Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday and no meat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

mossyc123 wrote: »
    This thread isn't in the Christianity or A&A forum though.

Which is why it's still going - nobody to stand up for the crybabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

stimpson wrote: »
    Which is why it's still going - nobody to stand up for the crybabies.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

krudler wrote: »
    I got myself banned from there :D (my request) couldnt be bothered with the place anymore.

Too cool for Sunday School :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

Now, that's the official definition in Merriam webster...I guess that a well respected definition isn't proper because you don't want it to be either?

You just don't want classifications to be precise so you feel secure in your belief that you are a member of the one true religion, when given you believe in exactly one more god than me, and there are hundreds of religions and gods, how can you be sure of yours?

(P.S. Fry up on, but that was planned before I realised it was good friday.)

I know exactly where that definition came from. It's one of the first results in a google search. I'm hardly expected to take somebody seriously that uses the first thing they find on google to try win their argument.

You assume that I'm religious. Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not in the slightest. Not that it's even relevant to any of the points I've made.

Your incorrect thinking that I'm religious and that I'm here standing up for religion shows that you are as close minded as many so called atheist independent thinkers. You're not arguing on the merits or otherwise of religion you're simply intent on attacking religious people. Not all non-religious people such as myself are as threatened and insecure in our beliefs as many of the people here seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Mmmmm sheep.

Did someone mention sheep? How about goats? Wait even better still, how about cowboy monkeys rounding up goats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You should check out the Christianity forum sometime. The mods there are nearly as fundamentalist as the ones in Cycling.

I've very little interest in religion, Christian or otherwise, so no thanks. For much the same reason, I also never visit the Atheism & Agnosticism forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mconigol wrote: »
    I know exactly where that definition came from. It's one of the first results in a google search. I'm hardly expected to take somebody seriously that uses the first thing they find on google to try win their argument.

You assume that I'm religious. Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not in the slightest. Not that it's even relevant to any of the points I've made.

Thats just baffling logic, even when its the correct definition because its the first one thats found (because google knows it the correct one) its not good enough? what do YOU define a cult as then? dazzle us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

not eating meat on friday is a burdon put onto the people by the church as a penance,it was not much of a problem in the early days because people could not afford meat anyway,jesus never expected people not to eat meat on good friday, its one of the many things why other christian churches accuse the catholics and the catholic church of not reading the bible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I shall eat the largest steak I can find in honour of "our lord".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

The auld one made us all eat fish. Like fish anyway so meh.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Thats just baffling logic, even when its the correct definition because its the first one thats found (because google knows it the correct one) its not good enough? what do YOU define a cult as then? dazzle us.

Here's the definition of religion from the same source:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/religion?show=0&t=1303486327

If religion=cult why do they have different definitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

From what I can see, the only people in this thread who are right are the people who don't try and force their ideals on others and who rub others noses in their own self beliefs, regardless of what they are.

If I eat meat today it's my own choice, if I also choose not to eat it, that is also my decision. To think that someone should tell me what I can and cannot do and judge me based on my decision says far more about them than it does about me.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    The auld one made us all eat fish. Like fish anyway so meh.

Fish is considered meat. Tell your mother she is a tool. You are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

its very much in what you want to believe,in the early days of the new-state the catholic church tried to get the goverment to down grade the church of ireland to a cult,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Meh i just ate a turkey and a chicken in 1 sandwich,... am i going to hell now?

Vicxas wrote: »

Depends on if your a Christian or not...If you are then yes!

Also if your not a Christian then you'll be going to hell for that too! :pac:

No question about it. Could be worse, you could have been sent to Athlone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

My God only sends religious people to hell, so it's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    From what I can see, the only people in this thread who are right are the people who don't try and force their ideals on others and who rub others noses in their own self beliefs, regardless of what they are.

If I eat meat today it's my own choice, if I also choose not to eat it, that is also my decision. To think that someone should tell me what I can and cannot do and judge me based on my decision says far more about them than it does about me.

How dare you tell me that I cant force my ideals on others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

How dare you tell me that I cant force my ideals on others?

Not to worry, recognition followed by acceptance means you are starting your lengthy but ultimately fulfilling road to recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I made myself a steak and rice thai curry.

It was delicious.
    Then I felt sick after eating so much of it. Fecking karma.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Lockstep wrote: »

It was delicious.

Did you have to be so specific about it being a thai curry, it was begging for a bad Korma joke. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

For the same reason "human" and "person" have different definitions maybe.

I don't eat meat anyway so it's not an issue for me. Although back when i did, I don't think I ever went "out of my way" to do it. I just did.

If you're avoiding meat to stick it to The Church then you should ask yourself whether or not it will actually have any effect. I don't think doing something that you would do anyway is really going to have an impact but if you're going to make an issue of it and speak about it publicly, using it as a starting point for the wider issue of the Vatican issuing orders to its adherents without any reasoning at all, then I think you have a case. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting people to question what they're being sold by the organisation they support and do it myself with religious people and others.

It's my belief that if you disagree with a rule you are expected to follow you should not only break it but publicly question it. The thing I dislike about Catholics and other religious people following these rules because of tradition or because that's what they're told is that it can be very dangerous when used for other purposes. It might seem unlikely to people that they would ever kill another person over a disagreement on faith but it's a lot more likely if you've been accustomed to it your whole life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Anyone getting their sausage chewed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Lockstep wrote: »

It was delicious.

possible food poisoning. imagine a night in A&E :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

had me a Dubble Sausage & Egg Muffin in Mickey Ds this morning, tasted twice as good because "the man" didnt want me to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

HAHA! STICK IT TO THE RELIGIOUS MAN!

Way to protest my atheist brosefs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I had a chinese chicken thing. Decided I was going to make the sauce myself cause the ready made stuff I have has 30 grams of sugar per 100 grams sauce. So I figured I'd just copy the ingredients on the back and leave out the sugar. Turns out it's the inhuman amount of sugar that makes it taste nice. Had to dump half of it in the bin. It was inedible.

So I went for the old classic chicken thai curry. Was yummy.

If Catholics receive communion today... how's that work? Bit of a catch-22. That sneaky old Jesus. He troll you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

I always observe Good Friday but for selfish reasons. I rarely eat anything other than meat so by observing Good Friday's no meat policy I usually end up eating some lovely fish and go on a fish eating binge over the following few weeks. Had a delicious walnut, apple and prawn salad for lunch will shoot for lobster or crab at dinnertime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

hondasam wrote: »
    I Don't over think it like you do. why do people who are not religious go to funeral's, weddings etc ?
    So if someone is a different religion to you, you can't go to their wedding or funeral!? Crap, I know hardly anyone with the same religion as me, limits the number of shindigs I can go to! :eek:

I did not eat any meat today- just cereal for breakfast and fish for dinner. But it was actually a coincidence as opposed to being religion related. :pac:

Advertisement