Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Venues

Options
  • 21-04-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey,
    Hoping this is the right forum to post on. I am a 19 year old band promotor based in Dublin and am wondering what would be the best venues for a gig? Various places (E.G: Cork, Wexford, Wicklow etc.) are welcome to comment as I would like to start going to different locations other than Dublin. Crowd wise and cost wise to be kept in mind...

Regards,
    Steph.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

A great place for upcoming bands would be Masons in waterford

http://www.masons.ie/index.html

Always packed every night, great atmosphere too

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Covers or originals?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Legend_Steph

I should mention that I promote any type/genre of band and also covers and originals. :)

Reason I asked is that most of the cover venues are only using the big pullers now and no longer risking new acts. Im guessing at 19 you dont have any of the large cover acts yet?

Theres great venues from wex - bundoran - killarney - drogheda and all in between you just have to have the right act to sell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

As a gig goer in Cork I find the best small venues are The Roundy, Cyprus Avenue and maybe Mr Bradleys.

• Advertisement

PMI: I agree with you. I am finding myself that up coming artists aren't getting enough attention that they deserve. And instead the more bigger bands are the ones that are getting the venue places and attention. I personally know 2 bands that are pretty well known at this stage. I've helped out with Local Battle of The Bands and know them through that. :)

To Sammalone and everyone else so far: Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help! :D

Its mainly the times, about 5-6 years ago anyone could play anywhere, but now due to economics, a poster has to go up and venue has to be filled in order to get repeat bookings. its no longer hey look I can play and arnt we coooool, its hey look the place is full for the venue owner.

Its not gonna change anytime soon either, and this also makes it hard for the guys doing the biz as they have to try and keep venues afloat on their own between maybe 4-8 bands ?!?

I agree with you. Another thing I have found is that venues are getting expensive to hire out. I understand that they have to be for rent, promotion etc. but for band promotors like me, I am finding it hard to hire out the venues as so far all the money has come from my own pocket. I know its the way it has to be if I want to be successful but I just thought I'd mention that...:)

Advertisement