Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a high End Machine HElp

Options

Comments

deconduo wrote: »
    Spinpoint F3 is a better and cheaper hard drive.
    €60 for 4GB of RAM is a rip off, you can get 8GB kits for a similar price
    The rest is fine, maybe get a CM 690II as a better case, but thats mostly just personal preference.

SuperFlower Amazon 800W would do you, probably don't even need that much.

The ram is 8GB, two sets of 4. The hard drive is just something I threw in for the time being to get a more rounded overall price, definitely looking at a different case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

yea but €120 is still too much for 8GB of RAM.
    Heres a set of Corsair Vengeance for alot less which is also 1600MHz:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=40701&agid=1193

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Have you seen this monitor?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39794
    I haven't compared specs but it seems pretty cheap at €230.
    Only €205 at dabs.ie
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/lg-electronics-lg-w2363d-23--3d-lcd-monitor-77LV.html

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

I have the Mugen 2 cooler, the corsair vengeance ram will not fit on slot 3. I have 2 Samsung hard drives and they aren't great at all. Compared to other brands they are noisy and 1 of them has bad sectors.

yea but €120 is still too much for 8GB of RAM.
    Heres a set of Corsair Vengeance for alot less which is also 1600MHz:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=40701&agid=1193

I kept looking at the 60 euro price not thinking it was doubled, a curse of not sleeping for days on end.

• Advertisement

How is it looking now?

156353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

That ram has tall heat spreaders. You won't be able to use the last 2 slots, slot 3 & 4. Get a different cpu cooler or ram instead such as g.skill ripjaws.

Going with this ram:http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44316&agid=1205

Gonna price it all on dabs also as it seems to be cheaper for many of the parts.

Decided to preorder the new Deus Ex and Crysis 2, really looking forward to havig a machine capeable of playing both as they should be.

Some items may be cheaper on dabs but they have a very bad selection in some areas, such as PSUs. It may be better to order from both together.

Take a look at combinations on dabs, e.g., for that monitor click on the bundles tab to save 10% on glasses, which starting at €129, puts them cheaper than HWV.

Also have a look at scan.co.uk, in particular their "today only" page which stays the same over the weekend if you plan to order soon - hard drive, processor and similar GPU are on it.
    Actually, that 3D monitor and glasses are on the today only page for £263.99 (just under €300)

Monotype wrote: »
    Actually, that 3D monitor and glasses are on the today only page for £263.99 (just under €300)

Works out at 328 delivered which isn't too bad.

• Advertisement

Just hit something of a bump, budget may have to be shaved slightly for the time being. Wondering if people think it would be a good idea to get just one graphics card for the time being and then buy a second one later in a month or two? any suggestions as to if I should get one GTX 570 and another later on or buy a slightly better card for the time being?

Decided to put the entire order through Scan, seems the easiest way to go and prices are quite comparable. That it would all be delivered this coming wednesday makes it even better. Have to add in ram, a psu and a wireless card before the order is complete but I'm pretty hapy with my current basket.

156394.jpg

Can someone recommend me some ram and a psu which I can get on scan? THink what I have is all I need nad want to put the order through today to avail of the offer on the monitor.

For the PSU, maybe the 800W Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold on the today page. That should cover your sli 570s and a bit of overclocking.

RAM
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-corsair-xms3-ddr3-pc3-10666-(1333)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-150v

For the PSU, maybe the 800W Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold on the today page. That should cover your sli 570s and a bit of overclocking.

RAM
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-corsair-xms3-ddr3-pc3-10666-(1333)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-150v

Any suggestions as to how I could bring the price down to around 1,250 euro. All ready decided to ust get one grapics card for the time being and put off on the 3d kit for a few weeks due to having to fork out 500 euro for a rahter unexpected expense yesterday.

Yes, I can see straight away how to bring it down. You didn't add from the today only page - you have to click the "buy" button on the deals page itself to avail of the lower price. Post back what your total is then.

Yes, I can see straight away how to bring it down. You didn't add from the today only page - you have to click the "buy" button on the deals page itself to avail of the lower price. Post back what your total is then.

Did that but when the psu and 8GB or ram is thrown in it comes to 1,370. Hoping that I may be able to get away with not paying vat, may know someone who can order it for me which if they can do I'll be laughing as with the 3D bundle it would come to 1,208 euro but if I can't any suggestions to brign it down somewhat.

After a bit of searching and finding some cheaper parts I got this:
    156456.jpg

Would still like to get it as close to 1,200 euro as possible though, really need to get it under 1,250 euro.

You don't really need the heatsink that much. Intel's new processors run quite cool and will manage with the stock processor even when overclocked a little. It'll be a bit noisier but I think it's the part that you can drop the easiest.

RAM- 8GB is quite unnecessary for games. I'm not sure about the editing software you mentioned in post #1. You could get 4GB now and another 4GB later when you have the money.

Blu ray drive - Is there any chance that you have an older DVD drive until you can afford something better?

Are you sure about that green drive? I think maybe one F3 for now and you could expand onto a 2TB green drive later.

You don't really need the heatsink that much. Intel's new processors run quite cool and will manage with the stock processor even when overclocked a little. It'll be a bit noisier but I think it's the part that you can drop the easiest.

RAM- 8GB is quite unnecessary for games. I'm not sure about the editing software you mentioned in post #1. You could get 4GB now and another 4GB later when you have the money.

Blu ray drive - Is there any chance that you have an older DVD drive until you can afford something better?

Are you sure about that green drive? I think maybe one F3 for now and you could expand onto a 2TB green drive later.

All ready dropped down to 1TB and 4GB of ram, figured that they were both things I could pick up in a few months. I need the Blu Ray drive as a lot of the footage I'll be editing from is all ready on Blu Ray discs so it's a necessary evil.

This is what I'm at now, anything else I need before I order, maybe a cheap wireless card? Should I get all the cables or expect the ones I need to come supplied

156468.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, you should have all the cables you need. Is that a single stick of RAM? I'd get a dual channel kit and get another two sticks later if necessary. If it's a single stick, make sure you get another exactly the same.

Ordered it all Monday evening with an estimated delivery date of today as all items were lsited as in stock only to get an email saying that they were out of stock of 3 of the items I ordered but they would be sent on Wednesday evening. Still no despatch email and quite annoyed atm, really had hoped to get it all together before the end of the weekend.

That's poor having incorrect stock marked on three items.
    Sometimes they don't send dispatch emails. Scan are fast at delivering, but getting it in two days seems unlikely.

That's poor having incorrect stock marked on three items.
    Sometimes they don't send dispatch emails. Scan are fast at delivering, but getting it in two days seems unlikely.

It's irritating as hell as I've sent them two emails regarding it and have yet to recieve a reply. All the items they said were out of stock are listed on the site as being in stock still. It's bloody annoying, if I don't hear from them before tomorrow afternoon I'll be ringing them.

Finially got a reply from them and it seems that it is the motherboard which out of stock, the other items are back in but the MB won't be there for 3-4 days.

Think I may look at another MB that's instock, any suggestions on an equally good board?

I wouldn't go down in prices when dual graphics cards is important. Next one up is the MSI GD65, which is about €10 dearer than the GD55.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-p67a-gd65-(b3)-intel-p67-s-1155-pci-e-20-(x16)-ddr3-1600-2133-sata-6gb-s-raid-atx

Edit: On scan, there's "today only" deal with the processor and motherboard combination.

I wouldn't go down in prices when dual graphics cards is important. Next one up is the MSI GD65, which is about €10 dearer than the GD55.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-p67a-gd65-(b3)-intel-p67-s-1155-pci-e-20-(x16)-ddr3-1600-2133-sata-6gb-s-raid-atx

Edit: On scan, there's "today only" deal with the processor and motherboard combination.

Thanks for that, going to email and ask if I can change it to the GD65 and hopefully get my order shipped asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CullyA

hey Darko,

av a look at post 39 ,my bro got a large dicount when rang up scan complaining :worth a go me thinks .
    ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231612&page=3

good luck with pc

Finially got an email to say that my order had been sent. The estiamted time of arrival is sometime tomorrow but after repeatedly trying to get a firm time and day from Scan I gave up and decided I'll jsut make sure I'm at home all day tomorrow and next. Shame as my brother is emigrating tomorrow and I had planned to go to Shannon and see him off.

• Advertisement

:( Well that's crap. Tell scan that they'll never be able to repay you for the damage caused. :pac:

Maybe your brother might be able to get you cheap parts in the future from abroad. :)

Advertisement