Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a dodgy call today. Possibly scam...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Got a phone call from "ESB" this afternoon, informing me I owed them money on my bill. They told me they could take my credit card details and pay the bill that way. When I told them that I had only paid my bill two weeks ago and was up to date as far as I knew, they said their system was down and they would look more into it and call me back.
    It was probably George Agdgdgwngo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mf16

• Registered Users Posts: 14 star29

lamoss wrote: »
    Got a call from an Indian gentleman this morning, he told me he was calling from microsoft in Liverpool.
    I knew he was a scammer and I told him so, he said to me " I can prove I am not a scammer go and check your computer now, you have a virus" I told him I did not have a computer. He hanged up right away :p

My phone has a caller display and his phone number came up.
    00253 820 308..........He was calling from DJIBOTI which is a small country next to Somalia and Ethiopia on the red sea coast.

Well Dodgy or what ?:(

Just got a missed call from this number on my home phone. I googled the number and this thread came up. Imagine years later he's still ringing trying to scam people!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

star29 wrote: »
    Just got a missed call from this number on my home phone. I googled the number and this thread came up. Imagine years later he's still ringing trying to scam people!:mad:

This is not a one man band scam unfortunately but a well run international scam. The callers originate from a large call centre in Mumbai in India where they systematically work their way though online phone directories for English speaking countries looking for gullable victims. Once you download their "anti-virus programme" it puts a nasty virus of its own onto your PC or laptop, you then think your pc is really infected which it now is, so you have no choice but to pay up for the new anti- virus programme to remove it.

Very clever........You have to pay up and they have your credit card details as well. The call centre in India routes all its calls to Djiboti or other countries to escape prosecution.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I missed a call from this number today,+3534307000.Checked the number out on google and it seems like it's linked to some scam.
    I'm hoping that they ring me back tomorrow because my uncle has lent me a referees whistle that i intend making full use off ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement