switches, when testing limits be careful avoid overruns in case the original drop was different.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If it was a manual door, install the axle and clamp it down. Roll the door around a few times and this will tension the spring.

Motorized domestic roller doors should also have a spring in them, as they can be disconnected from the motor and used manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi guys,

Have side rails in and axel up, looks pretty good.

It is an electrical one. There's 4 helical springs in it to assist with the lift. I wrapped a rope around each 5 times and used a weight to tension them, then fitted locking pins. Hope 5 turns is enough.

5 turns was my guestimate for pre-tensioning the spring as 3 rotations is enough to lift the door fully.

The reason I wanted to pretension them as I want to install the curtain fully then attach it to the axel/roller.

Ok just had an idea there, if I measure the motor current I can see how much it takes going up and down.

If the springs are in the right ball park the raise and lowering currents should be roughly equal (or close to)....

• Advertisement

just to wrap this up incase anyone else is doing the same.

Five turns of pre-tensioning the springs was too many, 3 would of done, which is about the number of rotations of the door to lower it. Anyway, its in now and working great.

Advertisement