Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a dodgy call today. Possibly scam...

Options
  • 21-04-2011 7:43pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a phone call from "ESB" this afternoon, informing me I owed them money on my bill. They told me they could take my credit card details and pay the bill that way. When I told them that I had only paid my bill two weeks ago and was up to date as far as I knew, they said their system was down and they would look more into it and call me back. They didn't call me back.

Thought I'd trow this up to see if anyone has had any similiar phone calls cause I felt it was somewhat suspicious....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Got a phone call from "ESB" this afternoon, informing me I owed them money on my bill. They told me they could take my credit card details and pay the bill that way. When I told them that I had only paid my bill two weeks ago and was up to date as far as I knew, they said their system was down and they would look more into it and call me back. They didn't call me back.

Thought I'd trow this up to see if anyone has had any similiar phone calls cause I felt it was somewhat suspicious....

More than a bit suspicious. To anyone else reading this NEVER give details of bank accounts or cards to someone who calls you. As far as I'm aware companies as a rule don't do this, if any do then they are stupid. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

We're doing some stuff with ESB and they said to us that their system was down last week too. They should at least write to you though I'd have thought?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

They did. Got the bill two weeks ago, as per usual, and I paid it, as per usual. Thats what made me suspicious about the call. That and how quickly they ducked away from the call when I pointed out I paid recently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ESB will only call on overdue (more that 2 months at least). You should call ESB Electric Ireland to confirm with them. It does sound dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Harry Tasker

Just to let you know I got a call from 'Microsoft' from a woman called Jenny who had a distinctly Indian accent.

My wife got one about 6 months ago and was directed through her laptop to correct a problem which didn't exist and was then asked for her credit card details. When my wife refused to give the CC details, the caller got very annoyed.

So when Jenny called I was sort of prepared. I listened to her rattling on for a very short while and when I said I wasn't interested, she got very aggressive - and was suddenly cut off. It was like as if the call was being recorded and whoever else was listening in decided enough was enough.

So be aware of these calls from Microsoft - I believe it to be a scam and all they are looking for is your card details.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just to let you know I got a call from 'Microsoft' from a woman called Jenny who had a distinctly Indian accent.

My wife got one about 6 months ago and was directed through her laptop to correct a problem which didn't exist and was then asked for her credit card details. When my wife refused to give the CC details, the caller got very annoyed.

So when Jenny called I was sort of prepared. I listened to her rattling on for a very short while and when I said I wasn't interested, she got very aggressive - and was suddenly cut off. It was like as if the call was being recorded and whoever else was listening in decided enough was enough.

So be aware of these calls from Microsoft - I believe it to be a scam and all they are looking for is your card details.

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

As regards ESB, I got a call like that once. Wasn't sure about it so I asked the person their first name and said I was looking to look up the official EBS phone number (it was on my last bill) and ask for same person.
    Turned out to be genuine in my case but it pays to be careful.

If in doubt, don't give out info. Look for official number (not one they give you for obvious reason) and call the genuine office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

MBNA rang me recently from a private number,regarding my credit card.
    The lady who rang was very abrupt and insistent.
    She started of with , hello mr. kbell my name is blah blah, im calling from mbna, can you confirm your last 4 digits of your card and your date of birth.
    I replied no, i can not, i'm not giving out personal details over the phone.
    This didn't impress her and she asked several times again, saying..
    "but i need to talk to you and in order to do that i need to confirm your details!"

I point blank refused to play ball, i said to her, would you give out your details to someone over the phone? she replied thats not the issue here...
    I said ok then, you'll have to write to me as i'm not giving out my details over the phone.

Anyway this went on for a while and in the end i had her confirm all my details to me, full name, dob, balance, recent transactions etc.. before i'd talk to her.
    i followed it up with an email to them but never heard anything back.

Terrible practice from a company I'd assumed were a bit more professional in their dealings with customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I had 2 of these last week alone.. they wanted me to open the 'run' box and type in a command..I believe this allows them to hack into all your details like log ins on websites etc...its very funny when you know what they are up to but i wonder how many people have been caught out..:mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

BengaLover wrote: »
    I had 2 of these last week alone.. they wanted me to open the 'run' box and type in a command..I believe this allows them to hack into all your details like log ins on websites etc...its very funny when you know what they are up to but i wonder how many people have been caught out..:mad:

I always worry one of my parents would answer such a call and follow the commands without realising the problems it would cause...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I always worry one of my parents would answer such a call and follow the commands without realising the problems it would cause...

Same here - so periodically I refresh their memories to be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

kbell wrote: »
    in the end i had her confirm all my details to me, full name, dob, balance, recent transactions etc..
    Saw a program on telly about how consters get this info from your green bin.

On the program the 'actress' got a few letters from the green bin and puts them in her handbag. She then calls the local locksmith and says she's locked herself out. When the locksmith gets there she assures him she is the owner by very convincingly showing him some recent post she has in her handbag. He doesn't suspect a thing.

I NEVER give personal details out unless I've called them.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

kbell wrote: »
    Terrible practice from a company I'd assumed were a bit more professional in their dealings with customers.

It took an age for me to simply close a credit card with them. 2 years after 'closure', received a request from an affiliate company of theirs? Along the lines of here's your credit card insurance (that you didn't ask for, and on a closed account) and it'll be x per month send us the payment details except in a more aggressive tone. Get everything in writing and managers names.

Mad lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

My Mam got a call from an Indian man one day, telling her he was from Microsoft and that there was a virus on the computer. He asked her to go onto the computer and then type in everything he said. She said No because she doesnt know how to work the computer, she asked for his phone number to ring him back when i got in and he wouldnt give it just saying he would ring back later.... Never got the phone call but i was well ready for him if he did ring back.

Had to make her promise me never to do what these people ask. They can so easily fool people into giving out details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

As regards ESB, I got a call like that once. Wasn't sure about it so I asked the person their first name and said I was looking to look up the official EBS phone number (it was on my last bill) and ask for same person.
    Turned out to be genuine in my case but it pays to be careful.

If in doubt, don't give out info. Look for official number (not one they give you for obvious reason) and call the genuine office.

Were they looking for financial details? If so they're idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

Karona wrote: »
    My Mam got a call from an Indian man one day, telling her he was from Microsoft and that there was a virus on the computer. He asked her to go onto the computer and then type in everything he said. She said No because she doesnt know how to work the computer, she asked for his phone number to ring him back when i got in and he wouldnt give it just saying he would ring back later.... Never got the phone call but i was well ready for him if he did ring back.

Had to make her promise me never to do what these people ask. They can so easily fool people into giving out details.

My Mother received the same call, some guy said he was from Microsoft and there was an issue with the computer. I happened to be around and she handed me the phone. He repeated to me why he was calling so I asked him if he had so much info what was the IP number of the computer, he sounded confused and said that he only get reports and not that information. I asked him where he was calling from and his name. he tried to fob me with MS head office CA. I then told him that I too work for MS (a lie) and wanted his details. he then started to shout that he couldn't hear me and was transferring the call...and the line went dead.

I just wish I had a whistle at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Scotty # wrote: »
    Saw a program on telly about how consters get this info from your green bin.

Why on earth would anyone put personal letters, bills, etc into the green bin (without shredding them at least)?

There's always one, I guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

gipi wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone put personal letters, bills, etc into the green bin (without shredding them at least)?

There's always one, I guess....
    ONE!?!?... I'd say there's thousands!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

Got a call from an Indian gentleman this morning, he told me he was calling from microsoft in Liverpool.
    I knew he was a scammer and I told him so, he said to me " I can prove I am not a scammer go and check your computer now, you have a virus" I told him I did not have a computer. He hanged up right away :p

My phone has a caller display and his phone number came up.
    00253 820 308..........He was calling from DJIBOTI which is a small country next to Somalia and Ethiopia on the red sea coast.

Well Dodgy or what ?:(

just found this link on another thread on here.

http://www.securityitrust.com/tag/2538020308/

The false microsoft scammers are back working their way through the on-line eircom phone directories again.

I had a call this morning from "rodger" telling me I had a virus on my computer I told him I had some bad news that my computer was broken. He hung up quickly.

Warn your friends and family to be aware of this scam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭K nacker

Indian lad phoned me last week telling me my pc was running slow (what's new) I mucked him about for a few mins to do his head in, then i got bored and hung up. He phoned me back straight away, I told him my pc was now flying but my phone was running slow and hung up on him again. that was the last I heard from him.

Kind of miss'em now.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Aw, how come hackers never ring me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Jay Walker

My mates mum and dad are now living alone and called me last week to say that they had received a call from an Indian sounding guy who told them that they had a virus on their computer. He told them to type some numbers into the pc, I'm guessing so that he could hack into it and gain access to their logins etc. When asked for their credit card details, my mates mum told them that she didnt have a credit card, they said they would call her back later, but never did.

They asked me to come and take a look at the computer later that evening. I couldnt see anything untoward on the pc, so I did a system restore.....anyone know if that would clear the changes made to the computer as a result of hacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I love pissing these people about. Constantly phoning me in Chester. I lead them on and pretending I'm worried and then I start asking them directions on how to remove the virus from my MacBook. You have to try it! I kid you not, once when I spring the MacBook line on them, they actually said that the virus can "jump wirelessly in to the PC and that we should fix that one first." Bloody chancers.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I love pissing these people about. Constantly phoning me in Chester. I lead them on and pretending I'm worried and then I start asking them directions on how to remove the virus from my MacBook. You have to try it! I kid you not, once when I spring the MacBook line on them, they actually said that the virus can "jump wirelessly in to the PC and that we should fix that one first." Bloody chancers.

Modern day bear baiting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Post up your details here and see what happens! :D

I can tell from your post that your pc is working very slowly. please send me your credit card deails so as I can carry out required repairs. Dont be alarmed but your life might be in danger if I do not fix ur computer!!!

Thanking you very happy

Mr Punjab Sting-Singh

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Just literally got that call from the same number just now. They must have got their hands on an 05 phone book now and moved on to the midlands. I didn't answer it anyway, recognised it as a foreign number that I didn't recognise (if you follow me) Have got them before and picked up accidentally. Tell you what, it's great for venting some pent up fury if you get one of these scumbags on the phone.... Cheaper and more effective than therapy, I find!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Months ago I got a call from an Indian sounding person, about a virus in my computer and a security software that I must upgrade - I knew straight away what the game is, but I didn't have the patience to play along, so I asked "Which computer, I have many", and he says *the* "Windows PC" - I responded very unkindly in Hindi asking what scam he's playing at (liberally peppered with colorful words) and he disconnected in a flash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mf16

Got a call today and yesterday from these guys - looked at the number on the phone and realised it was scammers acting the maggot

Anyway of playing these guys back with their own game

Would love to be able to remote logg into their machine and put a virus on their machine - but the would not know what an IP address was

Advertisement