Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know where I can get moth balls?

• 21-04-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm having problems with moths in my wardrobes. They've already eaten a chunk out of a blanket and I'm worried they'll start on my clothes. I've tried everywhere for old fashioned moth balls but no luck. Does anyone know where I can get some, or failing that any other way of getting rids of the varmints!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Hire an exterminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

Moths are a nightmare to get rid of. It isn't the moth, but the larvae that does the damage, so by the time you see the moth... it's too late.

Good hygeine, on an extreme level is the only way to go, moth balls are more of a preventative than a cure, and if you've already got them, then you'll have to get rid of them first.

here what to do

1. Wash all stored fabrics and curtains above 60 degrees (or freeze for a day or two if you can't wash them.)

2. Vacuum all drawers and wardrobes, paying special attention to corners and gaps.

3. Take the matress off the bed and vacuum the base (if you have a divan, you might be in trouble as the moths will be having a real party inside it where you can't get to it). Vacuum the matress and if possible, borrow or buy a steam cleaner - well worth the investment. steam the matress.

4. Get down on your hands and knees and use the hoover nozzle to get right into the edges of the room (you may be able to use your steamer here too, depending on your floor covering)

5. Pull everything out from the wall and use the vacuum to get at the top of the skirting boards etc.

6. Once your fabrics are washed and dried (or frozen) repack them in those vacuum seal bags.

7. Remember, you'll have to do this for every room in the house and even then, you'll never get rid of them all... the trick is to keep them down. Also, keep the clutter to a minimum, throw out those dusty stuffed toys and fabric head boards. Use lavender essential oil as a deterant. Put a few drops on a paper tissue and store with your clothes. Also use lavender on sofas, the edges of carpets, the tops of skirting boards, behind picture frames, anywhere that looks like it might be harbouring a pesky moth larva (they look like maggots, and hide themselves in cocoon of whatever they are eating, which looks like a bit of fluff)

8. You should be able to find mothballs on ebay, or in one of those old hardware shops where the owner wears a blue boiler suit and isn't too sure about how to talk to anything female.

Good luck

Advertisement