Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

should i bother

• 21-04-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

We have a 4 yr limousin bull. His daughters are coming into the herd this year and so we were thinking of selling him, problem is when he was a young bull he caught his ring on the hook of a gate and pulled it out :eek:. Now it is impossible to actually put a ring in him. Was wondering should I bother advertising this bull to sell him as a breeding animal as he bred very well for us and is an exceptional animal or is the factory route the way to go with him??? thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We have a 4 yr limousin bull. His daughters are coming into the herd this year and so we were thinking of selling him, problem is when he was a young bull he caught his ring on the hook of a gate and pulled it out :eek:. Now it is impossible to actually put a ring in him. Was wondering should I bother advertising this bull to sell him as a breeding animal as he bred very well for us and is an exceptional animal or is the factory route the way to go with him??? thanks in advance for any replies

The fact that he has no ring will make it more difficult for you to sell him IMO. Beef prices are currently very high for older bulls and cows. I get text messages from the Limousin Society on a regular basis looking for old cows, old bulls and young bulls. It might be worth your while giving them a call to get a price for him - you could be surprised. The the name and number that they constantly send me is John O Grady @ 087 6445516.

I sold a Chaorlais Bull that had damaged a tendon in his leg last september. He has lost a lot of condition because of the leg damage and was around 850kg. IIRC I got about €1600 for him. Prices have risen since then too!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You could try putting an ad on IFJ or donedeal first, if everything else is ok, feet fertility quiet etc. The fact that his calves can be seen means a lot to some ppl.

Not sure but it might be illegal to sell him for breeding with no ring, there is an old thread on it here somewhere, last year I'd say, about ringing a bull. Some ppl are keeping a bull for 1 season only, then slaughtering them instead of wintering them. He might suit someone like this.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

you'll probably get as much for him in the factory.got 1200 for an old Angus cow this week. a good bull like that would come into good money and it's less hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

thanks for the replies lads. looks like might give d one way ticket:D any idea how much pence /lb bulls like these are making hes 950 -1000kgs at d mo?

Advertisement