Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Insurance for Europe

• 21-04-2011 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi All,
    Myself and my good lady are thinking of heading around Europe for 12 months in a campervan. Am looking for advice on insurance.
    Most insurance policy's that I've seen only cover campervans for occasional use and normally need proof of another vehicle. We want to sell up and head off, so we will have no other vehicle and be using the van full time.
    Anyone know where I can get insurance for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Have a look HERE for loads of opinion and info.

Be careful about selling up, it is important for loads of reasons that your 'place of residence' remains here, even if you are away on extended travels.

As regards insurance for the MH, the AXA policy which Dolmen offer has no limitation on the length of trip, but in reality you will have to return to 'your place/country of residence' for a period at least once a year for stuff which has to be done locally and to maintain you residency in the R0I.

Example, roadworthiness test (when signed into law) and road tax renewal. Just because you are away in foreign lands you must still be legal under the laws of your 'home' country.

I would recommend a chat with the Dept of Foreign Affairs, the Social Welfare people and the Tax man to get accurate info on how to maintain your status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brooksp

Hi, Thanks for the info.
    My impression was the Dolmen insurance would not be suitable as it states"primarily the camper owner would use the vehicle only occasionally. The vehicle must not be the main form of transport and if used as the main form of transport we must be informed."
    If I was using the camper fulltime would it not be a breach of contract?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

In my opinion FWIW the clause is to stop the MH being the 'main form of transport' in the context of using it in the place of a car for daily 'social, domestic and pleasure' use.
    I wouldn't expect the clause to carryover to its use as it's primarily designed for, touring/holiday accommodation. After all the accident risk is low, who of us would drive our 'accommodation' around with anything less than great care.
    The time on the road / distances traveled would also be less than that of a car in regular use.

But if its use will be significantly 'outside the norm' a call to the insurance for clarification would be a good idea.

Advertisement