Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday and no meat.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

For the same reason "human" and "person" have different definitions maybe.

I don't eat meat anyway so it's not an issue for me. Although back when i did, I don't think I ever went "out of my way" to do it. I just did.

If you're avoiding meat to stick it to The Church then you should ask yourself whether or not it will actually have any effect. I don't think doing something that you would do anyway is really going to have an impact but if you're going to make an issue of it and speak about it publicly, using it as a starting point for the wider issue of the Vatican issuing orders to its adherents without any reasoning at all, then I think you have a case. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting people to question what they're being sold by the organisation they support and do it myself with religious people and others.

It's my belief that if you disagree with a rule you are expected to follow you should not only break it but publicly question it. The thing I dislike about Catholics and other religious people following these rules because of tradition or because that's what they're told is that it can be very dangerous when used for other purposes. It might seem unlikely to people that they would ever kill another person over a disagreement on faith but it's a lot more likely if you've been accustomed to it your whole life.
    once you start to question you will end up with,i cannot believe it,victor meldrew syndrome, a gift to christians from constantine,keeping of the trinity=the holyday of the trinity sun god in trinity,holy water dripping tallow in water symbolizes the pregnation of astare ie reincarnation off baal. mary is called the eternal virgin, a tital of astarte. R C holy days ,on the holy days of tammus and astarte,sunday worship,came from the sun god,early christians co-opted aspects of sunday worship apposed to the jewish sabath,the statue of st peter is actualy the statue of jupiter from the parthenon,the 8 pointed star above the vatican window of the pope,is the star of ishtar=[astarte] crosses were used as symbols of constantines sun god ,he even marked the cross sign of his sun god on his forehead, roman vestal virgins had the cross hanging on a neckless,so eating a little bit of meat on good friday is not going to make much of a difference to heaven and hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Posy wrote: »
    So if someone is a different religion to you, you can't go to their wedding or funeral!? Crap, I know hardly anyone with the same religion as me, limits the number of shindigs I can go to! :eek:

I did not eat any meat today- just cereal for breakfast and fish for dinner. But it was actually a coincidence as opposed to being religion related. :pac:

I think the question was about the Catholic Religion, people who are not religious but will go to mass for weddings and funerals etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

hondasam wrote: »
    I think the question was about the Catholic Religion, people who are not religious but will go to mass for weddings and funerals etc.
    So if they're not religious, they're not supposed to go to Catholic weddings, funerals etc? :confused:

So if they're not religious, they're not supposed to go to Catholic weddings, funerals etc? :confused:

I do my own thing and I'm not really bothered what anyone else thinks or does. I never said they should not go to mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

getz wrote: »
    once you start to question you will end up with,i cannot believe it,victor meldrew syndrome, a gift to christians from constantine,keeping of the trinity=the holyday of the trinity sun god in trinity,holy water dripping tallow in water symbolizes the pregnation of astare ie reincarnation off baal. mary is called the eternal virgin, a tital of astarte. R C holy days ,on the holy days of tammus and astarte,sunday worship,came from the sun god,early christians co-opted aspects of sunday worship apposed to the jewish sabath,the statue of st peter is actualy the statue of jupiter from the parthenon,the 8 pointed star above the vatican window of the pope,is the star of ishtar=[astarte] crosses were used as symbols of constantines sun god ,he even marked the cross sign of his sun god on his forehead, roman vestal virgins had the cross hanging on a neckless,so eating a little bit of meat on good friday is not going to make much of a difference to heaven and hell

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

whiteonion wrote: »
    What is the reason not to consume meat on Good Friday? Meat is a very healthy source of food.
    it's just another stupid catholic church ancient rule most people dont observe anymore only the brain washed die hards keep it up:p

there was a time here in good ol land of saints and scholers that you couldent eat meat on a friday only fish and that was every friday and you couldent eat after 6pm on a saturday as you had to go to mass on a sunday and have communion and you couldent eat for a few hours after the communion either what a load of ol bull**** thank fcuk the church dont rule anymore like they did then :eek::eek::eek:

krudler wrote: »
    This basically, if you're gonna eat meat then do, no need to make a song and dance about it.
    I dont think it should be a day where drink cant be sold but it doesnt mean I go to the offie the night before and buy a slab of beer as a way of sticking it to the man, if it was a regular friday the same people who make such a big deal about drinking probably wouldnt have gone near a pub or opened a beer regardless, but once people are told they cant do something everyone feels they must. Its such a schoolchild mentality.
    it's not a schoolchild mentality it's psychological people allways want to do the opposite of what they are told but your right in what you say if people want to drink well go ahead but they dont have to rub peoples noses in the fact O look at me im having a drink and eating meat on a good friday nobody gives a fok who does or who dosent:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

had me a Dubble Sausage & Egg Muffin in Mickey Ds this morning, tasted twice as good because "the man" didnt want me to
    What "man"? :confused:

I ate meat yesterday (didn't think about it, just ate it) and nobody batted an eyelid. It's more likely to be picked up on nowadays if you DON'T eat meat on good Friday rather than if you do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

because it's pretty greasy to be invited to the funeral of someone by their family and tell them to go fukk themselves...

...did you genuinely need to ask that question? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

yawha wrote: »
    What age are you that you're still being told what to do by your mammy?

I wasn't aware that many people observed the no meat thing anymore, let alone expect it of their families...

it used to be every friday (no meat)

strobe wrote: »
    because it's pretty greasy to be invited to the funeral of someone by their family and tell them to go fukk themselves...

...did you genuinely need to ask that question? :confused:

I have never been invited to a funeral.

I did not ask the question.

I have never seen so many :confused: people.

like I said I Don't care what anyone does. let and let live is my motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

it's not a schoolchild mentality it's psychological people allways want to do the opposite of what they are told but your right in what you say if people want to drink well go ahead but they dont have to rub peoples noses in the fact O look at me im having a drink and eating meat on a good friday nobody gives a fok who does or who dosent:eek:

I can tell you, I had a BBQ yesterday, yeah there was a load of beers going too. We didn't do it because we were told we shouldn't. Most of us had the long weekend off, the weather was great (for the start at least). Yeah, there may have been a "Ha, Drinking on Good Friday, I'm awesome" joke, but it wasn't my sole reason for buying meat. I often buy food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

like I said I Don't care what anyone does. let and let live is my motto.

Mine is 'Thunder thunder thunder cats!'.

Dam i had a meatball sub in Eddie rockets about 1am last night, Full fry up for brekkie and a steak sub for lunch.. now going to a BBQ for more meat and some beers..

whats this good friday you speak of??
    who give a flying fcuk what you do or had dont be doin the big fella bosting about it :p

You were not supposed to eat meat ANY Friday years ago, according to the catholic church. But you can now, just not Good Friday.
    So did the people who ate meat on Fridays years ago and went to hell for it get released from hell and let into heaven when the new law was passed? :confused:
    well that just goes to show the hypocricey of the church and the crap they preachesed about hell fire and brimstone a well im outa here now the sun is shining out there time to cut the grass and be at one with the nature spirits...

mconigol wrote: »
    Gotta love all the righteous non-conformists on here :rolleyes:

So, the OP doesn't want to insult his religious mother, who raised and looked after him by, by eating a few rashers and he's apparently some pathetic looser who can't stand up for himself??

I can kind of understand why everyone seems to get their knickers in a knot about not being able to have a pint or two but it's not illegal to eat meat. It's a completely religious thing for members of that religion so why do you all feel that you're getting one up on something - unless you're all still technically roman catholics??!

I'll not be having meat today and I will be going to the church as I did last night. I'm a non-believer and even though I will hate every second of it my family are religious and since I'm staying with them this week I will go for their sake.

The same way as I would attend somebodies wedding or christening....but I suppose all the courageous souls on here refuse to attend either of those two ceremonies as a matter of principle too???
    then your a hypocrite my sister and husbend are religious and go to mass an all that but when i visit them down the country i dont go they know my feelings on religion...

How come we can't buy drink on good Friday but we're allowed buy meat?
    yea a load of sh1t isint it ya can buy your drink the nite before if ya want do but i know what ya mean no pubs or offos open stupid really one time the parish priest used to go around peoples houses on good fridays to see if anyone was drinking or eating meat and if ya were he would read it from the pulpit at sunday mass mr's jones and her husbend were eating meat meat i say on a holy good friday and and that not being bad enough guzzeling bottles of guinness i say to you brethern they will burn in hell for all eternaity brethern i say to you you must not associate with these sinners cast them out for they are the devils flock and this did happen :eek::eek::eek::(:(:(

mconigol wrote: »
    Have you been to a:
    Wedding
    Christening
    First holy communion
    Confirmation

lately??

Religion is not what's keeping this country in the dark ages.

Allowing religious organisations to run the show is, that's why there should be a complete separation of church and state.

I'm not going along with it for "the sake of it". I'm going along with it out of respect to my family and their beliefs.
    i dont go to weddings christenings or anything else like that if im invited i will go to the afters i will show respect at a funeral though i just hate all the sanctamonious preaching from the priest when im at a funeral :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

You were not supposed to eat meat ANY Friday years ago, according to the catholic church. But you can now, just not Good Friday.
    So did the people who ate meat on Fridays years ago and went to hell for it get released from hell and let into heaven when the new law was passed? :confused:

that new law.....that was the Good ,Good Friday agreement right....?

• Advertisement

niallers1 wrote: »
    I had lovely black pudding with egg,beans, sausage, rasher and hash brown this morning washed down with a lovely mug of tea.

Hmmmm, rashers.....

It was definetly a Good Fry day..
    fannnnnnntastic you'll get a congretaniol medal of honour for letting us all know you did all that did ya do it all by yourself waheeeeey sure your great iv got a hard on now:eek:

i hope my brother comes on and posts. he wasa in work a few years ago on good friday anf wanted a fry in the canteen but the old woman woudnt serve him meat, in the end she had to
    what would ya expect from an ol wan:eek:

religion is free choice, If you Don't like it fine but Don't say anyone that does is stupid. I would not consider myself religious but I do pray every night before I go to sleep. If that makes me stupid so be it.
    so do i and im not religious i just do my own thing i actually practice buddisim as i like the medatataion and the peacefulness of it all and nothing is forced on you...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

fannnnnnntastic you'll get a congretaniol medal of honour for letting us all know you did all that did ya do it all by yourself waheeeeey sure your great iv got a hard on now:eek:
    i dont go to weddings christenings or anything else like that if im invited i will go to the afters i will show respect at a funeral though i just hate all the sanctamonious preaching from the priest when im at a funeral :(
    yea a load of sh1t isint it ya can buy your drink the nite before if ya want do but i know what ya mean no pubs or offos open stupid really one time the parish priest used to go around peoples houses on good fridays to see if anyone was drinking or eating meat and if ya were he would read it from the pulpit at sunday mass mr's jones and her husbend were eating meat meat i say on a holy good friday and and that not being bad enough guzzeling bottles of guinness i say to you brethern they will burn in hell for all eternaity brethern i say to you you must not associate with these sinners cast them out for they are the devils flock and this did happen :eek::eek::eek::(:(:(
    then your a hypocrite my sister and husbend are religious and go to mass an all that but when i visit them down the country i dont go they know my feelings on religion...
    well that just goes to show the hypocricey of the church and the crap they preachesed about hell fire and brimstone a well im outa here now the sun is shining out there time to cut the grass and be at one with the nature spirits...
    who give a flying fcuk what you do or had dont be doin the big fella bosting about it :p

Please learn to multiquote. It's the one with red shading. You click it on each of the posts you want to quote from then click on "post reply" at the bottom of the thread.

b7an9z.png

krudler wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian but eat steak all the time, and I'm not gay but love a bit of cock on weekends.

see how stupid that sounds?
    me too :D:D:D:D:D:D

well time to cut the grass now and reflect on my sins from eating meat yesterday:eek: i wont go to hell will i I mean if i did id escape id out smart that devil guy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

well time to cut the grass now and reflect on my sins from eating meat yesterday:eek: i wont go to hell will i I mean if i did id escape id out smart that devil guy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best leave it until tomorrow, think you've had enough sun for today.

Advertisement