Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else hate wasps?

2»

Comments

A wasp followed me up from the kitchen to my bedroom without me noticing until I thought "what IS that feeling on my arm" and looked, then he stung me and flew off
    bastard

I don't have many fears but wasps are one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Bees are useful and generally don't bother you if you leave them alone, wasps on the other hand can be aggressive and sting you for no reason.

Bees sting once and die as their sting rips their guts apart so they are hardly going to sting without a good reason. Wasps on the other hand can sting several times. I hate wasps and just killed one this morning by throwing my phone at it.

Wasps are attracted to alcohol and can give you a nasty sting in the mouth if they fall into a glass of wine, bees won't do that. :)

I don't care I shall still down my Bee-r,wasps or no wasps/Bees or no beers,I mean Bees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

People that kill bees should not eat honey. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bobos

What I hate about them is they way they are...

COMPLETELY SILENT*hover*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

hal9000 wrote: »
    hmm i think to really freak people out we need to create a spider-wasp!

or a mouse-wasp for the ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

there was a shop near me that always had loads of the dead bastards in the window. one day there was a buttered roll in the window full of the things with a little sign saying 'have your revenge, eat the wasps'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Bloke walks into a shop and says "I'd like a wasp please"

Shopkeeper says "Sorry, we don't sell wasps"

Bloke says "But you have one in the window" :pac:

I'm highly allergic to wasp and bee stings and was lucky not to be killed by one on the back of the neck a few years ago, but still don't hate them, they're just doing what they do and I will just have to use my bigger brain to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

one of them landed on my leg while I was blowing down the m50 on the oul vespa. just as I looked down and him and screamed you bastard! the little ****er stung me. the little ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Hate wasps, not to worried about bees.

Although one time I was with some friends in a Renault Clio, I was sitting in back, we were driving along happily until I heard a weird sound right behind me.

Looked over my shoulder and a bumble bee the size of a golf ball was trying to get out the rear window. He must have been in the car for a while.

I did nearly shít myself and we more or less drove off the road into a field and galloped out of the car.

Scary shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

coylemj wrote: »
    A wasp flew into my house yesterday but I got rid of it easily, I think at this time of year what you see are queen wasps. They hatch early, lay their eggs and then die. Their offspring are the ones that bother us in the later summer when we're having a BBQ - they are attracted to the smell of beer.

Death becomes of who touches my beer.;) Are they alco's??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

They don't bother me, I just keep away from them. Have been stung a few times, but only out in the garden as a kid, probably when I stood on one of them or something.

And they do have a function, they're predators that have long been used as natural bug killers.

I don't mind them, what I do mind is people who start screaming and acting mental when a poor innocent bee or wasp flies past (and these are not generally people with fatal sting allergies, just hysterical idiots).
    No they don't. :D I'm smiling at the thought of wasps flying around, stinging every random animal they come across, they only sting in self defence.
    Of course that idiotic human habit of thrashing about with arms flailing at the sight of a wasp, is an invitation to attack.

I was stung a little while ago, didn't even realise the little bugger was on my arm UNTIL he stung me so they do sting for absolutely no valid or apparent reason. If you have a fear of wasps the arm flailing and screaming is a knee-jerk reaction to the impending fear and can't be helped I'm afraid. Yes it's irrational and pointless but also unavoidable - I get very annoyed with anyone who tells me to calm down it's only a wasp - I don't enjoy my little freak out moment and will avoid looking like a loon at all costs but I just can't help it, my brain is telling my body to react in that way. I sweat profusely, my heart races and I panic it's not a nice experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Once I was in Kilcock, Kildare having a nice latte outside a café when this wasp flew directly into my line of vision. I quickly drew my clenched fist and punched it unintentionally towards a couple sitting a few tables down and the look of disgust and fear on their faces was priceless. Moral of the story, never give in or show fear to the airborne terrorists or they will treat you like a jar of honey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

At the Castle Palooza festival in 2008 I had never seen such an amount of wasps in my life, it was a nightmare trying to keep them away from my Jim Beam & coke can, most of the time three of them would be chasing that sweet scent. I dont mind wasps, but if they hang around and hover around me it freaks me out. One of the bands playing on the main stage early on Saturday afternoon, there was a scant audience in the front, the singer announced over the mike, " Is it my imagination or is there more wasps around here than people."

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Hate them... got stung once, never again. I lent one my car, was caught speeding outside mullingar and i got the fine and penalty points, little baxtard!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I was stung a little while ago, didn't even realise the little bugger was on my arm UNTIL he stung me so they do sting for absolutely no valid or apparent reason. If you have a fear of wasps the arm flailing and screaming is a knee-jerk reaction to the impending fear and can't be helped I'm afraid. Yes it's irrational and pointless but also unavoidable - I get very annoyed with anyone who tells me to calm down it's only a wasp - I don't enjoy my little freak out moment and will avoid looking like a loon at all costs but I just can't help it, my brain is telling my body to react in that way. I sweat profusely, my heart races and I panic it's not a nice experience.

Where did you get this fear from? Was there someone in the family who used to react the same way when you were younger perhaps? Just wondering.

Flailing around is more likely to end up getting you stung than any other behaviour of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wasps are EVIL! They are put on this earth to terrorise innocent human folk (ie. Me) and they hover in a way that is very unsettling (for me) - in short I HATE WASPS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

KUNTS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Where did you get this fear from? Was there someone in the family who used to react the same way when you were younger perhaps? Just wondering.

Flailing around is more likely to end up getting you stung than any other behaviour of course.

I'm the exact same - If I see one in the same room as me and I am unable to leave the room for whatever reason, I start panicking!! Hate them!!! I stepped on one of the little f**kers before - the PAIN!! Little s**t!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FaceKicker!!

Kick them in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭CommuterIE

I misread the thread title as 'Anyone else eat wasps?'

Dam it!!! I thought there was someone else!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

I dont mind bees, i dont like wasps but Giant Hornets scare the sh1te out of me.
    Glad we dont have these in ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Don't really mind them at all and I've been stung a fair few times.

It's the eejits that insist on running/dancing around a room freaking out because of a wasp that I hate more.

Ooh you are no longer my friend! :mad:

I AM that guy who freaks out. Have not been stung by a wasp since i was 9 but by god i can remember it. I would sooner be around a bear or gorilla than a wasp. I fantasise about killing their entire population

When a wasp comes into my vicinity my mind goes into freak out mode and my heart rate goes up but I just freeze up and stay completely still. I remember my Irish teacher used this as an excuse to have a go at me as I wasn't swatting it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I can't wait for July - August. When you're sitting in your room on your computer/whatever with your window wide open due to the horrible heat, when this spastic of a wasp flies in and dive bombs straight for you. Happened at least twice a day for me last year. I hate them, and run a mile when I see them due to fear of being stung. Always coming back with a can of lynx and the newspaper of course.

I think I'll just buy a net to cover me window with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

We are lucky in Ireland that we don't have any Hornets or Big Wasps like they have in the U.S or Japan which can kill people. I hat wasps and had to take counselling and therapy to avoid the "flapping" tha some people get annoyed with. Try getting annoyed with people in wheelchairs or the blind while you are at it......such phobias cannot be helped and need considerable help and effort to overcome, not to mention family support.

I remember a friend of mine getting stung by a nest of bees when we were both about 10 yrs old. He and another friend of mine were relatively good at sports and track and field etc..... I beat them by 10 yards on the race to get away from the bees and was never considered a good runner. In normal races I was not motivated to run fast enough but could do it that day. My legs and lungs ached for hours afterwards......but at least I wasn't stung.
    I can still remember the sound those bees made.

Another time my father found a wasps nest in the house so he rigged up a running vacuum cleaner at the entrance of the nest to catch them. He left it on all day catching as many wasps in the cleaner as he could then took it down the garden, took out the bag and sealed it up and soaked it in paraffin and lit it......
    He did the same with the nest, sealed it off in a bag, soaked it in paraffin and lit it. I was delighted to see the burning wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CelicaGT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Have no fear of them at all. Used to work for a recycling company which involved emptying can banks. They'd be full of wasps after the soft drinks and I didn't get stung once.

Maybe they can sense fear or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I was stung by a wasp last month.
    Inside the house.
    In the middle of winter.
    In the middle of night.
    While I was in bed.
    On my ass.

Someone work out the odds on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I was stung by a wasp last month.
    Inside the house.
    In the middle of winter.
    In the middle of night.
    While I was in bed.
    On my ass.

Someone work out the odds on that one

Sounds like the Winter Assbandito wasp.

Deadly breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They're like the northsiders of the insect world.

They live tightly packed together in high rise structures and enjioy buzzing; are distinguished by a hideously-coloured outer coat and stab anybody that comes too close to their female.

Advertisement