Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

access control?

Options
  • 21-04-2011 7:15pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me, I've got a ACT5 keypad, exit button, psu and maglock:
    In the install notes it mensiones to place the supplied varistor across the terminals of the door strike coil to protect the relay contacts, I'm not completly sure where exactly I place the varister on the maglock? Looking at the manual, do I put it between the +12V (presume +12V goes to psu) and 0 V.

Sorry if this these are such basdic questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Put it in the maglock across the 12v +-

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me, I've got a ACT5 keypad, exit button, psu and maglock:
    In the install notes it mensiones to place the supplied varistor across the terminals of the door strike coil to protect the relay contacts, I'm not completly sure where exactly I place the varister on the maglock? Looking at the manual, do I put it between the +12V (presume +12V goes to psu) and 0 V.

Sorry if this these are such basdic questions!

How did you get on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Irish Fire wrote: »
    How did you get on?

It should be fine but will leave it until next week. Will let ye know how I got on!:D

Okay, I have the whole thing set up on a table first. According to the instruction manual this should be right, but I thought I might check with the experts- could someone tell me if I have forgotten something (other then exit button) and if I have wired it correctly?
    img0204bg.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img0205im.jpg

img0208zd.jpg

Thanks!

Edit: the powersupply is to the left of the ACT5

<edit>

I have them working on their own, to the power supply and it works. The PSU I have is a 12V 1 amp Power Supply Unit. When I connect the keypad on it's own it works also, but they don't work together. According to the maglock installation sheet, the maximum is 0.5amp. I connect them at the same time, to the same PSU, and the ACT5 lights up and beeps grand, but the maglock doesn't. There is an option on the maglock for 24V and 0.25 but I dont have a 24v psu.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

• Advertisement

<edit>

I have them working on their own, to the power supply and it works. The PSU I have is a 12V 1 amp Power Supply Unit. When I connect the keypad on it's own it works also, but they don't work together. According to the maglock installation sheet, the maximum is 0.5amp. I connect them at the same time, to the same PSU, and the ACT5 lights up and beeps grand, but the maglock doesn't. There is an option on the maglock for 24V and 0.25 but I dont have a 24v psu.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Get the blue wire from the lock and pu it in with the black take a link from the existing red and put it into the "C" of the relay and the + going to the mag lock into "N/C", this will work on the bench for you. Just repeat this on the door........

Thanks Irish Fire, its working fine now.

Thanks Irish Fire, its working fine now.

Forgot to say break the "+" to the mag lock in the green break glass unit. A lot of people break the power from the power supply, not really a good idea......

Irish Fire wrote: »
    Forgot to say break the "+" to the mag lock in the green break glass unit. A lot of people break the power from the power supply, not really a good idea......

I could imagine what would happen! Everything down, the keypad and the whole lot! Nah, what I have done is:
    Wire comes out of act5 and into emergency door release button + and - in and + and - out to maglock. Isn't this what you meant?

Thanks for your help!

I could imagine what would happen! Everything down, the keypad and the whole lot! Nah, what I have done is:
    Wire comes out of act5 and into emergency door release button + and - in and + and - out to maglock. Isn't this what you meant?

Thanks for your help!

Yep

• Advertisement

How did you get on?

It worked fine and everything up and running, not the press to exit button. What does Toggle Relay do?

Thanks for your help again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Using toggle relay a load can be switched on and off through the push button. Using the positive, once pressed the relay switches its state on or off. In your case the relay will be timed to re-lock the door after a set time.

Hi again lads,

I finally got the door exit button. How do I wire this, we normally leave the door open when were in the room and if locked a push to the emergency button releases the foor lock, how do I wire in the exit switch.
    Also, would you recommend the act5 for electric gates?
    Thanks for all yer help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you wire a pair from Push button & negetive to a lock release switch switch when the pair is shorted the lock relay switches for the pre set time.
    Act5-1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Asm

It worked fine and everything up and running, not the press to exit button. What does Toggle Relay do?

Hi,
    Could you please tell me what power supply you used for the act5 and where you bought it?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

12v dc or 24v AC .
    You will get them in any of the suppliers.
    Where are you located?

KoolKid wrote: »
    12v dc or 24v AC .
    You will get them in any of the suppliers.
    Where are you located?
    I'm located in the Coolock area, I'm not looking for a big Psu , is there anything small but cheap enough I could use? Thanks for the help koolkid

Reliable Security would be handy for you . They are in Druncondra. You can get small mains powered only ones.

Reliable Security would be handy for you . They are in Druncondra. You can get small mains powered only ones.
    Thanks very much, do you know how much they are about? Thanks

• Advertisement

Varies a lot . Under €40 for something small.

Varies a lot . Under €40 for something small.
    Ok thanks very much for the help

Let me know how you get on there. They sometimes say trade only. Just go in with the cash..;)

Let me know how you get on there. They sometimes say trade only. Just go in with the cash..;)
    I will thanks

Asm wrote: »

Hi,
    Could you please tell me what power supply you used for the act5 and where you bought it?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

I got everything in REW. Must say they are excellent to deal with.

Glad you got sorted. They are a good bunch alright.

Advertisement