Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imposters in the library

Options
  • 22-04-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of the library being full up of leaving certificates and people from OTHER colleges taking up space this time of the year :mad:

Complaints have been made to security and they just fob people off!

What can be done about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

It's mad really that we don't have a swipe card system of entering the library like most other universities/colleges. You would think it would be relatively simple to install given there is one one entrance/exit to the building.

That useless sign that appears from time to time about having to display student ID when requested is the biggest waste of time. Five years here and never once asked for ID whilst entering the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Well people are allowed to get books from other colleges if they are doing a phd etc....... everyone who is there can obviously get books out, otherwise why the fcuk would they waste their time????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

person sitting beside me with a LC history book says it all really....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

You're nearly better off going to a quiet corner in a computer lab, should be no trouble because leaving cert students can't log in. I am annoyed by what's going on in the library, very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

go for the shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Library in general is touching the disgrace threshold imo.

- Can't use printing facilities 4pm Sat til 8am Mon
    - Resources in general are shocking; they intend on introducing a tax masters soon as far as I'm aware -> there is literally one shelf of books on tax subjects and most of them are wholly out of date.
    - The non existent quietness policy
    - the fact anybody can come in there taking up spaces and resources that should be for UL students.

Another thing that annoys me; service desk closed yesterday @ 5pm til 9am the following Tuesday... Which means no short loans for the guts of 5 days. Which is shocking giving the time of year it is. Secular society my arse, the smell of Civil Service off the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The sign usually says "Show ID to secuity"....note the spelling...hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I wonder what is their job description?

Ensuring only UL ID holders access the Library? -> Don't do it.
    Ensuring that the Library remains silent? -> Don't do it.
    Ensuring no one robs books? -> Don't do it based on the amount of missing ones.

What the fuck do they do?

Cause I can't figure it out.

the short loans thing is really really pissing me off.....week and a half before the exams and no access...what a load of b******s

freyners wrote: »
    the short loans thing is really really pissing me off.....week and a half before the exams and no access...what a load of b******s

Well you could buy the books you need? It's not the library's responsibility to make sure you pass your exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

omen80 wrote: »
    Well you could buy the books you need? It's not the library's responsibility to make sure you pass your exams.
    Thtas not the point. The service is there for students but it cannot be availed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I've only seen security do anything there once.

Once was when one of the librarians was helping me with the scanner,both of us speaking in a hush tone as the machine wasn't working.He came over telling us to stop making so much noise and continue the conversation outside.This was at 9pm,the library very empty and we explained what was happening but he took none of it.The security man and the librarian didnt even know each other wtf :confused:

So if they're being paid however much to tell people to be quite then why are they here in the first place ><.DOnt get me wrong I know these lcs students want to do well or may not have the place at home,but feck off will ye we have our own education to worry about :mad:

while i would love to be in the fortunate position you seem to be in being able to splash out 200/300 per semester on books...i already barely cover my reg fee/rent as it is so splashing out isn't an option. However since you seem to be rolling in money judging by your solution perhaps you could loan me the money..be warned i wont be able to repay such a generous offer until i graduate in (hopefully) two years time and (even more hopefully) find employment

as the poster above pointed out..the library has a duty to provide these books to their students and members..thats why the lecturers tell us there putting them on short loan to let us all have access to them....and then don't allow access to them for five days is beyond disgraceful. All it would take it 1 security guard in the area to make sure that no-one tosses books over the side...there computer does all the work their. The guards could be well spared too as they don't do anything else it seems

freyners wrote: »
    while i would love to be in the fortunate position you seem to be in being able to splash out 200/300 per semester on books...i already barely cover my reg fee/rent as it is so splashing out isn't an option. However since you seem to be rolling in money judging by your solution perhaps you could loan me the money..be warned i wont be able to repay such a generous offer until i graduate in (hopefully) two years time and (even more hopefully) find employment

as the poster above pointed out..the library has a duty to provide these books to their students and members..thats why the lecturers tell us there putting them on short loan to let us all have access to them....and then don't allow access to them for five days is beyond disgraceful. All it would take it 1 security guard in the area to make sure that no-one tosses books over the side...there computer does all the work their. The guards could be well spared too as they don't do anything else it seems

Please get a book out on grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

He can't, they are all in the short loans section! :pac:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    what mossin said

quick side note...is the whole ul website gone down..cant seem to connect with sharepoint or sulis?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Is there not a machine by which you can take out books on short loan, on an aside a swipe card system in the library would be ideal, would go a long way to helping everyone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'm sick of it....why can you ACTUALLY complain to??

Show ID sign is up, I've never been asked.
    I was told by someone else they were just asked for their ID number, gave the first two numbers 'Yeah you're fine, head in'

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I study in a classroom most of the time but they're locked early enough (between 7 and 8 if I can remember the last time I was booted out of one)

mulner92 wrote: »
    Is there not a machine by which you can take out books on short loan, on an aside a swipe card system in the library would be ideal, would go a long way to helping everyone out.

yup theres a computer in there for borrowing and returning books in the short loan area and an alarm system for anyone trying to be cheeky...realistically all they need is that plus one of the security people to be in that area to make sure people dont try anything funny...wrecks my head when i cant take them out at the weekends

Advertisement