Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year visa:jobs

• 22-04-2011 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

hi guy

inerested in the 1 year usa visa

id like people to share wih me heir honest experiences of it?

is here many jobs going?
    getting the visa itself is all very well but if can ge a job whats the point?

furhermore are the jobs well paid?

know a lad whom wen on visa and couldn find work anbd is back in ireland a mo and considers he whole experience a waste

please share

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

bUMP .......... id be interested to hear of someones experience also.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

guess the lack of responses says it all unfortunately its not looking good.quite bleak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I came over on a summer J1 originally and spent 4 months looking for a job. I secured one in the last two weeks of my visa and came home to get the year long J1. It was difficult getting a job and it was only possible because I knew someone who worked there. I think it boils down to having contacts and what field of work you're in.

A lot of big companies have a lot of internships so temp jobs are available there but with other companies, they usually don't want to take someone on for a limited time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I came over on a summer J1 originally and spent 4 months looking for a job. I secured one in the last two weeks of my visa and came home to get the year long J1. It was difficult getting a job and it was only possible because I knew someone who worked there. I think it boils down to having contacts and what field of work you're in.

A lot of big companies have a lot of internships so temp jobs are available there but with other companies, they usually don't want to take someone on for a limited time.
    Thanks for the response lisa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I came out here on the 1 year visa also but I was in the slightly different position whereby I had a job arranged coming out. I'm currently on my second 1 year visa at this company and I was lucky enough to get offered a permanent position at a different company when this visa is up. So it opened a lot of opportunities for me and I've really liked it out here, I wouldn't have stayed if I didn't.

I knew a few people who came out on 1 year visa with no job arranged and got jobs fairly quickly. One of them is also applying for his H1 now too, as the company wanted to keep him on. Typically on the intern visa you won't get paid that much as you're an intern, most people are getting between $10 and $15 an hour (obviously that depends on your field also).

• Advertisement
Advertisement