Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much sand is.needed?

• 22-04-2011 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

i'm going to build a shed 16 x 16 and would like to know how much sand i need to put in a floor 4 inches deep?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Sand to make up concrete?

A few more details would help.
    Are you talking 16 x 16 feet or metres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Assuming its imperial 16 x 16 ft as you state 4 inches deep, I'll guess you need 4.75 Tonnes or 3.16 cubic yards.
    (There are lots of sand / gravel calculators on the net, check 'em out)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Handeman

@ Lurching I was talking of 16 feet x !6 feet

@RKQ Thanks for that I'll google sand/ gravel calculators

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dont use sand unless you have a concrete subfloor. If you dont have a conc subfloor, use washed gravel mixed 4 to 1 with cement, make sure the prepared base is well compacted, dont forget your membrane and A142!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Save yourself a lot of time and hassle use readymix, homemade concrete is rarely anywhere as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

aujopimur wrote: »
    Save yourself a lot of time and hassle use readymix, homemade concrete is rarely anywhere as good.

its only 3 meters ish hes pouring, i doubt anyone will deliver that, and if he gets it in the tubs thats 9 tubs which i hate using because the cement gets dragged to the top with the water when transporting tem and you have to try mix them with a shovel again!

A well mixed 4 to one, or even 3 to one mix is as good as any readymix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Handeman wrote: »

@RKQ Thanks for that I'll google sand/ gravel calculators

Thanks again

You are very welcome Handeman, glad to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

aujopimur wrote: »

Using the right clean materials and the correct amount of cement in a mixer the rsults can be as good.

The problem usually is that DIYers use pit gravel and not enough cement

Advertisement