Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specifics Before Testing Rifles

Options
  • 22-04-2011 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    I plan to do a bench test of my Rem 700 SPS and the Howa 1500 in 223.

I want to keep things as scientific as possible and would like to hear your recommendations or suggestions. Please advise any specifics.

First, what mass round should I use as a test for both? Second, what mass would either enjoy shooting?

That is, I would like to feed both something neutral to check groups and then feed both their favorite, and check rounds.

Same scopes 3-9x40mm Fullfields. Same ammo - Hornady.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    Lads,
    I plan to do a bench test of my Rem 700 SPS and the Howa 1500 in 223.

I want to keep things as scientific as possible and would like to hear your recommendations or suggestions. Please advise any specifics.

First, what mass round should I use as a test for both? Second, what mass would either enjoy shooting?

That is, I would like to feed both something neutral to check groups and then feed both their favorite, and check rounds.

Same scopes 3-9x40mm Fullfields. Same ammo - Hornady.

Any suggestions?

The 1/12 SPS normally loves 55 grain

If I were you I'd check out those new 35 grain SuperFormance and do up a report for us Paddy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The 1/12 SPS normally loves 55 grain

If I were you I'd check out those new 35 grain SuperFormance and do up a report for us Paddy's

I'll order some up. I was going to go with the brown box Hornady, maybe I will switch to Superformance.

I just don't want to feed either something they hate and have someone later point out the inherent inaccuracy.

Also, I thought you would appreciate this
    Superformance%20Internet_7983.jpg:D

I'll order some up. I was going to go with the brown box Hornady, maybe I will switch to Superformance.

I just don't want to feed either something they hate and have someone later point out the inherent inaccuracy.

Also, I thought you would appreciate this
    Superformance%20Internet_7983.jpg:D

The 75grain Superformance are seriously accurate @ 100 yards (I've heard ;) )

The Hornady Superformance .308 SST's are a damn fine round too.

I don't know if those 35 grain rounds will work in my 1/8 .223 but I'd love to see would they.

I don't know if those 35 grain rounds will work in my 1/8 .223 but I'd love to see would they.

Tack,
    Given the price over here, I will put them on the list.

I guess you vote for a superformance test and not the brown box, correct?

What's the story with the TAP stuff? Where does that line up in the scheme of things?

Tack,
    Given the price over here, I will put them on the list.

I guess you vote for a superformance test and not the brown box, correct?

What's the story with the TAP stuff? Where does that line up in the scheme of things?

Accuracy wise,it's match accurate

Price wise, it's over priced as superformance is flatter shooting in same grain weight

I really need to get some ammo soon for the .223
    the Superformance flat traj really appeals to me

• Advertisement

Lads,
    A few PM's on the subject have lit a fire under me, so a few other questions for ye.

First, I can have identical ring, mount, and scope combinations, but the scopes will be 3-9x40mm. Burris Fullfield II's - picatinny rails, and xtr mounts. A bit small for the usual duty of the 223 of varmints.

Otherwise, one will have to get a 4-12x40mm (nikon prostaff) and the other a 6.5-20x50mm (Burris Fullfield II). Both with xtr rings and picatinny rails. I guess I could pick 10x mag as a happy medium.

I think I should use the smaller scopes to try make the two as similar as possible.

Also, so far -1 for both.

The 700 is making me unhappy. I have cycled some ammo through her and she is regularly very tight in closing the bolt. Game over until I check out the head spacing. Also, marks on the casing lead me to believe that the ramp or something needs a bit more finishing.

Not as concerning, but still a -1 for the Howa, is cycling as well. Load five in the mag, cycle one in and out, cycle #2 in and out, and out pops #3?

Yet again, problems with brand new rifles irks me. I have never had a problem with a 50, 75, or 100 year old war gun, out of a case, covered in cosmoline. But buy a new one, problems!

So far, both guns are at the $500 mark. Rings, scopes, and bases not considered.

+1 for the Howa - she appears to be free floated and passed the Euro test.
    -1 for the SPS - she failed the Euro test.
    barrel-freefloating.jpg
    Thanks to Tikka for the image!
    So if ye lads that PM'd me have any preferences, please advise. I will not be able to do the side by side comparison for probably a month. However, I will have the Howa out tomorrow at the range.

Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Lads,
    A few PM's on the subject have lit a fire under me, so a few other questions for ye.

First, I can have identical ring, mount, and scope combinations, but the scopes will be 3-9x40mm. Burris Fullfield II's - picatinny rails, and xtr mounts. A bit small for the usual duty of the 223 of varmints.

Otherwise, one will have to get a 4-12x40mm (nikon prostaff) and the other a 6.5-20x50mm (Burris Fullfield II). Both with xtr rings and picatinny rails. I guess I could pick 10x mag as a happy medium.

I think I should use the smaller scopes to try make the two as similar as possible.

Also, so far -1 for both.

The 700 is making me unhappy. I have cycled some ammo through her and she is regularly very tight in closing the bolt. Game over until I check out the head spacing. Also, marks on the casing lead me to believe that the ramp or something needs a bit more finishing.

Not as concerning, but still a -1 for the Howa, is cycling as well. Load five in the mag, cycle one in and out, cycle #2 in and out, and out pops #3?

Yet again, problems with brand new rifles irks me. I have never had a problem with a 50, 75, or 100 year old war gun, out of a case, covered in cosmoline. But buy a new one, problems!

So far, both guns are at the $500 mark. Rings, scopes, and bases not considered.

+1 for the Howa - she appears to be free floated and passed the Euro test.
    -1 for the SPS - she failed the Euro test.
    barrel-freefloating.jpg
    Thanks to Tikka for the image!
    So if ye lads that PM'd me have any preferences, please advise. I will not be able to do the side by side comparison for probably a month. However, I will have the Howa out tomorrow at the range.

Slan.
    I have a rifle dvd by darrell holland and he says that if you can pass a dollar bill between the barrel and stock your rifle may still not be floated enough.
    He says you should be able to slap the end of the forend with the palm of your hand against the barrel without the forend hitting the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

zeissman wrote: »
    I have a rifle dvd by darrell holland and he says that if you can pass a dollar bill between the barrel and stock your rifle may still not be floated enough.
    He says you should be able to slap the end of the forend with the palm of your hand against the barrel without the forend hitting the barrel.

That is a good point, I prefer to have a large gap between barrel and stock. Easier to to clean out sand and pine needles via an oily rag too.
    I think the old tradition of very tight stock barrel fit has led to many
    bad shots. Many rusty barrel undersides too.
    edi

Advertisement