Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballyferriter

Options
  • 21-04-2011 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Ballyferriter?
    Hello Everyone,
    Hope you're all doing well. This is a simple question really. Can anybody tell me about Ballyferriter? Myself and a few friends are thinking of heading down there for a weekend to sample a few pubs of an evening and maybe catch a bit of trad music too. Also if anyone can tell me is there outdoor activities (such as golf, surfing, etc.) that we could do during the day?
    Thanks in advance,
    BifMusic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

BallyF - an Buailtín to the locals - is pretty good for a quiet drink or two now that the summer has arrived and there are some tourists around. The pubs usually put up notices if they are having a music session. If there's none you could always check out Ballydavid, Ventry or Dingle but that would mean getting a taxi etc.
    Activity wise - the nearest golf club is Ceann Sibéal, just outside Ballyferriter. Pretty good I'm told. Surfing wise etc - - most of the beaches west of Dingle are not really suitable at all for swimming or surfing and currents etc are dangerous. The small beach in Ballydavid is ok, as is Wine strand - both close to Ballyferriter. For really good surfing you need to go to either Inch or Fermoyle/Castlegregory. Theres a few shops in Dingle - in Green street or Strand street where you could enquire. There's always 3000 feet of Mount Brandon that you could climb - pretty safe in the summer time and not too difficult. Or how about a trip out to the Blaskets for a day? The boats leave from Dunquin pier.
    The tourist office in Dingle is pretty good --
    DINGLE TOURIST INFORMATION OFFICE

Strand Street, Dingle Town
    Telephone 066-9151188

Check out
    www.dingle-peninsula.ie

The bottom line is -- good weather - - everything is possible :D
    bad weather = extra drinking time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

The Golf Course is a decent one to be fair and is only a few miles from the town itself. Haven't ever had to pay there but I am sure the rates would be reasonable.

I would recommend the trip to the Blaskets also. Again not sure on price but wouldn't be overly expensive I am sure and well worth it regardless.

The pubs are normally very friendly and a good night is always had I have found. Even if there is nothing organised band wise that wouldn't stop a local or 2 from giving you a tune.

As for the beaches, Beal Ban( fada over the "e" beal and the "a" in ban) is literally right behind the pubs!! The entrance I always use is down by Gortadoo, but on one occasion feeling adventerous I was walking east along the beach and I was coming up behind the town and took a little slip road and came out behind a pub basically.

Louis Mulcahy's pottery is also on the way out to Dun Chuin(where you get the ferry to the Blaskets) and worth stopping into see.

All in all it is a great place to relax for a few days. If you need directions to any of the above just let me know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tigh Bhric at Riasc is a good stop for a pint and some grub. They also stock beer from the micro-brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Liam C Ryan

Might be on a wrong thread here but seeing that you are talking about Ballyferriter , there is a song called The Land of the Gail which mentions Beal Ban and two or three other places west of Dingle. I would like to learn off the song but find it difficult to understand the irish pronouncation of the local placenames .Someone might be able to help me out.
    Regards
    Liam C

Hi Liam C

if you want to list the placenames/words here I'll do my best to give you a phonetic version of them.

• Advertisement

Hi Lottpaul One sounds like Bail bawn strand , another Crook Painin and the last is Ceann Sibeal . I am learning the song and would like to get it right so if anybody could help I,d be delighted
    Regards
    Liam C

Hi Lottpaul One sounds like Bail bawn strand , another Crook Painin and the last is Ceann Sibeal . I am learning the song and would like to get it right so if anybody could help I,d be delighted
    Regards
    Liam C

Béal Bán -- the white mouth -- bale (like dale) bawn (like dawn)
    Cruach Mhárhin (I'd say) crew-ok vawr(like draw'r) -in
    Ceann Sibéal - Sibeall's Head - keyown (rhyming with crown) shib-ale

Have you tried to look for this song on Youtube? with Gail spelt as Gael - there are probably some versions of it there.

Best of luck.

Many Thanks Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

"When I'm home in the land of the Gael" ? - is the ending line of the verses ? Garry Mc Mahon is the composer, I've heard it, and have some of it on a video from some fleadh years ago, lovely song.
    I've found that if you google the possible titles, with "lyrics" after them, you will find info for most trad songs.

Thanks John

• Advertisement
Advertisement