Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy a CRT television, have some questions

• 21-04-2011 10:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a small enough one for a bedroom and hooking up some retro consoles to it. I have a few questions that maybe someone here can help me with -

Firstly, is there any brand I should be looking out for and ones to avoid?

One that has an RGB socket is a must, are there brands that usually don't support RGB?

Should I only be going for one that supports stereo or is mono that much different?

I need it to be able to display in 60hz also. Do most TVs support 60hz? I'd imagine I won't be buying that is much more than 5/6 years old either.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Go for a really good brand, people don't want them anymore and giving them away. You can get Sonys or Philips for next to nothing. Avoid cheap brands like Black Diamond since they only support 60Hz through RGB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The all have a model number so if someone is offering you a Sony widescreen crt then ask for the model number and Google it to see what it can do, then figure if its for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You should try to get the same CRT that I got from Enternow a few weeks ago. It's a 29 inch Sony Trinitron 4:3 aspect ratio with a super flat screen. The screen is so flat that it makes the tv insanely heavy. I think they used some kind of black hole technology to get the thing so flat..it feels heavier than it should be - but on the plus side, it gives the best CRT picture I've ever seen. Eye wateringly beautiful. It looks very similar to the CRT that's in my arcade machine.

I think the model number is KV21X5U. Looks like this -

2643605-231m.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQS-RdHtBW_61MthmaMdRu7S3iqnYmh0g9jDmrvNLJb8clPaubX&t=1

54771987.jpg

Oh, also forgot to mention, the stereo sound is awesome too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ct89

Sony Triniton FTW! Parents bought one as the main TV in 99 i think or thereabouts, still works like a charm!

Advertisement