Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep and Salt water?

• 21-04-2011 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Just heard a story of a neighbours friend who put ewes out on a island in summer, it didn't rain much for the couple of months they were out on the island, he reckoned sheep "thrive" on salt water, would this be the case?

Theres no well/springs whatsoever on the small 6 acre island....

Would be great if you could guide me to any info on sheep or cattle living on salt water.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Absolute load of ballcocks IMO.

Only person I know of who put sheep onto an island which ran out of fresh water had an investigation into the number of deaths to contend with afterwards.

We have put sheep onto two different islands and always used to watch the water issue like hawks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Thats what I thought, would the dew on the grass in the morning do them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

We used to rely on pools of water that rain used to fill up on both islands. If there were an extended dry period we'd be off down the bay in the currach checking. Sheep would be taken off if they were dry. Not sure I'd like to rely on dew, may do, may not, I'd not chance it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

rightyabe wrote: »
    Just heard a story of a neighbours friend who put ewes out on a island in summer, it didn't rain much for the couple of months they were out on the island, he reckoned sheep "thrive" on salt water, would this be the case?

Theres no well/springs whatsoever on the small 6 acre island....

Would be great if you could guide me to any info on sheep or cattle living on salt water.

Thanks

Re salt water - I dont think so.

But its amazing how sheep can survive on very little, of any water. I assume they take in water from the dewy grass, and the weather wouldnt want to be extreme. But if was a bad summer, with a bit of rain fairly often, I would say they'd manage away.

This is based on sheep on our place having access to water a bit away from the fields. But they never went near it. Now, this was dry sheep. Sheep with young lambs is a different story altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Horace

Maybe these sheep are similer to the North Ronaldsay sheep their main diet is seaweed and access to fresh water in summer time is also limited when the fresh water ponds can dry up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ronaldsay_(sheep)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Horace wrote: »
    Maybe these sheep are similer to the North Ronaldsay sheep their main diet is seaweed and access to fresh water in summer time is also limited when the fresh water ponds can dry up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ronaldsay_(sheep)

There tough, but not that tough...:)

Advertisement