Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financial Aid for a Masters???

Options
  • 22-04-2011 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I'm not normally a poster here, but someone in another forum suggested I ask here for any advice.Mods feel free to move if there's a better place elsewhere.

Ok, so I'm a civil engineer, and like many in my profession, am unemployed for a while now. It's becoming quite clear I need to do a Masters, so I have my eye on 2 or 3 in UCD and DCU

My question however is this. I have a mortgage. I do have a lump sum to pay for the Masters fee, but once I go back to college, especially full time, I am no longer entitled to any SW. So essentially I will be without any form of income, and no savings to pay my bills. My OH will cover what he can, but I was wondering is there any form of grant or aid out there that might be able to help me through? Is there anything I can qualify for?

I know there a number of Gov funded Education programmes out there, but honestly, I've looked at what most of them are offering and I don't think they have courses that will be of any benefit to me. They seem to be mainly targeted for people who have certs/dips or no qualifications at all.I have a degree, and experience. Which is why I think the Masters is probably my best option. I don't want to waste another year, but at the same time, I'm not sure how the money side of it will work for me.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Did you try applying to your local council? If you're on social welfare then your income level shouldn't be a problem to receive a grant for a postgrad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

No...I wasn't aware I could. I've done a bit of research, and find it very hard to find info on anything. I don't expect it to be funded for me, that's asking a bit much, but any little bit would help.Especially since my JSB is up in July, so I'll have absolutely nothing come September.

When you say local council...do you mean county council?? How do I go about doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

dan_d wrote: »
    No...I wasn't aware I could. I've done a bit of research, and find it very hard to find info on anything. I don't expect it to be funded for me, that's asking a bit much, but any little bit would help.Especially since my JSB is up in July, so I'll have absolutely nothing come September.

When you say local council...do you mean county council?? How do I go about doing that?

Yes - The student grant system is available to masters students - They pay fees upto 6000 and give you maintenance as well although its means tested

You will find info at www.studentfinance.ie - The application forms should be released in the next couple of weeks so if you are going to apply try and get as much documentation as possible ready now - have a look at last years form

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 j87

Yeah the local authority grants are a lifesaver, I would never have been able to afford to do my masters without it, the only thing I would say is get on it very quickly because the process takes a very long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

That's so helpful everyone, you've no idea how much I appreciate it.Thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement