Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman purchasing cigarettes for her 12yr old son

Options
  • 21-04-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭

I know a woman in my town who buys cigarettes for her 12yr old son.

I think this is disgracefull is there anything i can do about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is illegal,report her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It is illegal,report her.

surely there is no law that states one must be over 18 to smoke, please correct me if im wrong, just thought it was illegal to buy but not smoke

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks for that I misunderstood the law. You could report them to social services for neglect.

It is also illegal to buy cigarettes for a minor.(Public Health (Tobacco) Act, 2002.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Thanks for that I misunderstood the law. You could report them to social services for neglect

In fairness i think the mother has a lot is issues and i think social services know here well and she has had many problems.

No father on the scene its just heartbreaking ot see young boy having such a tough upbringing he goes to school with my lad and its so sad.

Advertisement