Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl generator

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yorky wrote: »
    Lidl will have generators on sale this week http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/index_8954.htm

Would it be suitable as a back-up power supply for a house with four people and electric hob and oven?

Thanks in advance.

Not really a consumer issue.

It's only 2.8kWs it'll struggle to boil a kettle. It would do for lighting and TV and keep the fridge going, but not all at the same time.

For a Hob or oven you're talking about a serious diesel generator in the thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

2.8kW should be enough for a single heater on your hob. Not sure what the oven would heat. I think many cookers are 6kW and this could be with the full cooker and all hobs on at once. George foremans would usually be 0.75-1.5kW. Electric woks are usually 1.5kW.

The generator says it has 2 sockets, your oven will be hard wired into your house, it is not like you can just unplug it and connect to a generator easily. Same for lights etc. You would need a low power george foreman and a lower power travel kettle or a plug in hot plate. And extra long extension leads powering CFL bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Home & Garden > Electrical

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The key thing here is the noise level: unless u are in the middle of nowhere the noise will wake the dead when u have it on at night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

99db humming away quite loudly for hours on end is very very annoying.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Would it be strong enough to run an angle grinder or an electrical drill?

Reason i ask is i there is an old milking parlour on my Dad's farm that im gonna cut out the steel but have no electrical supply nearby so maybe the Lidl generator would do the trick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

AG will be rated either 2000w or maybe 2300 and this is rated at 2800 max so it may cut out occasionally due to overloading.

u would rent a decent one for that mula

Carlow52 wrote: »
    AG will be rated either 2000w or maybe 2300 and this is rated at 2800 max so it may cut out occasionally due to overloading.

u would rent a decent one for that mula

So stay clear of it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

STIG83 wrote: »
    So stay clear of it then?

Should be fine for a drill or grinder, a drill that overloads a 2kw generator will be drilling for oil.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Should be fine for a drill or grinder, a drill that overloads a 2kw generator will be drilling for oil.

Cheers for the info,
    Do you know what is the 4 stroke petrol about? like a chainsaw that you need a mix through the petrol?
    Last year i was helping my brother hang a gate so had to borrow the neighbour's genny to drill into the wall for the gate brackets, it will be handy for things like that around the farm.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info,
    Do you know what is the 4 stroke petrol about? like a chainsaw that you need a mix through the petrol?
    Last year i was helping my brother hang a gate so had to borrow the neighbour's genny to drill into the wall for the gate brackets, it will be handy for things like that around the farm.

4 stroke means the engine has inlet and exhaust valves and so the spark plug only ignites every 4 strokes and the exhaust is released every other 4. The oil would normally be in a seperate reservoir for a 4 stroke engine.

Engines like the chainsaw ones where you mix the oil in are 2 stroke ones.

4 stroke means the engine has inlet and exhaust valves and so the spark plug only ignites every 4 strokes and the exhaust is released every other 4. The oil would normally be in a seperate reservoir for a 4 stroke engine.

Engines like the chainsaw ones where you mix the oil in are 2 stroke ones.
    Like a push lawnmower then? one tank for petrol and another for oil?

Like a push lawnmower then? one tank for petrol and another for oil?

Yes it would be like that if its 4 stroke.

Yes it would be like that if its 4 stroke.
    Thanks Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I purchased one of these when I was starting to build my house and it was a great job.

I used it for grinders, drills, lights and it even boiled the kettle as well for the tea breaks.

I used it every day nearly for about 10 months and it never left me down. I still use it on occasion and I have it hooked up to the house as a backup as well and have used it twice in that case since I moved in about 8 months ago..

Mike.

paddy147 wrote: »
    99db humming away quite loudly for hours on end is very very annoying.:mad:

I know, thats why im single again:D

Advertisement