Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real-politik and deposits when landlord is skint!

Options
  • 22-04-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am about to enter month 11 of a 12 month lease. I am considering telling my landlord in 2-3 weeks time that I won't be paying him the last month's rent; instead I will live out my deposit.

Before I get jumped on, I know the law re deposits, I know what the lease says but I also want to add that what I am entitled to (my deposit back) may not be his to give when the time comes. Reason being? He is TOO fond of the sauce. In 10 months, he has asked for some of his rent early on THREE 'rent due' occasions. He is not PRTB registered.

I'm a very considerate tenant who has treated my landlord's house better than he or any tenants ever did (since he stopped living here). This is according to neighbours in this quiet suburban estate. I know, from good account from my own family connections, that he is major into the sauce and I also know myself as I've given him his rent and his post (long tiresome saga) on a few occasions where he couldn't come and collect because he was too busy drinking (which I only found out when I met him etc).

Its a daft situation to knowingly walk into a situation where you're down your deposit for your next move when you don't have to commit that folly. I'm not looking for legalese. I'm incredibly fair, to the point where I'm dangerous if someone else is not comparably fair back to me. Fairness is a double-edged sword, my friends.....

I would like the honest opinion of all of you, as renters and as landlords. I have cleaned, scrubbed and maintained lawns, spraying etc at my own cost. I treat others' property as, not just mine (because many house-owners treat their OWN houses very poorly), but as deserving of respect.

I also want it noted that I want to give this man good notice. I am not in the business of screwing anyone. I do not wish to drop him in it. But I also won't allow myself to be screwed. The law is irrelevant when it fails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah its a hard one to know what to do.

Maybe when you say to your landlord that you're moving out he'll say that you can use the deposit as last months rent.

Otherwise you may be waiting until he rents it out again and gets another deposit or you might never see the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are you going to claim your tax credits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Victor wrote: »

You don't need your landlord's co-operation to claim tax credits? Just fill in as many details as you have for them on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Let the deposit stand as your last months rent, you'd be right there I reckon! Let him know when you pay the last real rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I did already, thanks :) I got his RSI number from him. Told him when I was moving in that I would be claiming them or we could adjust the rent and he said, no, do whatever you want.

I will be upfront with him in telling him that I won't be paying the last month's rent. He will not be well pleased, being a man much taken with beer and frivolity :pac:

ps Thanks for the replies, people. Sometimes its good to think out loud and air what you're already planning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi Victor, just want to make sure we're on the same wavelength here. do you mean because he's not registered with the PRTB? I got a refund via his RSI number, the PRTB wasn't relevant/asked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Imo if he's not ptrb registered then you have less reason to take care of his niceties.

Advertisement