Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Attendent

• 21-04-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knows how you can apply for this job for junior/leaving certificate this summer? Do you have to call into the school itself? any info would be greatly appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If you mean attendant as in the person who sits outside and brings the invigilator the coffee, then contact each individual school.

However the invigilator who supervises the actual exam is appointed by the State Examinations Commission and recruitment for that is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

In my old school, the supervisor who brought coffee, minded bags, etc was usually just a student from the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Same as poxyshamrock for our school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

In my old school, the supervisor who brought coffee, minded bags, etc was usually just a student from the school.

Same in my school!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sophie22

Thanks guys will give my old school a call:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Same for clements - you'd want to be a right boring sod to be the student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I did this when I was in 4th year in clements, it was the worst job I ever had it was so boring it was actually torture ha if you have finished already in the school I think they only pick current students not past ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I know with Clements, that Its Eoin O'Toole that chooses current students to do it - And then they just sit down and listen to their iPods and read the paper etc. for a week and make a few quid :P

Mc Love wrote: »

Im not boring at all just need any job going to pay my way through college not fortunate enough to have rich parents and have everything handed to me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

sophie22 wrote: »
    Im not boring at all just need any job going to pay my way through college not fortunate enough to have rich parents and have everything handed to me:rolleyes:

It'll be only open to current students of the school and if ya were broke,ya'd have a job all year round like I did many moons ago. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Getting anything over €400 for sitting and making tea makes it a little less boring :P

Castletroy College did the same. I was hired when I was in 5th year. Was with 3 others supervising the leaving certs (so we had longer exams = more money ;) )

It could be different in your old school, but I'd say they'll only be hiring current students.
    Best of luck anyway, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I did my InterCert in St. Endas in 1987. We had an invigilator who looked kind of like Basil Fawlty.

Anyway halfway in through the first exam, some girl came in with coffee and biscuits for him. There was shouts from the back of the hall from some of the lads 'give us some biscuits you hunger.'

Everybody started laughing out for a few minutes as he was trying to get us to be quiet.

On the second day of the maths exam he was wondering where all the log books were gone. Chuck, our principal, said that they are probably on sell in the secondhand book store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You're unlikely to get it if you're no longer a pupil. I did it in 5th yr and got €5.35 per hour I think which was the unqualified u-18 wage. They would have to pay you more if you're over 18 which will further reduce your chances.

sophie22 wrote: »

Oh boo hoo :rolleyes:

Oh boo hoo :rolleyes:

on the dole mc love??:p

No sophie - but I am not buying your sob story

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Reel back in the personal remarks, people. Fighting on the Internet is the silliest kind of fighting...

She started it ;) :pac:

She started it ;) :pac:
    ha u called me a boring old sod to want that job so i do believe you started it but I wont hold a grudge:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I was a 5th year when I did it, easiest job ever. :-)

Well, from the sounds of it, it's unlikely you'd get an inviligation gig unless you're a current student or teacher, but you know you could apply to mark the exam? Worth looking into anyway.

• Advertisement

I was a 5th year when I did it, easiest job ever. :-)

Well, from the sounds of it, it's unlikely you'd get an inviligation gig unless you're a current student or teacher, but you know you could apply to mark the exam? Worth looking into anyway.

would you know how I could apply for this or find out more about it? I am not a teacher though just a student in college so probably couldnt mark papers

When I was in college (late 90s), the State Examinations Commission appealed to university students to mark the Civics papers.

I had a look at http://www.examinations.ie/... unfortunately the deadline for examiners and exam superintendents was back in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fairly sure that teachers do the correcting, or they get preference anyway.

So they should. And you'd earn extra money if you're able to correct any exams done as Gaeilge. Hmmm - might look into this myself next year, I have a cúpla focal cáca milis. :D

dont know about that. I think if your doing a college course, say Irish and your in third or forth year you should be allowed to correct papers. Teachers get paid enough let the poor students have a go!:D

Advertisement