Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**SPOILERS** Series 6, Episode 1 - "The Impossible Astronaut"

• 22-04-2011 12:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Aha, Haven't done this in a while - a new Episode thread :D

So, yeah: new series, lots to look forward to (am actually more excited about the new series than I have been in some time) & all signs point to a genuinely intriguing, over-arching plot line going on.

It goes without saying that the split of the new series into two halves will no doubt result in a teeth-clenching cliffhanger, probably involving the mysterious Silence.

Having said all that, I do hope the River Song mystery doesn't drag on for too much longer; the winking and nodding about her past is beginning to grate a little

Clips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

6pm Tomorrow cant come fast enough :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Aha, Haven't done this in a while - a new Episode thread :D

And suddenly, all seems right with the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Only 23 hours to go!!! Excitement overload...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For some reason, I thought the 2-part opener would be shown together tomorrow night! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

i have been trying to avoid all i can about this, but two things i could not avoid hearing were
    one of doctor, rory, amy river, dies in this stry, and that is a promise
    we find out who river is and what she means to the doctor.

for the pedantic, although of course in the old days every season opening story was multi-part, this is the first time since the revival that this has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The suspense is killing me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only 23 hours to go!!! Excitement overload...
    Less than 6 hours now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I know I'm ready anyway!

i0ipj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

there's a public chat here to discuss the episode live as it happens - http://www.icanhazchat.com/doctorwho
    if anyone is interested

(if this is spammy feel free to delete)

oh 21 minutes...

...Hurry up!

• Advertisement

I'm finding this gameshow that's currently on a tad intriguing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

anyone know of a live stream of it? i didnt think i was going to be around when it aired so i was set to watch it during the week.

The robot hare is utterly terrifying... It would be perfectly at home in an episode of Doctor Who...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Minutes away... whoop! Phone is off, housemate is away for the weekend, no chance of interuptions...

On a side note though, what the hell is this Don't Scare the Hare thing about though? Seems like an awful gameshow...

Anyway, see ya'll in about an hour for the post match analysis...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Wooo!!!! Finally the wait is over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What a freaking fantastic episode.

So many spoilers I want to say, must resist!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Honestly I shouted "nnoooooo" at the TV as the credit music started! Haven't done that for a while.

Yep. That was brilliant. Wonderfully dark for an opening episode.

That flew by - before I knew it the episode was over...
    Lots to take in - I'm more than confused - will definitely need to rewatch it before next weeks conclusion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Amy is pregnant :eek:

I honestly didn't see that coming.

And yes I'm a bit confused after that episode, but it was a great opening episode :D

• Advertisement

I'm Sooo confused :confused:

Also incredibly excited for next week! What a kick off the new season :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

What? What? What?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Yeeeah, quite confused after that. In a good way though... I think. Very dark and moved along at a nice pace, sickened I have to wait another week to see what happens!

Cool to see Romo from Battlestar Galactica/Badger from Firefly as that FBI guy, great actor... Must be a serious sci-fi fan!

flicking through the guide for the week Dr Who Confidential doesn't seem to be repeated either on BBC three or on HD...:(

*Edit* And that was Badgers real life father playing him in the present day*

Great episode - although I did for some reason think
    it'd be Rory in the Astronaut outfit
    at the end.

It was well-anticipated and it fecking flew by too. I didn't find the pregnancy as shocking as some clearly, as when Doctor dropped the "added on a few pounds" line out of nowhere.. I kinda knew something was going on.

Line of the episode: "Urgh, wine is horrid.. I thought it'd taste more like the gums"! :D

PS - nice to see Crowley from 'Supernatural' is making ends meet.

God that was great.
    Any chance the kid in the astronaut suit is Amy's kid?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Any chance the kid in the astronaut suit is Amy's kid?
    Her accent was tough to pin down, but didn't sound American alright.

As I said, I was sure it'd be
    Rory in a silly "soap-esque" storyline of revenge on the Doctor with suspicions of impregnanting Amy
    - horribly contrived I know, but just me?

Basq wrote: »
    Great episode - although I did for some reason think
    it'd be Rory in the Astronaut outfit
    at the end.

It was well-anticipated and it fecking flew by too. I didn't find the pregnancy as shocking as some clearly, as when Doctor dropped the "added on a few pounds" line out of nowhere.. I kinda knew something was going on.

Line of the episode: "Urgh, wine is horrid.. I thought it'd taste more like the gums"! :D

PS - nice to see Crowley from 'Supernatural' is making ends meet.
    Yeah I kinda saw the pregnancy coming too, esp with the nausea.

That was all kinds of awesome.

Dark and cruel and scary and clever.

At this point if you still think RTD who is better than this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Omg! I literally WTF'd out loud when
    he was shot and started to regenerate at the start... then was shot again and killed.... also does this mean that this Doctor is the last ever regeneration?! Bah!

Also I found
    River's reference to her next meeting with him 'killing her' was a bit silly

I still think that River is
    future Amy... or could at least be Amy's daughter

Damn it was a good episode though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Ginny wrote: »
    Honestly I shouted "nnoooooo" at the TV as the credit music started! Haven't done that for a while.

We did that too! Moffat certainly loves his cliffhangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Well, after the traditional post show cigar......I must say, what a great episode!
    Plenty of WTF moments and next week can't come quick enough.

Thought there was a bit of a nod to Watchmen when
    the alien killed Joy...bit of a Doctor Manhattan splatter!!
    ...Nice!:D

After watching the trailer for next week I was surprised
    How much of the first 2 episodes were part of the series 6 trailer
    I also thought
    The spaceman that shot the doctor would be the doctor when they lifted their visor at the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Achilles wrote: »
    Omg! I literally WTF'd out loud when
    he was shot and started to regenerate at the start... then was shot again and killed.... also does this mean that this Doctor is the last ever regeneration?! Bah!
    Nah, he said himself in the Sarah Jane Adventures he's found a way around that, so wtf is actually going on is beyond me, though I'm betting on parallel universes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That flew in. Matt superb again, River very good also. Oval Office superbly done and not a bad Nixon performance.

Some very funny lines:
    Mrs. Robinson
    That's okay Mr. President, you were my second choice too
    and Rory's
    there's nothing out there
    line.

The pregnancy one wasn't a surprise to me either, wonder where they'll go with that?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Some very funny lines .. Rory's
    there's nothing out there
    line.
    I laughed at this first and thought "typical Rory line.." when he's terrified!

But then realised he actually meant it as the alien wiped his mind when he turned back to River.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A good start to the season for sure.

For those worried about this being the last incarnation or whatever... think script writer for a second.

Moffat was very specific in pointing out that the Doctor couldn't know he was to die or it'd change the time stream. The Doctor now knows, so the time stream is going to change- and there will probably be consequences to that (they were specific in mentioning that, too).

I loved
    “Do not compliment the intruder!"

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Loved it!

My inital thought at the end was that
    the girl in the space suit was amy's daughter.. but isn't that too obvious?

Was watching parts of Dr Who Confidential and they mentioned that they put hints throughout the episode on whats going to happen throughout the series.. maybe i should watch it again

• Advertisement

Watched it again this evening.. and enjoyed it as much, if not more, the second time!

Couple of things I noticed:

a) signs of Amy's pregnancy - "put on a few pounds", the Doctor's "get back to making babies" line to Rory and Amy and her nausea in the oval office. Her sudden stomach pains at that crucial moment - was it early signs of pregnancy or something more?
    b) the exchange between Amy and the alien in the bathroom - I forget the scene largely but the alien insinuated that Amy should tell the Doctor one thing (her pregnancy?) but shouldn't let the Doctor know something else - his death? Ramblings I know!
    c) definite signs that Rory's jealousy of Amy and the Doctor's relationship will come to a head this season when River was talking to him while unlocking the vault. Arthur Darvill conveyed so much heartache there.

Another trailer for the next episode:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

I am very entrigued to know what the tally marks are doing on their skin (river, rory and amy)
    perhaps keeping mark of where they are in terms of timeline - could it have an inception feel?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent episode - very dark (and scary) for a 18:00 show.
    I twigged Amy's pregnancy but didn't River Song also feel nauseous? Is she pregnant too? With the Doctor's spawn?

Moffat does love messing around with the way people view monsters ("Don't blink" and now "Look behind you!"). Good make up and a neat idea.

Going on a wild guess here - the girl in the astronaut suit is River Song. It'd fit in with her talking about being young and impressionable when she meets the Doctor.

Looking forward to the next episode tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I took the stomach cramps to be an effect of the memory wipe - River had them too!

Looking forward to the next episode tomorrow!
    Saturday, I'm afraid. The back to back turned out to be a bad rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can a mod please add "Spoilers" to the thread title? Its a pain in the hole reading this thread. ;)

Whoops. Thought it would be taken as given after broadcast :S

I took the stomach cramps to be an effect of the memory wipe - River had them too!

As did I.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Saturday, I'm afraid. The back to back turned out to be a bad rumour.
    What?!!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( Your posts on this forum just depress me...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

Doctor Who is not good tv any more. Moffatt has lost the plot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement