Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Nikon SB700 speedlight

• 21-04-2011 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

I am considering buying a new speedlight and have been thinking about the nikon sb700. However I was wondering are there any recommendations for alternatives for similar or less money from the third party manufacturers. I will be using it with my d90.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Look for a used sb-600 the sb-700 is nice but it's just not worth the price hike. Hell a Sb-400 might be all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I use an SB-600 so I can't comment on the SB-700 (nor have I used any compatibles). However, there is a review of the SB-700 in the latest issue of Amatuer Photography. Also, you can pick up a used SB-600 on adverts.ie for a lot less every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I had thought about a sb600 but I read that they are not the friendliest to use. How do you find yours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Just stating a Model does not give much of a guide as to how you plan to use the Flash.

The SB-700 has many options, but which ones are important to you?

How much power will you require? Will you be bouncing the flash? Will be using the Commander mode?

If it's just for on camera direct or diffused flash, then just about anything will probably do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

richieg wrote: »
    I had thought about a sb600 but I read that they are not the friendliest to use. How do you find yours?

The SB 600s are amazing. More powerful than the SB800s, although slower recycling time. They can be used in commander mode wirelessly (using infared) and they do everything I want of them. I can't understand why anyone who'd only be using flashes for a hobby would want anything more expensive.

Truth be told, I'm using radio transmitters now and I could happily use the much cheaper Sigma, Sunpack or Metz equivalent models to the same effect as what I have.

Think about what you want it for first. If it's gonna be on the top of your camera most the time, consider something cheaper. And if you want to take it off camera, consider a Sunpak flash and yongnuo radio transmitters - you'd be still saving money over the sb700 - probably over the sb600 too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

mehfesto wrote: »
    The SB 600s are amazing. More powerful than the SB800s, although slower recycling time.

the sb800 has a guide number of 124, sb 600 98, the 800 is more powerful and recycles slower under same battery power( additional battery can be added to 800 to speed it up. and the sb800 has built in commander, sb 600 does not, on lower end cameras the sb800 can be used to command other flashes, howeever the 600 can not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

It will be mainly on camera but I want bounce and swivel. I am starting to experiment with off camera flash. I have a jessops flash unit and it is a disaster which put me off 3rd party units a little but I have heard horror stories about the sb600 being hard to use where as the sb700 is supposed to be better.

I am looking for something I can "grow" into I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

richieg wrote: »
    It will be mainly on camera but I want bounce and swivel. I am starting to experiment with off camera flash. I have a jessops flash unit and it is a disaster which put me off 3rd party units a little but I have heard horror stories about the sb600 being hard to use where as the sb700 is supposed to be better.

I am looking for something I can "grow" into I suppose

SB-600 would be grand so if you don't mind the price.
    It's a lovely little thing to start with and you could always get an SB700 or 800 for the commander in the future if you wanted.

I have two sb600s and use them with radio transmitters now. I used them onboard initially and they were great for parties, quick portraits etc., when bounced. Evenually I got two and used the commander mode on my camera to control them, but that wasn't great because the range is poor and the signals can be blocked by physical things in their way (eg. my model! :pac:) so I got a few receivers and a transmitter for about 40quid on ebay and I'm sorted now.

Gonna get the Lumo Pro one when it come back in stock in eBay shop I buy from. Great price and will do everything I want from a flash.

I love my sb600s though. So, so simple to use and adjust. They're sturdy enough and a nice weight too.

Advertisement