Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next drive for Garda and Garda reserve

Options
  • 21-04-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

just wondering when the next drive for Garda and Garda reserve might be. I'm 19 now and just wondering is it worth the wait if it's a while away and say if it's in four years is 23 considered old to be joining the gards.

thanks nathan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Lord only knows when the full-time Gardaí will recruit again. Your guess is as good as any. When they do, no, 23 would not be considered too old at all. A manager from one of my previous workplaces is on the last panel still awaiting a call to begin training and is 34/35.

As for the Garda Reserve, they are recruiting on an ongoing basis. See my sticky here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055677315

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

Not good :/ but I seen somewhere that there are over 3000 people looking for 500 places in the Garda reserves. the plan was to join the reserves until the next recruitment for full time guards. just have this sick feeling on never getting to be what I always wanted to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Don't give up yet, I certainly haven't. And I need laser sugery before I can even be considered again.

I believe a job in the Guards is a calling not a simple career move, those who want it badly enough will try until they get it, and if all else fails there are forces in other countries just begging for officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 clarky09

sdonn good point. Becoming a Guard is definitely a persons calling in life. You wouldn't put yourself through all that if you didn't honestly think you were meant to be a guard.

As for recruitment, it'll be 12 months + as we all already know. But even then we were told don't get your hopes up, 300 are waiting to be called up and they've done medicals and everything. We were told granted a few have fallen off the band wagon (gone to Oz and US) there are still a lot to fill the possibly only 100 positions available. The reserve is the best place to be over the next year or two...(or three!) If you are still interested in the Guards after all of this waiting since the beginning of the moratorium, then by eck, we'll make some fine stakeout officers lol! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

I emailed the guards college directly and was told that they werent recruiting until 2014! apparently a few are getting recruited through the reserves so that seems to be the best way.

• Advertisement

Haha guess more than a few will have fallen off the band wagon by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

tippniall wrote: »
    I emailed the guards college directly and was told that they werent recruiting until 2014! apparently a few are getting recruited through the reserves so that seems to be the best way.
    when you say a few getting recruited through the reserve how exactly was that phrased???

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

glhoran121 wrote: »
    when you say a few getting recruited through the reserve how exactly was that phrased???
    The Garda
    reserves are recruiting at the moment. but I don't think it means that garda reserves are been offered places as full timers. just in case you were wondering that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

i was thinking that would have been sorted haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5 corkbaz

Excuse my ignorance, as I haven't been following the board, but does anyone one know if the gardai will be recruiting in 2011, 2012???? I registered with publicjobs.ie over a year ago, in the hope that I would recieve notification about garda recruitment. still waiting????? I'm 34 soon, so I reckon it's getting too late for myself. It's a pity as it's all I wanted to do for a while. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Hi corkbaz. Been registered with publicjobs.ie myself since 2008, no call yet. A lot of people say no recruitment until 2014 but when I was down for Reserve Training (where there were also men in their early-mid 30's wanting to join full-time) the Sergeant said the Gardai will recruit in 12 months as the number of retirees rises. We were told not to get our hopes up as there are 300 successful candidates ready to begin Garda training in Templemore even though some have gone abroad and some no longer interested in the Gardai as a career there will only maybe be 100 positions available so it will be extremely hard to get a place I would imagine.

As for the age, I also heard in Templemore that they may be altering this age limit thing and getting rid of it altogether. Give HQ a buzz they'll give you better advice, they're usually quite helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭irelanddan

clarky09 wrote: »
    Hi corkbaz. Been registered with publicjobs.ie myself since 2008, no call yet. A lot of people say no recruitment until 2014 but when I was down for Reserve Training (where there were also men in their early-mid 30's wanting to join full-time) the Sergeant said the Gardai will recruit in 12 months as the number of retirees rises. We were told not to get our hopes up as there are 300 successful candidates ready to begin Garda training in Templemore even though some have gone abroad and some no longer interested in the Gardai as a career there will only maybe be 100 positions available so it will be extremely hard to get a place I would imagine.

As for the age, I also heard in Templemore that they may be altering this age limit thing and getting rid of it altogether. Give HQ a buzz they'll give you better advice, they're usually quite helpful.

Hi Clarky
    There are 400 in the current panel who will be called when recruitment starts again(source:Kildarestreet.com) and I also came across newspaper article few months ago where A.Shatter suggested age limit might be extended so there must be some truth to it if you heard it also.Competition will be intense but all you can do is your best when it does come around.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

irelanddan wrote: »
    I also came across newspaper article few months ago where A.Shatter suggested age limit might be extended so there must be some truth to it if you heard it also.
    Just to clarify, what the government means when they say they might raise the age-limit is that they were thinking of raising the entry limit from 18 years to 21 years.
    They've been spoilt over the last few years getting in people with life experience and maybe a degree too that they now tend to prefer these kinds of candidates. So they were considering not allowing anyone under 21 years of age to join.
    Unfortunately from your point of view, they weren't talking about raising the upper age limit. There was no suggestion of raising it beyond 35 years of age. It was the lower limit they were referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭irelanddan

2wsxcde3 wrote: »
    Unfortunately from your point of view, they weren't talking about raising the upper age limit. There was no suggestion of raising it beyond 35 years of age. It was the lower limit they were referring to.

I don't know what you mean by 'unfortunately' and I dont care less what you mean by it.It doesnt make any difference to me I'm on the panel,it only applies to people applying in next campaign and even if it did I'm only 24.
    Also,you're wrong regarding age limit,Alan Shatter said via Kildarestreet.com that 'Consideration is being given to changing the upper age limit'.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭2wsxcde3

irelanddan wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by 'unfortunately' and I dont care less what you mean by it.It doesnt make any difference to me I'm on the panel,it only applies to people applying in next campaign and even if it did I'm only 24.
    Also,you're wrong regarding age limit,Alan Shatter said via Kildarestreet.com that 'Consideration is being given to changing the upper age limit'.
    I wasn't talking to you?? I just used your quote to reference the point that Clark09 made to Corkbaz (who is 34 and thinking of applying) about that there might be a chance the upper age limit might be increased.

The "unfortunately" (which for some touchy reason you took offence to??) was that if you're 34 now and thinking of applying for the guards that it's unlikely you'll ever get in. Obviously if you're on the panel, the age limit of 35 wouldn't apply and why would i be talking to you about the age limit anyway? - i don't know what age you are.

There really are some people on here with bad attitudes. You might have put on a nice front on the day of the interview and passed but you'll be found out in the guards with an attitude like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Infraction issued for above post. No further comment on this please

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cooranig23

I don't think it's worth waiting

I've been waiting since 2008

In any case I don't like the idea of working during the summer and weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

cooranig23 wrote: »

Stick to being a sub teacher so... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I'm absolutely at a loss what to say! Ags is obviously not the right choice for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Hate to say it but I've come to agree with you. I've been waiting since 2009 to join the gardaí. Gave up waiting last year and went back to college. I hope no one is putting their lives on hold in the hopes of recruitment starting and getting a place.

If it's meant to be, then it won't pass you :D
    best of luck to anyone who gets in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

Greece never stopped recruiting. But in fairness lot at whats happening there.

Management has a magic number in mind lets say for example 10000 total strength. Sooo at a guess i say end of 2014 before it starts and those new shoes wont hit the streets as full gardai for 2 years after.

Not good times for the gardai im afraid. Mind you if things took a turn like the riots in Greece they would recruit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Greece never stopped recruiting. But in fairness lot at whats happening there.

Management has a magic number in mind lets say for example 10000 total strength. Sooo at a guess i say end of 2014 before it starts and those new shoes wont hit the streets as full gardai for 2 years after.

Not good times for the gardai im afraid. Mind you if things took a turn like the riots in Greece they would recruit more.

You're spot on. The Government do have a magic number in mind, but it is 13,000 by 2014 (not 10K).

The magic number for end of 2012 is 13,350.

This is not a secret. It is all contained in the National Recovery Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Wondering if many people here have considered heading abroad for policing opportunities? I'm thinking of it myself, If AGS did begin recruiting again though I think I'd come back for it... Tough times folks, I suppose it's a time to improve skills/qualities that they'll look positively on.. Any good suggestions of what to do to get noticed/put yourself ahead of the competition? I'm doing a few first aid related courses, keeping up with sport etc.. Thinking of doing a bit of charity work/volunteering to help out too.. Any experience/thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

hey there djor88

I m in the same boat as you really..im finishing up in college this year with a degree and a diploma..

Ive first aid,ecdl,manualhandling,swiming all completed...

Im trying to get involved more with my community but finding it difficult

Whats your plan???:D

How's it going Canyon86, sounds good! I'm similar, I've done the ECDL, First Responder Training, have my degree and a bit of charity fundraising done... Whereabouts are you located? There's a good website for the Dublin area on volunteering, they email you with different opportunities, usually fundraising, community projects etc, but handy to get the info to your email you know...

http://www.volunteersouthdublin.ie/index.php/volunteers/register-to-volunteer

I finished my degree in 2010, and have been working sales jobs, telesales etc, whatever is out there, and really sick of it at this stage, but on the bright side I've really realised that a career in AGS is really what I want!

As for my plan, I'm gonna keep doing volunteering, keep fit, keep working on my CV.. I'm planning to move to Edinburgh in the summer for a bit to see how things work out over there, applying to Strathclyde Police (Glasgow region), they've said that I'm eligible even though I don't live there, might be worth looking in to if you're interested...

What about yourself? What's the plan? What degree/diploma will you have?

djor88 wrote: »
    How's it going Canyon86, sounds good! I'm similar, I've done the ECDL, First Responder Training, have my degree and a bit of charity fundraising done... Whereabouts are you located? There's a good website for the Dublin area on volunteering, they email you with different opportunities, usually fundraising, community projects etc, but handy to get the info to your email you know...

http://www.volunteersouthdublin.ie/index.php/volunteers/register-to-volunteer

I finished my degree in 2010, and have been working sales jobs, telesales etc, whatever is out there, and really sick of it at this stage, but on the bright side I've really realised that a career in AGS is really what I want!

As for my plan, I'm gonna keep doing volunteering, keep fit, keep working on my CV.. I'm planning to move to Edinburgh in the summer for a bit to see how things work out over there, applying to Strathclyde Police (Glasgow region), they've said that I'm eligible even though I don't live there, might be worth looking in to if you're interested...

What about yourself? What's the plan? What degree/diploma will you have?

Cool djor,At least your keeping yourself occupied which is very important.Id be the same as you.I do know the AGS is where I belong.

Very good,you d consider a move abroad.Would the three year resident rule not apply no? I was thinking of doing the same but this rule put me off!!

My plan is just to keep fit as possible and clean from convictions etc..Im just finishing a diploma in finance at the moment and my degree is also in the same.Id consider trying to get a job in finance if possible to keep me busy for a few years till recruitment opens..that could be 2020 at this stage..

What age are you by the way? im 22.. And im based in Limerick.I take it you are in Dublin yes?

Yeah same here, I actually phoned Strathclyde Police over the weekend, and a recruitment officer said that they are accepting applications from UK and Irish applicants who are living outside the UK, so he said I was eligible to apply, apparently they can make all the necessary checks, you should look it up and apply if you fancy it.

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/recruitment/

I'm 23, 24 this July so still young enough not to be panicking! :), Yeah, I'm Dublin. Have you considered the Garda Reserve? I'm due to have my medical in May, but looks like I'm moving abroad for work, things aren't great here at the moment!

djor,

jeez thats interesting news alrite..fair play to you..

are you going to apply? I nearly would myself!

Ya Ive applied for the reserve about a year and half ago and heard nothing back but I am from Cork so maybe a longer waiting list or something..tbh i havent even seen many reserves around cork as it is so maybe its a no go!

Id say they ll be a lot of us leaving Ireland by the looks of it mate! :(
    fairly grim on the jobs front lately!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Im in the GR myself and also feel AGS is were I belong. However apply for the Strathclyde police is on my mind if they are accepting Irish applicants. Im wondering should I leave such an opportunity to pass through my hands while waiting for AGS? I can always come back when AGS are recruiting again.

Just for everyone to know AGS is where I feel I belong and want to be. They just have different attitudes towards things here and I feel they are a great organization.

• Advertisement

Canyon86, I know 2 Reserves from Cork, both from Midleton, one based in Youghal the other is Cobh, both seemed to get in a lot quicker than me, you should look into it sure.. Saying that, both got in about 2 years ago so it may have slowed down since then...

Yeah I had filled the application out over the weekend and sent it off there, you need to scan in copies of your Passport and Irish Driving Licence, and put in the additional notes that you're applying from Ireland, give them your PPS number, stating that you can exchange it once you arrive in the UK. Have a think on it anyway. I've a few pals living in Edinburgh at the moment and they love it, been a few times and it's been great, seems to be alot more jobs over there in general.

Yeah, i've done my seriously unfair share of sales jobs, and sick of it at this stage!

Advertisement