Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discount without Direct Debit

Options
  • 22-04-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm an existing ESB customer with Nightsaver and I pay all my bills online, so don't get any bills in the post. To avail of the new discounted rates do I have to set up a Direct Debit? I really don't want to do this and ideally would prefer to stay with ESB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi pops,

If you're an existing customer for a minimum of 12 months, you would not be required to pay by direct debit in order to avail of the new rates.

Give our Sales team a call if you like on 1850 30 50 90.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you're an existing customer for a minimum of 12 months, you would not be required to pay by direct debit in order to avail of the new rates.

Does it say that on the website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Davy,

On our FAQ section on the website (question 3), customers are advised that if they are an existing ESB Electric Ireland customer and would prefer not to pay by direct debit when switching price plans, they can nonetheless call us on 1850 30 50 90 to have this arranged.

An agent would need to process any such applications, as the online application facility is not currently in a position to take into account some of the Ts&Cs involved. (In some cases, the human touch is better. :))

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

On our FAQ section on the website (question 3), customers are advised that if they are an existing ESB Electric Ireland customer and would prefer not to pay by direct debit when switching price plans, they can nonetheless call us on 1850 30 50 90 to have this arranged.

An agent would need to process any such applications, as the online application facility is not currently in a position to take into account some of the Ts&Cs involved. (In some cases, the human touch is better. :))

Thanks,

David.

That is indeed very useful. Could I ask that you make this clearer (or more accurately state it) on the information about the price plans?

It says "Payment by Direct Debit is mandatory on the ESB Electric Ireland SuperSaver Price Plan". Period. No except for...
    https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/switchchange/priceplanTerms.htm#one

I had pretty much given up hope of getting any discount for my elderly parents. Lifelong customers of ESB, who will not sign up to a direct debit or online billing, until I saw this post.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

ixtlan wrote: »
    That is indeed very useful. Could I ask that you make this clearer (or more accurately state it) on the information about the price plans?

It says "Payment by Direct Debit is mandatory on the ESB Electric Ireland SuperSaver Price Plan". Period. No except for...
    https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/switchchange/priceplanTerms.htm#one

It's not actually the same tariff; it's something called the 'Reward' tariff. I got it applied for my granny's account, and asked them to explain it to me. It's not very obvious from the website that it's available, but when you contact them directly the reps are happy to tell you about it. My guess is it's not on the website because the online switching application isn't yet advanced enough to discern whether or not you're eligible for it, which seems to be more or less what Electric Ireland: David is saying above.

• Advertisement

ixtlan wrote: »

Thanks for the valuable feedback ixtlan, I will ensure it is passed on to our webteam.

If you have any other questions/queries, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 spanner555

Also, I have discovered you cannot avail of the full discount if you continue without direct debit payments. You get something like 8% discount for cash payments, but 12% if you setup a direct debit.

Unfortunately credit card payments cannot be setup either.

I will be checking out eirtricity for their tariffs before I commit.

Hi spanner555,

That's correct; getting the maximum discount available would necessitate setting up a direct debit. However, without direct debit you can still avail of discounts of up to 10% (8% plus 2% for online billing), or 13% if you are a dual-fuel customer (i.e. if you have both gas and electricity with us).*

Have you considered combining cash payments with direct debit; i.e. pre-paying your bill (in weekly instalments, for instance), and then leaving the direct debit to take care of the balance (if any) when the bill issues? It's an option that some of our customers find very convenient, as it essentially gives you the opportunity to budget for your electricity usage.

Just a thought. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

David.

*This applies if you are an existing customer on our Reward price plan, rather than a returning customer

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

ixtlan: one solution would be to set up the direct debit to your account and let your parents pay you in cash at some point before payment date. their name is still on the account so if any bills are unpaid they will have the poor credit history. it will be a little extra hassle for you but might work around your parents situation.

Advertisement