Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My IBT

• 21-04-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

Following on from this post, i thought i would throw up a quick trip report on my IBT training.

I had a few issues finding someone here in the Limerick area to complete the course factoring in i do shift work, and work every second weekend, it was looking like it would be a 4-6 week wait, I dont like to wait !

Anyways, i gave Roadskill down in waterford a ring and a guy named Richard called me back about 15 mins later with dates to suit me, thursday and the following tuesday, result !

Well, that was today, was on the road about 6.30 and made it down to their offices about 9.15, stopped for the breakfast roll of course !

I was not too sure what to expect but Richard made me and the other guy doing the course feel very relaxed from the start with a nice cuppa.

On to the training, there are 4 modules to complete, module 1 was in the classroom, all you need to know about the various types of PPE, the layout of the controls, the checks you need to do on the bike before you ride it, starting and stopping the bike, placing it on the stand and walking alongside the bike. This took just over 3 hours, with a coffee/smoke break in the middle to break it up, didnt feel as long as it was because it was actually interesting, considering I have never riden a bike before today !

Next was module 2. This is the practicle part, completed in an enclosed compound next door to the classrooms, the school has 3 bikes, a 125cc, 250cc and i think a 650 ( may have been 600, not sure). You are shown the correct way to place the bike and remove it from the center stand, may sound idiot proof but it aint ! Then he went over the POWDER checks you complete before you ride then starting and stopping the machine.

Next was a break for lunch, i am not too sure if there is a shop around, i didnt look that hard but the school provided sandwhiches, drinks and meanies* and another cuppa.

It must have been 25 degrees at this stage, the best day of the year so far and i have to wrap up in protective gear, helmet and gloves but it has to be done i guess.

This was the part i was looking forward to and nervous at the same time, actually riding the machine, anyways, you start off learning where the biting point on the clutch is and how you use it in conjunction with the throttle and back brake at low speeds, took a while to get the hang of it but richard was patient enough with us and we had it down in no time, next was just riding the bike for a longer distance at the same slow speed, all about being able to manouver the bike around obsticles and stuff with your feet up at slow speeds, after this it was a serious of cones you weave in and out of and then turning in a tight circle and exiting weaving in and out of cones again, this was dificult but after a few turns you get it down pretty good. Next there was figures of 8 and then some riding around the compound getting used to turning at faster speed etc. Next was stopping fast in a controled manner, again, lots of practise here, then there was U turn and observation, turning your head, blind spots and the lifesaver.

I done most of it on the 250cc bike but had a go on the 125cc near the end, preferred the 250cc to be honest and got a go on the 600cc at the end just to feel the difference, and man, is there some difference !

Next Tuesday are parts 3 and 4, 3 is a small classroom session and 4 is actually out on the open road, really looking forward to this part !

Anyways, big thanks to Richard and Roadskill so far, it was worth the 5hr round trip today !

* I hate meanies, nice pack of tayto next time please...lol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Great post OP! Any word on pricing or whether there were discounts going? Was the gear provided or did you have your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Great post OP! Any word on pricing or whether there were discounts going? Was the gear provided or did you have your own?

The price is 400 notes,thats with 2 people, as for discounts, he told me, included in the module 4, the actual "on the road" riding they include an insurance assesment, this alone is worth about 150 and depending on what age you are will give you an auto % discount with either quinn or aon, for me, at 38 throwing the figures into quinn online the difference between having the assesment and not was about 100 euro, depends on the bike and your age to be honest, i will mention a boards.ie discount when i am down again Tuesday !!

As for gear, i had my own helmet, got a loan of pants and boots from a mate but the guy who was with me only had a jacket and they supplied him with all the stuff he needed along with my jacket and gloves. To be certified to run the course they have to supply all the gear, bikes, insurance and an enclosed compound, the RSA are very strict on this as far as i know.

Time for the scratcher, if you want to know anything else just give me a shout, need the bed....whats the bet i dream of riding a bike ? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Passed my test a couple of year's back with Richard.He's a great instructor,very patient.
    Think he goes by the name of Roadskill on here too.
    One piece of advice I will give you,if you are doing the lesson's in Waterford do the test there too..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would you not try to do some of the training on your own bike so you get used to it?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Would you not try to do some of the training on your own bike so you get used to it?

It would mean bringing a bike on a trailor down to waterford, i dont have a trailor and dont have a bike either...lol...the SV sale fell through....:(

From driving the 250 yesterday, allbeit in an enclosed compound it felt powerful enough for me, i will get a chance tuesday to see how it feels on the open road and make a decision then on what i am looking for now, i had left out sub 400cc machines from my previous searches but they are now included !

• Advertisement

Roadskill will probably be the place for me then! I'll more than likely be going by myself as everyone I know either has been driving bikes for years or has no interest. Typical ! :rolleyes:. Have no bother Forking out the full amount though. I think it's very beneficial for beginners.

Roadskill will probably be the place for me then! I'll more than likely be going by myself as everyone I know either has been driving bikes for years or has no interest. Typical ! :rolleyes:. Have no bother Forking out the full amount though. I think it's very beneficial for beginners.

I didnt know the other person who is doing it with me, he just paired us up to make it cheaper. Chances are there is someone else in the same boat ! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

oleras wrote: »
    It would mean bringing a bike on a trailor down to waterford, i dont have a trailor and dont have a bike either...lol...the SV sale fell through....:(

From driving the 250 yesterday, allbeit in an enclosed compound it felt powerful enough for me, i will get a chance tuesday to see how it feels on the open road and make a decision then on what i am looking for now, i had left out sub 400cc machines from my previous searches but they are now included !

Sub 400 are grand but you may find they run out of wind on the open road. If possible get a bigger bike and restrict if you plan on keeping it for a while, then 2 years later you get a new bike for free. If you plan on changing then it makes no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

How did the second day go?

Part 2.

Sorry guys for the delay, crazy busy with work.

So, headed down to Waterford nice and early Tuesday morning, nice dry day again and not as warm as the previous Thursday.

Module 3 was nice and short, Licence details, rules of the road, being seen, observations etc.

Then out to the compound to get geared up for Module 4..out on the road.

We started off getting used to the bikes again for 10-15 mins then rode them around the industrial estate, nice and safe location covering left and right turns, stop signs, yield signs etc.

Richard, the instructor is in constant radio communication with you, giving instructions etc, he cant hear you...which may be a good thing with the yelps of joy i made on more than one occasion...:D

The idea of the final module is to cover nearly all road types, Dual carriageways, N and R, country lanes, 2+1, roundabouts (all exits) steep inclines and steeper declines, city riding in traffic jams, overtaking, hill starts etc.

I am not too familiar with waterford so dont have the route down but from the airport we went to kilmeaden covering dual carriageway and N with pleanty of roundabout thrown in, also stopped and he showed us how to juice the bikes up, again, seems simple but unless someone shows you the correct way and the danger involved you dont know.

Stopped for coffee and a chat, going over what we covered, not sure where we went to next but it involved a lot of R road, positioning on bends, observation etc, then through the city, it was lunch time and pretty busy, stopping and starting at lights etc, then a stop for lunch, great pub/restauraunt under a very tight bend with a big outside area, Richard paid for the food and the drinks and coffee again.

Then more riding, out to dunmore east i think...in total we covered about 110KM and my ass was sore at the end of it...lol.

Finished up back at the Roadskill HQ and some paperwork to complete and we had completed the IBT and the Quinn assesment, which is included in the price.

Thoughts : They run a real good operation down there, very good instructor and would deffo go back for more with them.

Out on the open road really makes you aware of how vunerable you are, tied into that feeling of freedom and adventure you get by riding a motorcycle, besides the technical skills you learn I think the realisation that you need 100% concentration 100% of the time was worth the money alone !

Now to find myself a bike as i am all legaled up !! :D

Just out of bed so excuse the spelling....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Thanks for the positive feedback Ole. It's good to hear from someone who has actually done IBT instead of the people it doesn't affect. BTW well done and stay safe when you get your bike you put in the effort so hopefully you will get the rewards.

Roadskill wrote: »
    Thanks for the positive feedback Ole. It's good to hear from someone who has actually done IBT instead of the people it doesn't affect. BTW well done and stay safe when you get your bike you put in the effort so hopefully you will get the rewards.

Cheers Richard, and thanks again for the pack of Tayto...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

oleras wrote: »
    Cheers Richard, and thanks again for the pack of Tayto...;)

Great to see a good report on an instructor. Richard, you may be doing this already but be sure to hit biker.ie and irishbikerforum.com

If you doing ROSPA/IAM etc be sure to get listed with them also...

Great to see a keen newbie willing to hit waterford for good instruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Thanks for the post mate. I'm just waiting to do my theory in the next few weeks then I need to look for someone to do the IBT. I might give RoadSkill a call, they sound like a well put together operation!

Like you I've never ridden a bike before and am quite nervous starting the whole operation off!

Updating this thread as I'm just after completing my IBT in Roadskill as well.

Like Oleras and Slinky I've never been on a bike before and was thrilled when a spot opened up for the IBT over the last two days. Fortunately they were able to pair me up with someone so it was ideal.

I was concerned that the person doing the IBT with me would have more experience than me, which he did; but Richard was able to (somehow) instruct me without impairing the other lad's more experienced learning. Dead sound, too. Tbh I don't know how he was able to keep his cool with me fecking up my gearing/biting point so many times!

Again as someone who has never sat on a bike I feel a lot more informed and now have an idea of what to look out for when buying and maintaining a bike/equipment. If the IBT had been brought in years ago there'd be far fewer injuries/deaths on the roads.

400 notes is well worth it especially as the insurance assessment that came with it has brought my Quinn quote down by €180.

Thanks again Richard for the tuition and advice on bikes/gear! Hopefully I can get your advice when I'm in the dealers next week..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

If the IBT had been brought in years ago there'd be far fewer injuries/deaths on the roads.

What are you basing this on? How many motorcycle deaths are inexperienced riders?

I'm basing it on the simple fact that there are so many people who, in the past, had bought a motorbike on their 17th birthday and went out to learn for themselves without any help when it came to the basics; unless they knew people who've been riding for years.

I say the same about people learning to drive cars. I've always been of the opinion that people should learn to drive any vehicle in a supervised and controlled area before being allowed out on a public road. I don't mean to offend anyone nor am I trying to convince you to believe me. It's just my opinion.

Updating this thread as I'm just after completing my IBT in Roadskill as well.

Like Oleras and Slinky I've never been on a bike before and was thrilled when a spot opened up for the IBT over the last two days. Fortunately they were able to pair me up with someone so it was ideal.

I was concerned that the person doing the IBT with me would have more experience than me, which he did; but Richard was able to (somehow) instruct me without impairing the other lad's more experienced learning. Dead sound, too. Tbh I don't know how he was able to keep his cool with me fecking up my gearing/biting point so many times!

Again as someone who has never sat on a bike I feel a lot more informed and now have an idea of what to look out for when buying and maintaining a bike/equipment. If the IBT had been brought in years ago there'd be far fewer injuries/deaths on the roads.

400 notes is well worth it especially as the insurance assessment that came with it has brought my Quinn quote down by €180.

Thanks again Richard for the tuition and advice on bikes/gear! Hopefully I can get your advice when I'm in the dealers next week..!

Delighted that you got on great, i know what you mean about the expert tuition, there are lots of people that learned in a field and are great riders now but i am sure there are also many people who have made silly mistakes in their learning miles that could have been avoided with expert tuition.

Stay safe. ;)

Advertisement