Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever notice the alcohol drank on tv programes

• 22-04-2011 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

We watched a lot of tv last night (TV marathon) and I noticed that everytime the "man" goes into the fridge he comes out with a bottle of beer. The women are all nursing wine (even when there's kids around) and then there's always the bad one, He goes for the hard stuff. IT'S EVERYWHERE !

What is this telling our young and not so young people ? I am sure this is not a new topic on here but it's new to me.

Just Sayin'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yup, forever perpetuating drinking as the norm

Sure look at every soap, ever. They're all in the pub from the afternoon through to the night, havin beers

Anyone who is a non drinker is either seen as uptight and needs to be persuaded to drink = be fun

Or else its because they're a recovering alcoholic

Sure one programme actually said "You can't toast an Irish man with a soda. Its time for you to grow up and be a man"

WTF!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Sometimes they do get it right. Was looking at some of my old Youtube favorites yesterday and this was one of them. Brilliant episode. Links were removed on Youtube so found this one still working:

http://www.watch-er-online.com/Watch_ER_Online_Season_11_Episode_6_Time_Of_Death.html

It's the E.R. episode with Ray Liotta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

They should be showing this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYMYv1zsAxE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Look, fact of the matter is that drinking IS the norm, of course it's portrayed in TV and Films because everyone does it. I don't drink and by choice I gave up 8 years ago, but what I do hate is the non-drinkers snobbery that seems to propagate on this forum. As long as you people have hang up about little things like this, then drink is still controlling you. The interesting thing here is that you chose to observes this phenomenon, where as I wouldn't notice or care about such an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I personally dont have any non drinking snoberry and i certainly dont have any hang ups about not drinking, And just because its the norm doesn't make it right,its not to long ago when smoking in films/tv was the norm, But you are right its only since i stopped drinking that I have noticed how easy it looks to have a few drinks with none of the after problems that it can produce.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

kjl wrote: »
    Look, fact of the matter is that drinking IS the norm, of course it's portrayed in TV and Films because everyone does it. I don't drink and by choice I gave up 8 years ago, but what I do hate is the non-drinkers snobbery that seems to propagate on this forum. As long as you people have hang up about little things like this, then drink is still controlling you. The interesting thing here is that you chose to observes this phenomenon, where as I wouldn't notice or care about such an issue.

Nah, you're way off. Watch the soaps, they're in the pub constantly. It's not reality, it's a TV show so the pub is a handy plot device etc. But even in Home and Away they're always getting a beer from the fridge or pouring wine. It's not snobbery. I drink. (I gave up for a while recently though.) In films, if there's drinking it's also never realistic. Watch Miller's Crossing for instance. Gabriel Byrne drinks a few gallons of whiskey over the course of the movie but it never effects him too much. I watched Indiana Jones on TV last week and every scene without action in it Harrison Ford was drinking a whiskey. People like him don't drink that much. It's unrealistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

It's terrible when films don't portray life exactly as it occurs. It especially annoys me when a car does a double back flip and then explodes. Completely contravenes physics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

It's terrible when films don't portray life exactly as it occurs. It especially annoys me when a car does a double back flip and then explodes. Completely contravenes physics.

We're referring to drinking, mate. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

We are talking about alcohol been consumed in large amounts in tv/films with no sort of effects as its like water.Unfortunately, alcohol advertising and promotion on film and television usually present drinking as positive social ritual, while leaving out the potential harm that drinking can cause

Advertisement