Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants

• 22-04-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Unsure where to post this actually,
    Would do Uni or College but dont want to pick a specific one in case someone in another knows more...
    Anyywayyy,
    What grants are out there lads, can you tell me...
    1. There's the standard grant alright,
    2. And I'm sure there's a travel grant (although amount has been changed recently or the distance needed to be away from the college.. :/ )
    3. And I think you get one for living in a disadvantaged area or something...
    4. Also believe there's one for living in certain areas of Dublin e.g. Dublin 4
    5. Also might be one depending on how much you're parents earn but then again that might just contribute towards the amount you get in a standard grant :/

Got some of these from studentfinance.ie before you advise me to go there and check :P
    Any cool secret grants now :D

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

1. There's the standard grant alright,
    2. And I'm sure there's a travel grant (although amount has been changed recently or the distance needed to be away from the college.. :/ )
    3. And I think you get one for living in a disadvantaged area or something...
    5. Also might be one depending on how much you're parents earn but then again that might just contribute towards the amount you get in a standard grant :/

There's no 'travel grant', but the 'standard' grant amount depends on how far away from home your college is, i.e. if you're less than or more than 45km.

I can't imagine anyone being awarded a grant for being from Dublin 4 :pac: but I'm open to correction.

And the standard grant depends on your parents income (if you're being supported by your parents, i.e. 'ordinarily resident with your parents from October 1 of the year preceding the year of entry'.

The income bands are here, as is most of the information you need.

Some colleges also award scholarships for academic achievement and sports scholarships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Quick question about the grant,

let's say I get a €2500 grant for next year in uniersity.

Is that €2500 & I don't pay the registration fee.
    OR
    Is it €2500-€2000 for the registration fee leaving basically only €500 of a grant!

If it's the second option what's the point in handing you €2500 just to take €2000 back?

If you qualify for the student maintenance grant you qualify to have your reg fee covered. The grant amounts start at a level where you just get the reg fee covered, and then go up from there.

P.S. If you follow the options at the bottom of this page and the pages that follow it, you'll get a table of the possible grant levels you could get. You'll see that student services charge is applicable to all the grants. (or most, I only know what I see when I put in my replies to the options)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Thanks man,
    So basically the €6,355 full grant is around €8,355 of a difference between a person who doesn't get a grant ?
    Ha, that's a lot of money over a four year degree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Thanks man,
    So basically the €6,355 full grant is around €8,355 of a difference between a person who doesn't get a grant ?
    Ha, that's a lot of money over a four year degree!

Yes, appreciate it while you have it!!

the college will have a subsistance fund for disadvantaged students if they're struggling but you really have to prove this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

O_O

Whut?

Advertisement