Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting UPC - Will my router work?

• 22-04-2011 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Getting UPC installed next week (10 meg/fibre power). Don't fancy paying 50 euro for the router if I can avoid it, so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me whether my D-Link DIR-301 wireless router will work? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elazar55

Only if it's a cable router. DSL routers wont work. (unless it's both (hybrid))

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Don't you get a wired modem with 10mbit?
    You might be able to bridge it to a wireless one if you want wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

ya we have two laptops in the house so I'd like to have wireless for obvious reasons. I don't know if you get a wired modem, but I'm looking to get something that will provide wireless (and hopefully avoid the fifty euro fee!)

I set up a wireless network before with this router so hoping it won't be too big a job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That router will work. You just connect it to the modem with an Ethernet cable. If the supplied modem is also a router then put it in Bridge mode to disable it's routing features. Do all the routing in the wireless router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elazar55

If you want to go really cheap you could get a wired only router and have a laptop be used as a hotspot.

Advertisement