Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let a room

Options
  • 22-04-2011 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all!
    Just wanted to ask, I am a single parent, working part time, also receiving reduced OPFP, but according to my income I am not entiteled to Rent supplement, My question is can I rent a room from my appartment, as my child is staying with me in my room, and another room I want to let to my babysitter ( it is a girl). Will I not loose my OPFP?
    Thank you very much for answers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do I have it right that you are renting a place with 3 bedrooms and you are renting out two of them? That rent is income to your landlord, not to you. I suspect it is only if you were getting rent allowance would it affect you.

Will other people want to share with adults + child?

I don't see any particular problem with this, but I'm not familiar with the details of OPFP. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BirthChildrenAndFamilies/OneParentFamilies/Pages/opfp.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 buckis

Thank you very much for reply. I am renting 2 bedroom appartament, I live with my small son, Iam not getting any Rent supplements because I am working and my income does not allow to apply for rent supplement, I have a babysitter, who is currently looking to rent a room, I decided I could let one of my two bedrooms to her, and I will stay with my son in the other, it is just he is still small, anyway he sleeps with me in the cot in my room. So, I was wondering will it be respected as additional income and my One parent family payment might be redused? actually I would not get money from that girl, she would pay me by babysitting my child, lets say, somehow like "Au Pair" .

Be careful to not turn it into something it isn't. Talk to social welfare and say you are getting someone to take the other room. Unless they ask questions, leave it at that.

Be careful you don't get into a cohabitation situation - its easier to fall into the trap than you think.

Moved from Accommodation & Property to State Benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

As far as I know its illegal for an adult to share a room with a child. Is it not a legal requirement that children should have their own sleeping space?

I have a friend who has a boy and girl and has to rent a place which caters for 2 seperate rooms as it would be wrong for a little boy and girl to share the same room.

I think its even more unhealthy for an adult to share a room with a child. Even if its your own child, i think its only best that they have their own place.

Also you usually cannot sublet an appartment if it does not belong to you.

Are you really taking your child into consideration?

Can you not find a "free" baby sitter like a relative or other child care centre in the area? There are plenty of "free" childcare centres to help parents work. If you cannot afford your own place, how can you afford to pay a private baby sitter? Also its abit close to home to have an employer living with you? Im sure professional Au Pairs have requirements when living with families such as security checks etc.

What sort of Adult female over the age of 18 is going to live with a male/female (you didnt spacify your sex) for free and not get paid? They will need some money to live.

This situation just doesnt seem like a typical one? Lots of questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

As far as I know its illegal for an adult to share a room with a child. Is it not a legal requirement that children should have their own sleeping space?

I have a friend who has a boy and girl and has to rent a place which caters for 2 seperate rooms as it would be wrong for a little boy and girl to share the same room.

I think its even more unhealthy for an adult to share a room with a child. Even if its your own child, i think its only best that they have their own place.

Also you usually cannot sublet an appartment if it does not belong to you.

Are you really taking your child into consideration?

Can you not find a "free" baby sitter like a relative or other child care centre in the area? There are plenty of "free" childcare centres to help parents work. If you cannot afford your own place, how can you afford to pay a private baby sitter? Also its abit close to home to have an employer living with you? Im sure professional Au Pairs have requirements when living with families such as security checks etc.

What sort of Adult female over the age of 18 is going to live with a male/female (you didnt spacify your sex) for free and not get paid? They will need some money to live.

This situation just doesnt seem like a typical one? Lots of questions?

The child requiring their own sleeping space would depend greatly on the age of the child. There are many forums of parenting that have children sharing sleep space with their parents(known as a co-sleeping) for a number of years (up to 6 is the average while in a lot of none western homes 10 is more common). Same goes for siblings of different genders, it's only from a certain age (in the uk its 12 and that's only for council housing there is no law for private rental) that they cannot share.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 buckis

Firstly, Thank you very much for all replies. The best thing for me is to speak to Social welfare Inspektor and clear the situation, if he says not, then Not.
    Just a few explanations. My child is a bit more than one year old, he is sleeping in my room because I breasfeed him still, and I am ready to do that till he is two. A girl as a babysitter is working by me already 6 month and currently she is looking to rent a room, anyway she stays in my home during the day while I am working, and she would not work for free, she would pay rent by babysitting my child, it does not meen it is free.
    Also,if somebody knows a free babysitter or child carer for a child aged over one year old I will be just HAPPY to know about such one, because my income does not allow me to leave my child in a creche.
    Thank you very much again

It struck me that you need to create a demarkation between the child minding and the accommodation. What if circumstances change and you work fulltime, needing a full-time minder? Perhaps if you set a nominal rent (€X hundred per month) and a nominal rate for the childminding (€Y per hour).

Advertisement